Post your sketching gear.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

As much as pencils have served me for all these years, I'm looking foward to expand my sketching into more creative venues, and figured that I could find more info here, and also I am genuinely interested in knowing what you guys carry with yourselves to sketch. I'll start, this is a pretty short list for sure:

4h 2h hb 2b 4b and sometimes a 6b derwent pencils
    A 12 colored pencil box (derwent "coloursoft") and some random prismas
    ballpoint pen
    super cheap white page notebook (the ones that go around 1 buck) mainly to let myself lose and not ruining the "expensive " paper
    kneaded eraser
    exacto knife
    small piece of sandpaper

And that's it. Looking to expand into that. So people, what is your sketching gear?

Last edited by Morderischen; March 10th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small case of Tombow Pencils
    (4H, 3H, 2H, H, HB, F, B, 2B, 3B*, 4B, 5B, 6B)
    *Three beers, and it looks good, eh.

Cheap 50 page sketch pad.

Pink Pearl eraser

Small Sharpener

Small Triangle

Copic Pen/Marker case

And sometimes a white-out pen.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oof, I always feel like an artistic outcast when it comes to stuff like this, but my "always with me" gear includes:
    Derwent Graphic 3B and 5B pencils (two mainly if other breaks because I don't carry a sharpener)
    Sakura Micron 03 and 01 pens
    A random eraser I kidnapped from school which is surprisingly good
    A ballpoint pen
    Case of 0,7 HB lead for my mechanical pencil... that's lost.
    And extreamo cheapo A5 sketchbook from a local Tiimari (I guess a "dollar store" would be kind of an equivalent) which oddly has proved to be the best damn sketchbook I've had.

But my "fancier" set includes stuff like Pentel brushpen, Copics and... metallic coloured pencils I bought when I was 14...
    Em, moving on...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I sketch mostly on A4 80 g plain printer paper, or 120 g custom-cut cartridge paper for larger work.

I fluctuate from sketching with a graphite stick on a pad to sketching with a sharp HB pencil on a hard support. Then back again. Dunno why.

I also use red and black pencils a lot. And other colored pencils to mark areas in complex drawings.

However, my full kit includes: 3B graphite stick, HB pencil, 0.5 mm mechanical pencil, red, gray and black pencil, H, B, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B graphite pencils, "Negro" pencil, six pencil extenders, kneaded eraser, plastic eraser, precision eraser in a plastic handle, xacto knife, half a needle, brass pencil sharpener, a small ruler, a tiny Moleskin notebook, four Copic technical pens (0.1, 0.25, 0.5, 0.7 mm), a Kuretake brush pen, plus spare ink capsules and spare pencils. I might add red and blue 0.5 mm pencils to it. It's all zipped in a cheapass three-compartment school pen holder with elastic bands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. I'm a bit more barebones for going out on the town. I always keep a:

5x7 wirebound sketchbook (the pages bend back easily and I can brace it with the same hand I'm holding it with)
    .5mm zebra mechanical pencil
    an HB whatever pencil
    alvin brass barrel pencil sharpener (love this thing)
    magic rub eraser stick
    Uniball Micro ballpoint (.5mm)

I'm in the market for a good brush pen, and I should really think about adding a graphite stick to the mix...

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My usual kit:

-Pentalic 8 x 5.5 wirebound
    -Pentel .5mm mechanical loaded with HB
    -Mars eraser
    -A whole shitload of 4H and 5H pencils
    -Bic fine-tip markers

Pretty cheap, and I can stow the entire kit into one of my cargo pants pockets.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I'm going somewhere where I can spread out my stuff and get comfy (like a life-drawing session), I usually bring:

A 9" x 12 " sketchpad (something not too fancy or expensive, it's gonna get filled with mostly junk...)
    A 5.5" x 8.5" Strathmore 400 Series Sketchbook
    A dinky little pencil sharpener
    And my ugly bag of mystery pencils - I honestly don't know exactly what's in there anymore, possibly new graphite-blackened life-forms, but the stuff I use most often from that bag includes:
    - Regular old Ticonderoga #2 pencils
    - Ebony pencils
    - Various sizes of graphite sticks and woodless pencils
    - Assorted brown pencils
    - "Venus Midnight" pencils (very black)
    - Non-photo blue col-erase pencils
    - A white plastic stick-eraser
    - A pink rubber stick-eraser

For some sessions I also bring a crowquill pen, assorted watercolor and sumi brushes, a bottle of black ink, and assorted bottles of colored ink (whatever colors I don't care about squandering, because I'm going to get messy and probably spill half of them.) And a jar of water.

