Is Paint.net as good as Photoshop?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is Paint.net as good as Photoshop?

I would like to know if anyone has ever gotten as good with Paint.net as some people have with Adobe Photoshop. Maybe some day I can get Photoshop, but for now I'm working with Paint.net because it is free, and I'd like to know if anyone knows of someone who swears by Paint.net the way some people swear by Photoshop.

Can you use CMYK with Paint.net like you do with Photoshop, as is required to color professional comic pages?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to guess that it's not quite as good.

A few simple reasons.

First reason: From my experience on something as simple as dragging a selection, in the version I have the transparent areas are ignored when you drag the selection across something else. The transparent pixels are considered data and it overwrites the areas your square (or other shaped) selection overlaps something on the same layer. Which means if you have a block of transparent pixels and move it on top of something, that square is now full of transparent pixels on that layer.

Second reason: No tablet support. There was early versions that supported it, but it's been removed, if this information is wrong, someone let me know.

Third reason: Brush support, from what I can tell its support for brushes is no where near as robust as Photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Linguar Amadala View Post
    I'm going to guess that it's not quite as good.

A few simple reasons.

First reason: From my experience on something as simple as dragging a selection, in the version I have the transparent areas are ignored when you drag the selection across something else. The transparent pixels are considered data and it overwrites the areas your square (or other shaped) selection overlaps something on the same layer. Which means if you have a block of transparent pixels and move it on top of something, that square is now full of transparent pixels on that layer.

Second reason: No tablet support. There was early versions that supported it, but it's been removed, if this information is wrong, someone let me know.

Third reason: Brush support, from what I can tell its support for brushes is no where near as robust as Photoshop.
    Thanks for letting me know. I also found out Paint.net doesn't support CMYK coloring, that's important for what I want to do, coloring my own comics.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.