C.O.W. #206. Goblin's Best Friend - Voting!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Who truly is Golbin's Best Friend?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • emerging

19 23.46%
  • drunken_drinker

0 0%
  • fragoso

0 0%
  • GoodSoup

7 8.64%
  • JanJager

4 4.94%
  • Lane.

12 14.81%
  • Eclectix

2 2.47%
  • Chris Hershberger

1 1.23%
  • GEB

12 14.81%
  • metal_militant

1 1.23%
  • porcupine

2 2.47%
  • Ramitxon

15 18.52%
  • Si_Swe

1 1.23%
  • chriskot

4 4.94%
  • NoobConcept

1 1.23%
  • ghūl

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following

ROUND #206 VOTING

Topic: Golbin's Best Friend.

Single Vote (<20 entries)...

Deadline for the voting: Wednesday Mar. 23rd, 2011

Remember to show some love, thank the people who's entries you liked but couldn't vote for. Also, if you've got the time, please add some crits.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; March 17th, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: emerging

Concept: Ruttcut Digger

People's best friends are dogs... this is what i imagine a goblin's best friend pet to look like. This hairless creature spends most of it time underground. It's habitat as well as ability to be tamed and trained easily made it a popular pet in many goblins' underground homes.

Last edited by emerging; March 12th, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: drunken_drinker

Concept: horned tentacle
    I want it to look a bit helpless and creepy. It's not a creature to be afraid of just grab it by the horns and place it where ever a goblin thinks it would be nice to look at.
    Maybe it's good as a mount as well... don't really know maybe ask a goblin ^^.

Last edited by drunken_drinker; March 16th, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK

appreciate well-meant critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Fragoso

Concept: Gruli

Here's my humble contribution.

That's a especimen called Gruli, hope you like it!
    Description below.

"I like criticism, but it must be my way."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fragoso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: GoodSoup

Concept: Horgaxian pig

These fragile and cute looking creatures are, in fact, extremely tough and resistant inhabitants of the swamp, where they spend most of their time in the water, scouring the bottom for plants and rests of dead animals; like living vacuum cleaners.
    It may result weird as of why Goblins choose these creatures as companions, but the reason is actually pretty obvious: they have a natural talent for finding strange objects in their habitat, such as sunken treasure (or "shinies"), which they can be trained to retrieve. While most of the times their findings are brought directly, smaller objects, like rings, can be swallowed, turning into what Goblins call "a lucky dropping".

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodSoup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Goblin's Best Friend

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Lane.

Concept: Noggin Hopper

Noggin Hoppers are small frog-like creatures that love to dwell on the warm bald heads of goblins. When groups of goblins are together, the Noggin Hoppers will often jump from one head to the next. Goblins prize these creatures because they provide much needed company (the forest can get rather lonely while gathering herbs), and they eat the pesky insects that are attracted by a goblin's foul oder.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Eclectix

Concept: Ghasthound

Ghasthounds are all of the nastiest bits of rats, dogs, bats, moles, and cats wrapped in a grotesque package. Clever and resilient creatures, goblins have long valued them as companions for their ability to thrive in the same conditions that goblins thrive in. Ghasthounds have exceptional hearing, eyesight, and smell to assist them in the dark, dank places they call home, and they possess large front claws used for tunneling in the earth. Because these creatures are small and furtive, goblins have been known to train them to perform stealthy tasks such as tunneling into human camps to steal loot. Preferring to beg for scraps over hunting for food, they are not keen on combat and will usually flee when confronted rather than fight. When cornered, however, ghasthounds can be quite formidable.

Name:  COW 206.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  155.5 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Long Tongue Gorblepug

Artist: Christopher Hershberger

Concept: Long Tongue Gorblepug

The Long Tongue Gorblepug is a goblin's best friend. The are about the size of a small dog and that makes them easy to control and ideal for travel. They are low maintenance, aside from excessive drooling. They are very loyal to their masters and can often be trained to do simple tasks, such as any a standard dog could learn. A notable feature is their tongue which on average is about twice as long as their head and will often drag on the ground. Gorblepugs will eat just about anything and can go for long periods of time with little water.

