space ghost

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: space ghost

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

space ghost

I am making some studies in concept art. This is a re design of Space Ghost, old animation character

space ghost

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is interesting in that there are some really good looking parts/aspects and some weaker parts and oddities.

I like the Alex Ross-y costume drapery you have going on in the midsection/arms/crotch (though it does make it seem bedsheet thin - not necessarily a bad thing for Space Ghost, I guess).

The anatomy of the upper body and arms looks pretty decent, but then his head is all kinds of warped up and his legs/feet don't look real or natural. The knuckles on his left hand seem pretty confused

Lighting is also pretty inconsistent, I can't even guess the directions or the number of sources it's supposed to be.

Last thing, and I have to guess this was unintentional, but his lit up right hand sort of kind of looks like he's doing the jerk off motion, which is pretty comical considering the light energy he's creating with it.

Last edited by wooblood; March 12th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everything above the waist is passable (but with some oddities, like woodblood mentioned the head) and everything below the waist looks downright wrong;

- the legs/hips look too big for his top half, making him looks sort of dumpy with a big butt/gut
    - his crotch is especially messed up. It looks like there are 2 bulges down there and there are only creases for it on one side of his pants.
    - there's no consistent form to his legs. Neither have the outlines of proper musculature.
    - his knees are also completely different from one another. One is a softball the other is inhumanly sharp.
    - his feet are an off shape.... in fact their both the same shape, as if one foot was on both legs.

Really really need to sort out that lower body and decide if the fabric is loose or tight, seems you're not sure which.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, you didn't ask for it, so I hope you don't mind, but I did a dirty paintover for fun, with a bunch of more and less obvious tweaks and changes. Just all my own suggestions for adjustments.

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While the upper half might be passable, it looks almost too relaxed. This might be personal opinion but I would stick out his chest a bit more, pull his left arm back a tad, and make the pose more dynamic while still being casual. It might make it more interesting to look at.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.