Savannah College of Art and Design

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Savannah College of Art and Design

hey what sup ,

im new here and I have researched on this but I got a question. Have any of you heard of Savannah College in Georgia, and if so is it any good? I could go to the Art Institute here in Houston if I wanted to but...lets face it getting a BFA at a good university may probably give me the schooling I need to be more succesful. I want to get a b/g on fine arts and the programs here for that seem to suck. Thanks for any info.

Justin

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello officerwachy. Yeah, SCAD is a good school. I did my studies there. The school has a wide range for sampling of different areas of artistic study. I was in the computer arts program, but I also did some sculpture, painting, and sequential art. All of these programs are good. The teachers I had work at a professional level and know how to communicate. The classes are usually below 25 students so you get good one on one attention. Some of the classes are rare, but valuable. The renderman course was something I never thought of needing, but now I see it's an excellent way to learn about the programming behind computer graphics. You won't find that kind of course (geared towards artists) in many schools. When I visited SCAD I expected it to be some back-country, poverty-stricken school. Quite the opposite my friend. The computer arts facilities are excellent, probably the best in the nation. Ringling might be the only one that can compete. SCAD's Montgomery building supports most of the main 3d, 2d/compositing packages as well as atleast one programming environment software. Keep in mind that Graphic Design and Illustration/Sequential art are programs seperate from the Computer Arts and so they are held at another large building with another set of labs, which is seperate from the gigantic building. You'll have to look at a map of the school to see what I really mean. The computer arts program is going through some changes now, but I think it's for the better. Just make sure you know the current program setup. The school is kind of spread throughout the city of Savannah, so if you're looking for a unified college campus in a college town, you have the wrong school. Parking is a downside. Many of the buildings are in areas that require meter parking. The meter-maids are like the ninja. If you leave your car sitting alone for even a second without paying the meter, you have a ticket. The dorms aren't the best. They aren't the worst, but really, have you ever heard of a school that had nothing but luxurious dorm rooms? The living conditions are definitely cheaper than the west coast, whether you're living on campus or off. I've forgotten the dorm price tag, but you can get a nice apartment for $425-550 bucks. The same quality in California would cost you $925-1000 in North Cali and $825-1000 in Southern Cali. Plus the parking, gas and traffic is a REAL pain there. California has the highest gas prices in the nation while Georgia has the lowest in the U.S. There's always tradeoffs of course.
    I don't know much about the foundational studies at SCAD, but I figure the quality of the foundational programs are going to be about the same between schools. Well, I could drone on about the school. If you have anything in particular you want to know let me know. Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by diagetus; April 11th, 2004 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Foundations department is pretty badass for SCAD. Professor Hung and Markwowski are very amazing artists, and great teachers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Foundations

I'm a SCAD ALUM and I think it has a great foundations department. I was a computer art major also and I think it's one of the best labs that I've ever seen.

I would recommend scad. If you want to know something about the teachers before you take the class you can always go to scad story to read up what other students thought about some of the teachers and/or classes.

Kyph
    Concept Artist and 3D Modeler
    Icarus Studios

"I became insane... with intervals of horrible sanity."
    --Edgar Allan Poe

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.