Last edited by Chris Hershberger; March 15th, 2011 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    [*B]Artist: [*COLOR=White]GEB[/COLOR]

Concept: [*COLOR=White]Worry Wart[/COLOR]

The Worry Wart is about the size of a large cat, does it's best to look interested in your stories and will generally eat anything that you throw at it. It has become an increasingly popular pet within Goblin households over recent years. This is partly due to the enormous cost of keeping wargs (which are still the most desirable pet) and decreasing tunnel space as a result of overpopulation.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monkatoo

Name: metal_militant

Title: Monkatoo

The monkatoo is an avian primate that lives in tropical rainforests. It has increasingly become a favourite among goblins for its colourful ridge on its back that, though attractive, makes it an immensely tough pet to pet. Goblins find a certain morbid fascination with this fact. The monkatoo also bites creatures that it does not like/are not its master quite readily, allowing goblins to have their space to themselves.

Last edited by metal_militant; March 16th, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added facial hair. Colour correction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Gnorglok

The Gnorglok truly is a goblins best friend. It warms bed on cold nights, is big enough to hide behind when nasty orcs wants to beat goblin and always licks plate clean so that goblin no need to do the dishes!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ramitxon

Concept: Spike

One of the really wonderful things in life is having a pet. In my case, as a bloodthirsty battle hardened tough goblin, my good old Spike is the perfect companion. He doesn’t mind that you have gone out to war for an hour or a whole week. He is immensely happy as soon as he sees you opening the door coming back from work. Maybe the battle had turned out badly, or perhaps the bloody Orks had changed their loyalties again, depriving you of your well deserved loot, or you have been unable to satisfy your thirst for blood. All that doesn’t matter for him. All he really wants is to have you by his side, a bowl full of meat and his skull to play. For me, happiness is just to relax after a good hard day’s work, resting your feet on his back while you read the newspaper.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ramitxon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Bulwarf

Seen in a good many goblin dwellings, the Bulwarf is a loyal companion to its green-skinned masters. The creature is hefty and it's legs are tiny, resulting in a teetering, clumsy walk. The creature's habits include: mess-making, loud squelching noises, farting and digging. The perfect companion for any goblin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: chriskot

Concept: Domestic Todigog

Todigogs were originally encountered by the first goblins settling in the hills along the coast many years ago. Originally regarded as pests by their discoverers, todigogs were known for frequently raiding homes and warehouses for food. Despite their size and comfort around the goblins, they proved themselves to be surprisingly difficult to keep out and even more difficult to exterminate. Over time, their presence became reluctantly accepted as an inevitable part of living in the area. Certain goblins began taking particularly persistant todigogs into their homes, if only to avoid having to constantly repair the walls and floors that the creatures would otherwise burrow through. Others discovered that the todigogs would eat less if they were regularly offered food instead of needing to steal. For most of these goblins, reluctant acceptance slowly trasformed into fondness for the stupid, dirty creatures waddling around their homes day after day. Todigog adoption grew increasingly common and their friendly nature allowed their popularity as household pets to spread quickly throughout goblinkind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: NoobConcept

Concept: Lumster

When you are a Goblin looking for a pet, Lumsters are the way to go! Docile, loyal but somewhat independent, these are the pets of choice for nowadays' Goblins. Hary and fluffy, they'll gladly sit on their master's lap and purr while he relaxes reading a book... with the additional advantage of providing a natural light source thanks to their luminescent tail. Natural cave-dwellers, lumster are also equipped with strong claws and eyes specially built for almost pitch black environments, which makes them ideal for the average Goblin household.