And a bottle of water to drink.

If I'm going out to sketch an event or just taking sketching stuff along on a ramble, I usually bring:

A 5.5" x 8.5" Strathmore 400 Series Sketchbook (Maybe two of these if I'm going to some all-day event, because I can fill one of those sketchbooks at one long event, easy...)
    A white plastic stick-eraser
    A pink rubber stick-eraser if I can find one in my mess...
    A dinky little sharpener
    And either a handful of regular old Ticonderoga #2 pencils or my ugly bag-o'-mystery-pencils (just a handful of pencils if I'm packing light.)
    And water.

Lately I'm thinking about getting a stylus for my phone so I can sketch those random things that come up when I'm making a grocery run or something and haven't brought any gear... (I've tried the finger-painting thing. It makes me want to tear my hair out.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it is just out-and-about sketching stuff, like I would have in my car for spontaneous sketching, I just have a good ol #2 pencil that my dog hasn't eaten, whatever eraser my dog hasn't eaten and a cheap sketch pad. I don't bother with fancy stuff for just sketching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    half a needle
    What's that about?

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HB mechanical pencil, and a sketchbook.

To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    What's that about?
    Half a needle? Sgraffito and impressed line on colored pencils. I fix it in the xacto holder in place of the blade when I want to use it.

Looks like I forgot to mention the spare leads for 0.5 mm pencil, a blending stump and a thoroughly empty ballpoint pen (again, used for impressed line). The kneaded eraser lives in its own mini-Altoid tin. Since someone wanted photos, here's my kit:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh what a good idea that of posting the photos. I recently( as of, today) added a box of 12 watercolor pencils to the mix, just to try them. Will post pics once I find a decent camera. And most of you people are quite pragmatic when it comes to sketching :p and here i thought I was spartan.

That no erasing policy is something I try and often fail to implent, so thats why I use pens for when I want to push myself into really thinking on what im puting on the paper. also, forgot to mention a 0.5 mechanical pencil, also purchased very recently. It's awesome to have this many responses! keep it going people ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketching gear is shown below. The upper photo is my field kit. I am minimalist in the field with a 4 pen set of Pitt artist pens and a mid size (about 5 x 7) coil back sketch book.

The second photo is my studio kit. It is much more complete as you can see and I use an 8x10 sketchbook. The only thing missing is my Koi pocket watercolour kit for quick colour sketches.

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fits nicely into the backpack I carry everywhere I go and not too heavy. Plan to add a few more things later but it has the necessities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just keep everything in my backpack, which also has more sketchbooks, pens, pencils, erasers, a ruler, etc.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tools wise I'm definitely a Staedtler wh*re, just can't go wrong with them in terms of quality. I prefer lead holders over wooden sleeved pencils, 2mm leads not those silly needle-thin 0.9's and lower nonsense. Staedtler 2mm lead sharpener works a charm, only flaw is it leaks graphite everywhere so empty it before chucking it back in your bag.

Derwent Red label hardback sketchbooks are my fave for pencil sketching, not even Moleskine can match them in that area, though Moleskines are better for using wet media because of the thick paper. I made a habit of never using an eraser when out sketching so I never pack one. I'd rather let mistakes happen than constantly afraid of making one, mothering the shit out of drawings.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really envious that you guys can do so much with so little. Post your sketching gear.

I guess I'm the typical newb - lots of stuff that I don't really (know how to) use.

