Do you adjust your price for friends/family?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Do you adjust your price for friends/family?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For selling original art, yes, since I like to see it hanging in their home rather than sitting in my studio.

For commissions, generally no, because I don't have time for that kind of stuff and it often turns out to be boring, complicated, fussy, or otherwise not fun. I will sometimes do something cheap for them if it's super-easy, like a quick sketch of their dog or something, but anything that takes more than an hour or two I will turn down or ask for a normal price.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How Bizzare! my original post didn't go up, but the thread got posted anyway -didn't know that was possible.
    Anyway thanks MickeyMao for your response. The original post went something like this.
    The sister of my closest friend asked me to do a portrait of her mom's family (20" X 30", 6 people waist up in graphite). It felt really odd charging her like I would if she were a total stanger, so I wondered, just out of curiosity what the common way to go here is.
    So do YOU charge less for friends and family? if so how much less?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How Bizzare! my original post didn't go up, but the thread got posted anyway -didn't know that was possible.
    Anyway thanks MickeyMao for your response. The original post went something like this.
    The sister of my closest friend asked me to do a portrait of her mom's family (20" X 30", 6 people waist up in graphite). It felt really odd charging her like I would if she were a total stanger, so I wondered, just out of curiosity what the common way to go here is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post

Sometimes it's a slippery slope, other times it's not, but what you're doing sounds like quite a bit of work to be charging less for it. It's not like she HAS to have the picture. It's not a life or death situation here.

If you're going to give them a gift, that's one thing, but you have to be careful here lest you turn into the cheap family artist that everyone goes to for commissions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the family member...I will do anything for free for my mom and my boyfriend because my mom took care of me (duh) and my boyfriend has been nothing but supportive of me and my artistic ambitions. I will also do low cost stuff for one of my sisters because I like her and give my little sister free art lessons.

If you feel a closeness to the family and if you feel like you could do that for free for them, then go ahead. For me, anyone besides the people I listed above would have to pay especially for a family portrait that takes a lot of work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i do things for free to people i love of if the art was inspired by them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zwarrior, yes, but that would be something like a gift rather than a commission where they approach you and request a painting of their dog, wouldn't it?

Generally, I charge less for friends and family - because I'll only do things I actually look forward to. If one of them asked me to do something very time-consuming that I would not enjoy doing - and a graphite drawing of six family members would definitely fall into that category - I would dissuade them from it. This has worked pretty well in the past.

Many of them insist on paying me anyway, so it's actually not that much of a dilemma.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God no! Prices are sacrosanct! I want them trending up forever and should anyone negotiate better terms for themselves with me what price is settled on remains private.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on the family member and the situation... Sometimes it's a barter arrangement (i.e., "I fix your website, you fix my sink," sort of deal.) That often happens with jobs that could be considered small favors.

But if it's anything major, I usually treat it as a regular job: same prices, same invoicing, oh hey mom and dad don't forget to send the IRS a 1099...

Gifts are another matter entirely, of course. Those are things I choose to do for someone because I like the person and I want to make something for them. Whether they like it or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I extend credit to my family and close friends most of the time for certain things. I'll go ahead and do it, but when I need a single favor down the line, you better come through.
    Associates and loyal customers always get a discounted rate, this usually has them readily referring me to serious connections down the line. Please remember though: Keep customers on a customer level if you want to continue to get paid full value.
    Once you go drinking rounds with them or attending all their parties, etc., you will be expected to go easier on those rates no matter
    how much they claim you don't need to do that or what surprised expression they have on their face. It's the way of the world. The fine art of networking and socialization are two sides of the same coin, don't fumble it for yourself.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes and no. For my mom, absolutely. She doesn't have a lot of money, so, if she likes a painting, then she get's it for free. For any other family member, nope. The prices that I sell my work for are the prices that I pay.

However, I DO give discounts to certain groups of people. In the office that I work at, everybody gets a 10% discount and the ability to pay over time (without using a credit card). The reason for doing this is that it stimulates them to actually purchase the piece. Whenever I have a new painting done, it immediately is hung on one wall in my office (which you can see when walking by my office). If people comment on it, I mention about the discount and they always go "Really?". Makes them feel like they're getting a deal.

Dougie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel bad digging up this thread, but, it's not that old and quite interesting.
    It depends if you're professional or not but I wouldn't feel okay for my family telling them to pay. If it was something bigger i'd want little gift or something nice but not cash, if i really need money they will give me it anyway. For friends likewise, easy things just for favor or something harder for nice gift like bottle of vodka or something i will enjoy. But that depends on combination if it's needed and how close i am to friend.

Members who have read this thread: 1