Last edited by NoobConcept; March 16th, 2011 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ghūl

Concept: Nixy
    The Nixy, a quite beast, tends to cling on the owner and crawls around similar to a monkey. Drawn to the beat of its owners heart, it cares not much of anything other than eating and sleeping, but it does have one weird attribute, when left near or on something mechanical, it cannot help itself, for some odd reason it starts dismantling it. Its unexplainable, but Goblins enjoy seeing them work away.

Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi - "An ounce of practice is worth more then tons of preaching."

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my crits for the week:

emerging - Really nice illustration. It’s got the high quality of rendering I expect from you. I like that you’ve conveyed goblins in a softer, gentler way and your creature really functions to reinforce that. The only complaint I have is that, because of the way the creature sits in the goblin’s lap, we aren’t able to see it’s feet, which sounds super petty, but the I always think it’s important to show them, since they’re a fairly important feature on any creature.
    drunken_drinker - Nice job with the painterly rendering. A (for lack of a better word) narrative description of the creature is always nice, even if it’s just a sentence or two. It would have been nice to see the entire creature, and maybe some context so we can see scale.
    fragoso - You’ve clearly put a lot of thought into your creature concept and the presentation is nice, but the fact is that it’s showcasing kind of an uninteresting design. The way the creature just sort of peters off into some kind of slug-like lower half and even the way the head is almost totally round feels like lazy creature design to me, which is really a shame, because it seems to me that with some animal studies and some practice you could have produced something really good. I’m interested to know, in all three representations, it has a broken horn, does it just only grow 1 horn, ever? Or did you just decide to make that asymmetry a repeated element? As far as technical elements go, you have a week, so use that time to the fullest, do some studies and make sure you have an interesting design (maybe post in the wip thread and try to get some feedback). Finally, don’t use pure black for shadows, it always looks a little off.
    GoodSoup - One of my favorites this round. I love the sheepish look the creature is giving the goblin. It totally reminds me of when my dog would spill the garbage all over the floor in search of a snack, then look up at me with that exact expression right before I starting yelling at him. The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that the shadow is such a saturated hue.
    JanJager - Very high quality work from you, as usual. Great expression and atmosphere. I think the palette looks a little desaturated, and could have been made more diverse with a fair degree of ease.
    Lane. - I really like your painterly style a lot and your concept is clear and well executed. The bits of blue read a bit strangely, in that in some areas they kind of look like they’re just really oddly coloured shadow, instead of part of the skin. Perhaps if the blue elements were repeated in more places on the creature this would be less ambiguous?
    Eclectix - I’m actually surprised that so few people took the vicious route. Your rendering is pretty nice, for the most part. Areas I think could be improved are the back legs, which look a little rough, and the torso, right above the fore-arms, which is flatter than the rest of the creature. Other than that, try and avoid black as much as your can. Nice otherwise, reminds me of Howlers, from D&D (who I think are also associated with goblins... or maybe hobgoblins).
    Chris Hershberger - I like the sense of laziness and general lack of hygiene that I get from your creature. This is a piece where I feel the textures might be a bit overpowering, though. In some areas they completely overpower the form of the creature. I would recommend using a larger, more opaque brush, in general. I may also look into some reference on drooling creatures, the drool is all coming off in one huge gob, where it tends to look better in strands.
    GEB - Very nicely executed. I like the concept that there are other, cooler pets and that these guys are more ideal because smaller pets are better for overpopulation. It has great rendering and an excellent sense of personality, but I wish it’s skin wasn’t so straight grey. A more chromatic grey would have brought more life to the piece.
    metal_militant - While your design is nice and original, there are a few things you could have done that would have made this piece a lot better. Firstly is the palette, which is entirely warm colours; even using a grey-blue for the background instead of a yellow-ish pink tone would have helped balance it a lot more. Secondly is to use reference, the branch seems to be moving into the frame, but where the actual creature is, it does an awkward shift to being perpendicular to the viewer. Reference would have also helped creating more believable muscle structure, and would have helped make the avian talons look a bit less awkward than they are at present. You use a lot of saturated hues and more variance would really help the right parts of the creature stand out, since right now too much of it is vying for our attention. Lastly is tonal quality. There is a reason a lot of artists work in black and white on a piece, for a while, before switching to colour, because it allows them to regulate tones more easily. A piece should contain a good balance of highlights, dark areas and midtones. At the moment, the creature and the only environmental element are almost entirely midtones. I hope to see you come back in future rounds, so we can watch you improve!
    porcupine - When I saw your piece, I knew immediately that I wanted to vote for it. I love children’s books, and the excellent sense of personality and wonder they convey. This, to me, has the same feeling. Even though the design is really simple, and there are things like the claws, which aren’t fully anatomically sensical, there is a sense of whimsicality that is undeniable. It’s minimalist bit it works really well. Best piece I’ve seen you do in this competition so far. Great work.
    Ramitxon - There’s not a lot I can say about this piece beyond the fact that it’s really solid. Great textures and I think the whole thing has a great sense of fun to it. I feel like some of the spikes that are fully in the light could still, maybe use some more tonal variance, since some of them come off as a bit flat, and the way the chair just sort of ends is a bit bothersome. Great stuff though, I hope you get the chance to participate in some of our future topics, too.
    chriskot - Your creature strikes me as really believable in the context of the world you’ve established. Your goblin’s expression even supports, with it’s sense of both love of and annoyance with this creature. I think the palette get’s a little oversaturated in the shadows, with the bright reds etc, which would benefit from being cooled down a bit.
    NoobConcept - I think your concept works, and the lighting and set-up for the illustration is really nice for the most part. I think that it’s difficult to pull off the frontal view, and that manifests in your piece in a couple of ways. Firstly, the positioning of the legs is really awkward, and their form comes off a little too inflated, and you get issues like the awkward way the foot just sort of... extends off the base of the leg. Secondly is the way that it becomes really iportant to establish form of the face through light and shadow, how far does the snout protrude etc. I tend to find that the frontal view always flattens the creature’s face.
    ghūl - I really like the idea of the compulsive mechanical dismantling in your description and it really makes me wish that you had illustrated it in the process of this rather than floating in space. I realize that there were some issues of time constraints, so I’ve taken that into account. My only other suggestion, for the moment, is not to use white for highlights that are on a surface that’s not meant to be shiny or glistening, use off-whites in yellow and blue hues, then mix the paint building up to a tone very close to, but not, white.

