New tablet user having difficulty drawing!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New tablet user having difficulty drawing!

I've gotten so used to looking at my pencil on the paper while drawing, and now that I have to look at my screen, and not see what my hand is doing on the tablet, I have trouble drawing the simplest things. It feels very different, and I really want to get used to it, so does anyone who experienced the same problems have any advice? Things that helped? Or is it just simply practice, practice, practice?

I know one solution would probably be a Cintiq, but I honestly couldn't afford it, and I know people do amazing things with regular tablets, and I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You awnsered it yourself, keep practicing. Working on a tablet is really different from pen and paper. Stick with it, and you'll get better at it, really.

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal Painter View Post
    I know one solution would probably be a Cintiq, but I honestly couldn't afford it, and I know people do amazing things with regular tablets, and I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to as well.
    It's not as much a solution as you might think. It's still different, you'd still have to practice. Only you'd feel extra bad because you blew even more money.

Use your tablet for everything instead of switching between it and your mouse and you'll get used to it more quickly.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Use your tablet for everything instead of switching between it and your mouse and you'll get used to it more quickly.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll give that a try.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You'll get used to it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's true. It can be a real pain at first but if you force yourself to get used to it, it can be amazingly useful.

The most important tip for me was this: be sure to "line up you tablet with your screen". working at an angle will make it very difficult for you to predict the precise directions of your lines. It's a simple thing but a little bit difficult to explain clearly. hope this sloppy diagram will help:

-Mike

Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I started using my tablet, I used to do just lines, curved ones, ovals, lots of them, as precisely as possible, before actually using it to paint or draw, it seemed to help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Christian223 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also, don't expect it to behave like a pencil.

For example, when you sketch, sketch tonally with a big brush, not a "pencil" tool. Tablets don't give the same level of control and precision as real media do. A lot of it you can alleviate by working with broad strokes on a zoomed-in canvas. But for sketching where you need to see the whole composition - just take a bigger brush.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A Cintiq still has a feel of it's own that you have to get used too, it's not quite as natural as sketching on a piece of paper as you probably think, there's still a slight disconnection going on. I recently got a 21UX after 7 or so years of using an Intuos and being able to rotate the screen physically while drawing is refreshing rather than being locked into place.

What are the dimensions of your tablet? If it's the medium to large range you could try experimenting with screen/tablet mapping area. With the Intuos I never draw with the entire tablet area, always set it to what I find comfortable (roughly about A5 dimensions) because I draw mostly from the wrist rather than the arm. Just that simple tweak made drawing on a tablet easier to grasp for me. Give it a try

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiBug View Post
    The most important tip for me was this: be sure to "line up you tablet with your screen". working at an angle will make it very difficult for you to predict the precise directions of your lines. It's a simple thing but a little bit difficult to explain clearly. hope this sloppy diagram will help:

-Mike
    Is that really how most people use their tablet? Damn I got used to using it on my right side... No wonder it took me a while longer to get used to it lmao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eldritch, a lot of pro digital painters are using the tablet on the right side from the monitor, so I guess which position is more comfortable for you is the essential.
    But the key things I believe are to position the tablet to reduce repetitive stress of long hours of working, less force pressure apply to save your energy and switch angle of your hand often. Those things are not common for traditional method of work, but having in mind those tips will help to stick to the tablet much quicker.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,376 Times in 3,597 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Play games on your computer, which need hand-eye co-ordination. Using a tablet is no different.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    What are the dimensions of your tablet? If it's the medium to large range you could try experimenting with screen/tablet mapping area. With the Intuos I never draw with the entire tablet area, always set it to what I find comfortable (roughly about A5 dimensions) because I draw mostly from the wrist rather than the arm. Just that simple tweak made drawing on a tablet easier to grasp for me. Give it a try
    It's a medium, and thanks, I haven't touched the mapping area, yet, so I'll play with that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Play games on your computer, which need hand-eye co-ordination. Using a tablet is no different.
    Haha, I play a lot of games, actually. A number of which use hand/eye coordination, but I mean in those games the hand/eye movement is as basic as looking up, down, left, right, and everywhere in between. I wonder if I can play a game using my pen to look around, haha. Anyway, I'm not sure I know any games that require some more advanced hand/eye coordination. Anyone know any?

To be honest, I've been doodling for a little while now. Drawing shapes, and lines, and trying to shade things in like a colouring book. I also find that I can very loosely sketch things by roughly going over each line several times, but it's different if I want single, clean lines.

I'll just keep at it, and I won't worry about it unless after a month, or two, I don't see any progress. But I doubt that!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your advice.

Cheers!

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yep -just give it a little time and keep using it - you'll get there! If you find the surface is too slidey then you could try the flex nibs (black with white rubber like tip).

Another little tip that may or may not be related is to go to tablet prefs and under pen settings make sure the double click distance is set to off. this will help your pen strokes be more responsive especially with quick sketching or painting strokes.

I also recommend getting a tablet-glove! I got mine from http://www.smudgeguard.com A great lady who designed them and works really well

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice, trust the process, and use your other hand.... yes I know, the other hand. Your brain will understand everything more by doing this, try it.... ~M

25. The Following User Says Thank You to markwagner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    This, play Chuzzle.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try this little thing. Put a glossy paper under the area of your hand that is resting on the tablet. that takes some of the friction away and makes for more fluent strokes.

I just ordered a smudgeguard and I hope it works as promised

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can also play with the settings. I have my tablet on "mouse" mode which I find more comfortable. I don't use the tablet mode (default), because I use only the middle to paint (you can see how the surface is completely destroyed, while the corners are virtually untouched if you tilt my tablet a bit). I don't like the other mode, because I don't paint full screen and I find it clumsy. You should also see if you have acceleration enabled. It's useful for a mouse, but you want complete control when using your tablet. The acceleration should come from your hand, not from the software, but that's up to you of course. I disabled it. Now my mouse and pen move at the speed I want them to move and don't make some unpredictable jumps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I once heard a story about a man who went to his doctor for carpal tunnel syndrome. It turned out that he needed surgery and, understandably, the man was quite concerned.

"But Doctor," he said, "Will I be able to play the piano after having this surgery?"

"You certainly will!" assured the doctor.

"Well, that's wonderful, because I sure can't play the piano now!"

It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

My sketchbook (it'll get good near the end)

Members who have read this thread: 3