Super Dim Sum! - Suggestions Appreciated.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Super Dim Sum! - Suggestions Appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Super Dim Sum! - Suggestions Appreciated.

Hi guys. This is my first time sketching with Corel Painter. But I hope I'm getting my idea across...

I had this idea for a card game- I wanted to convey the idea of food giving super powers to whoever eats it. But I was unsure about what else to include in the negative space to make the overall composition look more lively and moving (more subject matter? textures?). My limitation is that the composition remains as a still-life like the artifact cards in Magic: The Gathering.

I was hoping for suggestions on how to improve my composition, lighting, textures, and anything else relevant. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"During youth, the desire for self-expression is so overpowering that most people end up by losing all grasp on their real selves." - Akira Kurosawa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you really ought to make the food aspect more visible. Without the chopsticks and the name I wouldn't have been able to realize this was food at all (and the fact that you're trying to draw dim sum doesn't help, 90% of dim sum barely looks like food). So I'd definitely make the dish much more larger and clearer and make that one piece of food smaller.
    Add more eating utensils (napkin, tea cup, small extra saucer, etc).

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, let me try that out. I'll upload another composition in a bit.

"During youth, the desire for self-expression is so overpowering that most people end up by losing all grasp on their real selves." - Akira Kurosawa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really tell if you were calling this finished or if it was still in a WIP stage. To extend on what TinyBird was saying:
    1. How about working in some depth of field so we can immediately tell what's going on here, ie, extreme [clear] closeup on the dim sum and more blurred background?
    2. Does it have to be an extreme closeup? I think pulling it back so we see the hand holding the chop sticks would both make it a lot more recognizable and more of an interesting image overall (unless you want it to be one of those "guess what this extreme closeup is" images).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again guys. Sorry about the confusion. But thanks for the suggestions.

Initially, I just wanted to get my idea of "super food" across. That's why I rendered more than I should have. Actually, right now, I'm only trying to find a default composition that I can use for different food items - shrimp dumplings, chicken feet, pork spare ribs, etc...

Anyway, that was just the first composition that popped into my head. But TinyBird and wooblood made some good points. And now, I'm reconsidering my use of scale.

I guess I'm still debating how much information I should show, while still keeping the food as the main emphasis.

Here's something I scribbled really quickly. The yellow square is what I'm considering to work with now. But perhaps we should be looking down at the steamer?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.