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_Swe View Post
    metal_militant - While your design is nice and original, there are a few things you could have done that would have made this piece a lot better. Firstly is the palette, which is entirely warm colours; even using a grey-blue for the background instead of a yellow-ish pink tone would have helped balance it a lot more. Secondly is to use reference, the branch seems to be moving into the frame, but where the actual creature is, it does an awkward shift to being perpendicular to the viewer. Reference would have also helped creating more believable muscle structure, and would have helped make the avian talons look a bit less awkward than they are at present. You use a lot of saturated hues and more variance would really help the right parts of the creature stand out, since right now too much of it is vying for our attention. Lastly is tonal quality. There is a reason a lot of artists work in black and white on a piece, for a while, before switching to colour, because it allows them to regulate tones more easily. A piece should contain a good balance of highlights, dark areas and midtones. At the moment, the creature and the only environmental element are almost entirely midtones. I hope to see you come back in future rounds, so we can watch you improve!
    Thanks so much for this. The truth is, this is my first ever serious creature design that I have even attempted to render fully. It took me a lot of self-belief boosting to actually go ahead and enter this competition on this website because I was just too intimidated with all the breathtaking,professional art that everyone was submitting.I realized that it would only benefit me if I entered the competition because I would get critique like this that would pinpoint exactly where scope for improvement lies in my work. I have decided to enter this competition every week as it is the only way I can grow as an artist, it gives me reason to keep practising and most importantly, I get feedback from professionals. So yes, you will see come back in future rounds. I hope to improve with the healer, keeping all this feedback in mind. May the Force be with you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it was so hard to vote, because there are a lot of them with GREAT quality, so i decided to base my vote in what the idea is rather than the quality, so my vote goes to goodsoup the main reason for this is that it reminds me of my dog when he does something bad like poop inside the house or play with my sandals, and the face it does when im yelling at him, i dont know how dogs do that but its like all my anger for my sandal is gone when i see his cute face like "im sorry", and thats the very same face i see in goodsoup comopsition ;D like "awww he is so sorry".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drunken_drinker - Good - great colors, pretty decent rendering, nice idea, original design. To improve - Picture out of the context will never be able to be read as goblin's best friend; Tentacles could use some more work; His left horn is not in right perspective

