Thanks

A Website Question

I origionally wrote a big book here about my fustration trying to figure out how to solve a problem with uploading images to websites. The problem was, every new jpeg image I uploaded, was somehow turned into giant bitmap images. The upload menu in Dreamweaver told me the new images were jpegs, but when I went to the website and tried to save a few images, they were being saved as huge untitled bitmaps. I never save untitled bitmaps. Plus, the site was running terribly, and this is a fast machine with DSL. I got on another computer at another location to check the site there, and the bitmap nonsense was gone, and the site was running smoothly. I origionally had many questions posted here, now my only question is, does anyone know why a computer would read jpeg images from a website, as giant bitmaps? Because that totally threw me off as I was trouble shooting the website. And does anyone know why a website would run slowly on one computer (the one that read as bitmaps), and run efficently on another computer that has equal abilities and both with DSL? I was starting to think the site was running slow because of bitmaps, but since the new images are running great on my other machine, which is equally as good as the other computer, and they are reading as the jpegs that they are, their's gotta be something else that caused that. Anyone have any ideas? I'm still trying to learn all this computer stuff.
    Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; April 7th, 2004 at 02:33 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Chris,
    I just went tru your site and as you said the site was running smoothly. I have no idea what's the problem but if all the people can see the jpegs instead bmps it's OK for now 'til you can solve that issue.

-good luck

Thanks
    Hi Chris!

Just delete your temporary files of your browser. This will solve the jpeg as bitmap and slow surfing problem.

You should set the cache of the temporary files to 5-10 MB, it's actually not necessary to have more.

Thanks
    Thanks for responding guys.

FozzyBar, the angry cloud of madness has left! Thanks for the info about deleting the temperary files from my browser! That solved everything!

One thing though that I learned was, when I went to look for the folder to delete the cookies from, and the temporary files from the local settings folder, I learned that those folders where both hidden so I couldn't see them, nor did I know they existed. I never knew that there were hidden folders on your computer. I was told that the folders I needed to delete the temporary info from was not suppose to be hidden, but they were, preventing me from deleting the temporary crap. Now I know about hidden folders and how to unhide them, and now I underatand why the bitmap nonsense happens, and also, I see that the myth that temporary internet files have nothing to do with a website running slow is incorrect, and that it DOES make certain sites run slow if enough temporary internet files from that site are saved on your machine. It's too bad you can't know all this information in an easy and user friendly way and instead you have to either ask other people or spend weeks hoping to get lucky through trial and error. The computer should have pop up windows or something that asks if you've had this or that problem and if you need answers, you click somewhere and it tells you how you can solve it, because I would probably of never found out about hidden folders or the relation between website function on the net and temporary files. It's irritating when information isn't easy to get on your own.

Thanks alot for the info, I appreciate it!

Thanks
    I don't know if you deleted the temp files by hand in the file-browser (sounds like that), but you can do this also in the preferences/options of your internet-browser.