This is the "regular" or "studio" that I carry around when I'm going somewhere I know there are good chances I might get to draw (I have a big bag)... Pencils and graphite sticks range from HB to 8B (not that I use them all ), charcoals, chalks in pencil to try the media.
    Name:  P3123097.JPG
Views: 1510
Size:  254.3 KB
    Emergency that I carry in my purse for sketching in the bus or train and such. The mechanicals are B, 4B and 8B.
    Name:  11032011296.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  189.6 KB

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jouzinka, Gez that's one virgin-looking set of pencils you have there, USE EM!!! ;p Even the pencil case looks too clean and healthy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use 'em! Post your sketching gear. The wrap looks brand new because it is - bought it two days ago.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ôûûâóà

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Valokuva 108.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  73.1 KB

haha OMG !! you guys bring so much stuff with you! Yesterday I sat in a cafe for 3 hours sketching and drawing and I was just fine with these. And I always am. This is what I ALWAYS carry with me. Sometimes, If I'm in the mood I might take colors and different kind of pencils etc. but I rarely carry them around. I just tend to get all over the place if I have too much stuff with me so I keep all the fancy stuff at home.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keepin it simple....

sometimes i get by with loose printer paper, a kneaded eraser, and a mechanical pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My wife (and resident buzzkill) pointed out that my field sketchbook showed my interpretation of another artist's work on display at the Glenbow museum in Calgary. In the interests of full disclosure and giving credit where credit is due, the artist is Stephen Hutchings and here is his website.

Awesome work!

http://www.stephenhutchings.com/main.php

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am finding this thread really interesting. So I thought I would add my 2 pennies Just started to get into this...

Derwent Graphic - 2H & 2B
    Unipin Fine Line - 0.2 & 0.5
    Bic Crystal
    Kneadable Eraser
    Sharpener

Underneath is a clipboard with A4 copy paper, that I don't take out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a sucker for a good 'show off your toys' topic.

1. My pencil tin. So old and battered it needs the elastic bands to keep it together, but I'll keep using it 'til it crumbles to dust or my hands fall off. It sits by me at home and gets trussed up for expeditions.
    2. In situ.
    3. The stuff. Wood pencils: HB (soft HB); 2B; 3B; 4B; 6B. Other graphite pencils: 0.5 HB; 0.7 B; 0.9 HB; 2mm 3B. Other pencils: ivory black Derwent drawing; copy blue (couldn't find these years ago, then I stumbled across some a couple of weeks past. Pity my old ideas of comic artistry fizzled out in the meantime); charcoal; white pastel. Pens: gotta have at least a couple of liners at hand; also a Pentel brush pen (but see copy blue comment). Mechanical leads. Knife. Glass paper. 2mm lead sharpener. Erasers.
    Edit: just received some (IMO) better Derwent pencil extenders. And found out Berol Venus pencils were discontinued! I need to get a glass case.
    4. Emergency cheap memo pad and 0.5 HB mech pencil, always kept in my coat pocket. Almost never used, though. Wave them goodbye, everyone. I'll probably go for a wider, softer lead; and I can't get moleskines out of my head since that recent topic.

For paper, I use a few sizes, brands, and qualities (usually low). I have a soft spot for the old Daler-Rowney red 'n' yellow spiral pads, though, for out and about.

Last edited by Vermis; March 18th, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you guys have pencil cases...with pencils and more pencils... and all...*jealous*

Here`s mine - basic set up (Moleskine, H, B, HB pencils, 0,35 mechanical pencil and 2 erasers - crappy pencil one, and a big "magical" one i absolutely , just like that gray/silver colored pencil I`ve had for 4 years now and consider it to be THE BEST birthday present I got - ever! ). Also - no camera, so here`s a crappy sketch

Last edited by PxelSlayer; March 13th, 2011 at 04:03 AM.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm impressed!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PxelSlayer, Wow! your like a human camera! show off :p

That fat kid, Holy shit balls candy store!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    Also - no camera, so here`s a crappy sketch
    Haha! You know you're at a good art forum when somebody says, "Sorry, I don't have a camera to photograph my art supplies. Here, let me just paint them for you."

@Thatfatkid You do not have nearly enough artwork posted on these forums for the amount of supplies you possess. Get on that!

My Sketchbook

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1