fragoso - Good - interesting style; Like the idea with rough skin on the belly. To Improve - Just overall everything can be improved; values; color; linework; design; originality; lighting

GoodSoup - Good - rendering; originality; pink slippers!; reminds me of my jack russell puppy (in terms of its mischievous behavior); you and jager were my two favourites and very close competition as for who to vote for. To Improve - Some lighting does not make much sense like goblins hand (wouldn't it be just as lit as the creatures back?); the feather like projections on the creature don't seem to be rendered enough and put in place properly so they do attract a lot of attention but when you look at them they are not the most rendered part of the painting.

JanJager - Good - almost voted for you; great atmosphere; original design; really looks lazy; love the color palette. To Improve - the goblin's ears in the back makes it look like he is Batman; maybe the creature's eyes are a little too cartoony for the rest of the seriousness of the picture

Lane. - good - great rendering; nice colors; pretty interesting take on the size and placement of your creature. To Improve - i did not vote for you because the creature seems to be too unoriginal - to me its a lizard.

Chris Hershberger - Good - use of texture; colors. To Improve - Lighting (where is the light? it is missing one.. would look better with a source); Not original - looks like a green dog; get rid of the line behind the creature what is the purpose of it?

Eclectix - Good - pose and atmosphere; really freaky; nice rendering on the eye. To Improve - i think you are using too much black; the design is not original - looks like a hyena.

GEB - Good - you were my third choice to vote for ( too bad its not multiple vote); original design and still able to resemble a dog; nice rendering; love the ears and the eyes; To Improve - not sure about so much black and white tbo - some more color would definitely make it pop out

Metal_militant - Good - really looks like it fits in the fantasy genre; design; To improve - rendering is pretty sloppy; too warm; not much color contrast at all; tree branch and even the creature are missing a lot of form and it seems there is no light source;

Porcupine - Good - colors and the relationship between the goblin and the creature. To improve on - as good as it is in its own style it is hard to put it up against well rendered images as concept art often follows a lot of traditional rules like realism, form and light.

Ramitxon - Good - rendering; placement of the shot; great character to the creature; To improve - as great as the image is it lacks a huge load of originality - i have seen this kind of creature 100s of times - to me this is just a lizardlike dinosaur.

SiSwe - Good - original design and colors; like the little accessory detail on the goblin pretty humorous; To Improve - cannot figure out the light source if there is one; creature is a little too skewed compared to the goblin which makes me look at the goblin a lot more; because the light is missing there are no darker shadows and it looks too light and weightless; Some sharper edges would help too

chriskot - Good - nice picture overall; great grayscale as seen in wip section; To Improve - i think the colors are way too saturated; has a lot of potential but color needs work

NoobConcept - Good - rendering and lighting; colors; To Improve - the overall design of the creature is not appealing - try to play around with a sketch a lot more before you get down to rendering it since you got the rendering

ghūl - Good - original design; colors. To Improve - you could have done a lot more to the back light - right now it's too thin and does not bring out the form at all which is the whole purpose of the secondary light source from the back; the tail can use some work.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was my first COW ever (and my second post all-time) and I really appreciate your crits and commentaries. I, for one, have already extracted a couple of conclusions thanks to you guys:

a) Try to avoid full-frontal poses, since it makes the understanding of the creature's anatomy is more difficult.

b) Don't rush it. Work on the sketch until you nail it and only then step into rendering and detailing. No matter how good you rendering is, if the foundations of the picture are weak, you won't be able to pull a good work.

So once again, many thanks for your crits. Let's see if I manage to get something done for COW #207!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to NoobConcept For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging: This is really excellent! Great job with the lighting and composition. I think its only shortcoming is the lack of visibility of the creature, because so much of the anatomy is hidden. For the sake of the painting though, it was probably a worthy sacrifice.

drunken_drinker: Overall the painting is done well, and has nice contrasts. However, it is hard to understand the anatomy below the head. For creature "designs" it is generally best to show the entire body, as clearly as possible.

fragoso: This creature is cute, but impractical. I feel that you need to spend some time observing animal anatomy, and make sure that you draw from good reference. I like that you created a back story for the creature, that ads some nice depth.

GoodSoup: This is well done. The creature design is cute and original. Perhaps having the goblin's shadow overlap the creature would add to the drama. Nice bunny slippers.

JanJager: Awesome work as usual! You might could push the light and shadow further, but it works well as is.

Eclectix: That's one scary creature! It's also very ugly, which is great. The lighting is soft and fuzzy. If you could implement some sharp cast shadows I feel the forms would be greatly enhanced. The claws don't appear to contact the ground; cast shadows would help. I like the translucent skin.

Chris Hershberger: The lighting and concept are fairly dull. It is hard to paint convincing light on a solid gray background. You could try a reddish/warm environment that would contrast to the green creature. There would then be bounce light to help shape the "planes" of the form. Make sure the knees and other joints read very clearly. Those are crucial to creating believable anatomy. Right now the leg looks like one rounded oval. I don't think that body is a good match for the head.

GEB: This is really cool! I actually like the black/gray skin because it enhances the bright color of the eyes and ears. From a practical standpoint, i'm not sure the arms and leg match style of head, but it works as a fantasy creature. Nice level of detail, I especially the way you handled the hair on the tail.

metal_militant: I noticed that you painted this one a plain white background, which is really difficult because it is hard to get a sense of the lighting and values. The creature design is creative and fun, you did a good job there. You just need to work on rendering light and shadow, which is learned by drawing from life.

porcupine: You have a well developed, and attractive style! That goblin has a true friend. I think you could push the environment further though. Think of it as a theater stage, where there is a foreground, mid-ground (where the characters are), and a background. You might like this artist: Brittany Lee Notice how she uses foreground objects to frame the composition.

Ramitxon: Overall this is well done. It's a funny scene. I think this needs some sharp cast shadows, because right now everything gradually fades into each other.

Si_Swe: The creature is original, though I feel it is more of a livestock animal than a best friend. Like the goblin is leading it to a market to trade in. I agree that the lighting should be enhanced, because right now it is evenly lit all over without any distinct shadows. Focus on the "planes" of the form. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51913

chriskot: Overall nice design and character. It looks like you used the color dodge tool to create the lighting. This makes all the surfaces look glossy and metallic. So use those digital tools cautiously! The lighting is like that from the flash of a camera. It is straight on, so the objects and scene are flattened.

NoobConcept: This is a creative design. For some odd reason, I get the impression that the creature is very large, even though the books show it is very small in scale. I think it looks similar to the traditional yeti, or snow monster. You may want to have a secondary light source that can be bounced into the shadows, so they are not completely black.

ghul: The colors and design are nice, but the pose is hindering the impact of this image. He's just kind of floating there, looking sad. Give us a pose that makes the creature appear to be alive. When you have solid colors, such as the red of this creature, toss in some greens and various other unexpected colors to spice it up. In reality there is a lot of variation. PS, nice blog.

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work guys, but why can't i vote for more then one person, anyway emerging, lane and janjager great work, in every way

M

38. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MatejaPetkovic - The reason you can't vote for more than one is because we do things a little differently than Character of the Week. Character of the week works well with multivote because its average entry total is above 20. Here in Creature of the Week we don't get as much attention, so we do single votes unless the entry total equals or exceeds 20 entries.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This round brought out a lot of talent.

Thanks for all of the crits, I appreciate all the feedback I can get. I realized that I've developed a bad habit of wanting to keep all the black lines of my line drawing because I'm reluctant to let them go, but this is just not attractive. I didn't even notice that I'd made this mistake until I read the crits. I've made some edits to my piece but I don't want to post it in here since this is the voting thread for the works already posted, so I've posted it in my sketchbook. I'd love to get more crits from people so I can get another perspective on the improvements I've made. You can find it at the bottom of the page here)

emerging I love the expression on the goblin's face, it's pure adoration. The textures on the chair and wall are very nicely done; it's a great image and it was a serious contender for my vote.

drunken_drinker
    I like the idea of the head being place-able anywhere, but I feel that it would have been better if you had illustrated this better in the image somehow.

Gruli I guess ince I apparently need to work on this myself, I may be qualified to say that you should try to stay away from using straight up black for shadows and the like. The composition could be better I think if the floor texture didn't drop off completely at the corners leaving the edges flat tan value. Maybe some vignette or something to frame it would have been better.

GoodSoup
    Very cute little critter. The way the goblin is scolding him in slippers with face not shown reminds me of Saturday morning cartoons I watched as a kid somehow. Tom and Jerry maybe?

JanJager Another piece which would have gotten my vote if there weren't so many other pieces of exceptional quality contending for it. The spots don't quite sell me, but the creature does. He reminds me of my fat lazy cat with that look in his eye.

LaneI chuckle a bit imagining droves of goblins roving about with these things sitting on their heads. The creature is nice but the background seems flat, perhaps the values are a bit too warm or the rendering too sharp.

Christopher Hershberger You've captured the quintessential pug. The swollen eyes give a lot of character to your creature. I'd suggest you practice rendering object surfaces from life, I think this would help you improve your future pieces.

GEB A seriously great creature. I think a lot of what makes it great is lost though as the grey tones of the creature are absorbed by the grey of the background. The dark shadows could be dramatic in some contexts, but there is no context.

metal_militant
    I think you've received some great crits already. Just try to be patient and work on your values. This is something I'm also having to remind myself to do more of lately; values are so important.

porcupine
    Very fun! This reminds me of a book I used to have as a kid about a boy who had a dragon that ate apricots or something like that. The illustrations were just fun and full of fancy and whimsy. It's hard for me to critique such a stylized work, but if I had to point at one thing I'd say that the curvy swoop shape of the spines on the creature's back don't look very organic or natural to me, perhaps because of the orange ridge running through them.

Ramitxon
    The expression on the creature's face and the overall concept got my vote this round. It really looks content and natural in the goblin's rustic cave/home. Nothing seems out of sync. The only nit I could pick is the same problem I had this round with my own piece; the black lines around the creature's spines aren't consistent with most of the rendering in the rest of the picture, and I think it would be better without them.

Si_Swe I like that this creature looks vaguely like a pig, but more like a pig's skull (without actually looking like a pig's skull). I think it's the way the jaw goes way back and is full of teeth. I like it, but it's rendered quite fuzzy and out of focus. I think most of your work is rendered better than this one.

chriskot I both like and dislike the red/green palate. I like the color tones, but the deep red shadows aren't working for my eyes. Overall nice rendering.

NoobConcept
    I don't have much to add on tp of the crits you've received. I think the lighting was a bit tricky on this piece and hard to pull of. The fur looks quite furry, and the general idea is good, and I'm sure we'll see better work from you in the future because you seem ready to apply what you are learning.

ghūl Obviously this might have been better if you weren't feeling rushed. There's nothing to indicate that this might be a goblin's pet, or any sort of pet for that matter. Hopefully you'll get more time to work on the next one.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

42. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, thanks for all the crits and tips! Thats exactly what i need right now. It's my first contribution ever on this forum, so I'm just glad beeing able to participate. I will be trying harder and will keep contributing, so please be patient! =)
    Guess if it doesn't meet the minimum requirements it doesn't even get to the pools right? That makes me less worried.

I dont think I have the background or skills to say much about the other works, but I feel I should anyways, so here it goes! These are just some personal thoughts.

emerging - Pretty cool. I really like the way the fire lights the scene! Also amazing details.
    drunken_drinker - I like the grabing it by the horns and taking it wherever you want. But also think you should work better on the creature description, I feel that's the coolest part when you're seeing someone's work.
    GoodSoup - I love the goblin's slippers! As Si_Swe said it makes it feel like home. I've also seen that scene before!
    JanJager - Amazing artwork, really nice. I loke the goblin on the background doing whatever goblins do. Probably searching for precious stuff.
    Lane. - Cool idea! Also nice artwork. One can easily notice your "conventional" painting background, wich is cool. Nice sketchbook btw.
    Eclectix -Nice Creature. It would absolutely scare me, so nice description!
    Chris Hershberger - I like your creature, and the art as well. I just feel you should have worked on a background. It feels like it's floating.
    GEB - Really nice artwork, but also it lacks some background. Also think you could have gone further in explaining the reason for the creature's long and weird ears, anf funny cheeks. You have great material to create a wonderful narrative, and doesn't. It almost makes me jealous!
    metal_militant - Cool creature, artwork and narrative. Don't really get the background though.
    porcupine - I loved it! Its really nice to see something diferent, not the usual method. Beautiful!
    Ramitxon - Pretty cool. I like how the creature is happily sleeping. And thats a hard to spot goblin's activity, good job!
    Si_Swe - Nice artwork and idea. Although its aparently not a must, I always think the background adds to the creature's narrative.
    chriskot - I like how it's a disgusting creature. Reminds me of a pig maybe. Some people do pet pigs, so it kinds of makes sense! Nice artwork as well.
    NoobConcept - I dont think goblins actually read, do they? But I like the creature beeing usefull for something. Nice art.
    ghūl - I really like your description! I would have one of those weird things dismantling creature. Just make sure he stays away from my stuff! I think it lacks some background though, it just feels weird he is just sitting there, sort of floating.

"I like criticism, but it must be my way."

44. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fragoso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know who votes on what in here but it seems the majority could CARE LESS about good art work. I voted for Emerging, his illustration is hard visually and I feel the concept delivers well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lege1 - Your opinion is your own, but do not insult others' choices for voting. No matter what one believes the correct choice to be, that is their decision. I'm also not sure if you mean we should care more or less about what is "good artwork" (the expression really should be couldn't care less). If you mean that we should care more, then you're being insulting to a large population of artists in a completely non-constructive way. Refrain from doing so in the future. I will not tolerate outright insults in this competition.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si Swe: I am just speaking my mind on something I feel is not a good thing. I didn’t insult anyone directly so don’t bother getting your feathers ruffled friend. I respect other peoples opinions and in return I feel they should respect mine as well. Spare me on the grammatic technicalities please, and just know that what I am trying to say is:

“ I’d just like to see a better balance of art to concept.”

I think the majority of us can recognize a good image whether we are able to produce it ourselves or not. Jakkas for instance, along with Scorge, Emerging and a few others are models to look up to in my opinion regarding quality of artwork. I feel a few people cop out on the artwork aspect to just build up a fancy concept and then that gets votes which in my opinion is wack. I feel like taking pride in producing a good cow should be of good balance between the art and concept, but obviously it seems the rules have changed some in recent times.

Last edited by Lege1; March 18th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.