Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: KT's Sketchbook. Joining in the Deathline Challenge.

Thanks
    Yea, what hala said
    Getting mileage with your drawing is the most important factor for learning to draw well
    Don't worry, you're on the right path
    My Sketchbook - Have a look and say hi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyV For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    @Dayle: Thanks! Yeah, that was one of the only long poses I got work on in the year. I wish I could do more although I do like the short poses.

@Asatira:Thanks. I'm glad to heart that I did better on my foreshortening. Still have trouble with, but who doesn't.

@Reutte: Oh, yeah the proportions on the loomis study are a bit off, even though I kept telling myself that the point of the study was to get the proportions down accurately. Also, thanks for pointing out the hip problem I, hadn't noticed, which shows that I really need to get through my anatomy book. I'll have more time in the summer so maybe.

@hala: I'm glad to hear that my posts aren't too confusing or poorly written. I will keep studying and I'll keep trying to get some practice in as much as I can.

@AnthonyV:Thanks AnthonyV, mileage is important and I will try my best.

Really guy's, I appreciate your comments and will try my best to improve, and to my SSG, I'll keep trying to give help as often as I can.
    Well, today I went to the Oakland zoo and getting there was pretty difficult because I have no car and it takes 3 and a half hours to get there using public transit. I really need to learn how to drive.
    I went to meet my teacher with his other class and listen to the lecture though I didn't get to hear because I was late.
    Here's some stuff from the trip.
    Attachment 1253308
    Attachment 1253309
    I like these more than the others. Pigs are fun because they stay pretty still while you draw them.
    Attachment 1253310
    Attachment 1253311
    Attachment 1253312
    Attachment 1253313

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love looking at others' zoo animal sketches. Nice job with them, able to capture the gist of each animal and their poses. I enjoy the bats and the pigs. Yes, animals that stay put are very helpful models, but you probably improve your sketching skill with more active ones. As you do more, progress from the general shape to a few lines (simple sweeps, really) to help get form and overlap.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    Yay animals
    You should draw very lightly with the big curvy sweeps (like you are doing) to capture the large masses and gesture. BUT THEN redraw the animal on top of your gesture with darker lines to fix the inaccuracies and really chisel the forms. For example the giraffe has several dark lines for the neck but we should only see two.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyV For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    Love love love this last batch. Great gestural lines, and I really enjoy the pigs, the bats, and the giraffes. The pigs are really successful, and they show you're maturing with your observational skills. (that sentence sounded really cocky-pro-artisty. sorry but i really do mean it. these sketches rock). also i know what you mean about driving. :/ that's my prob too. Thank you for your kind words in my SB too.
    "Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    Ahhh, your pigs are so adorable! And you can really tell how much mass they have from your gesture sketches which is great. Yeah, I would agree that animals that stay still are nice.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Reutte For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    @Asatira: Yeah, I really should try to draw the quicker moving animals. I think I get what you mean about the overlapping of the form, I don't even get the basic forms down well enough sometimes.

@AnthonyV: Thanks for pointing that out. I see that the giraffe is sort of indiscriminate around the neck area.

@hala: Thanks hala. I appreciate it, though I still need to work on my observational skills. Yeah not having a car sucks sometimes.

@Reutte: Thank you Yep, Steady animals are fun to draw.

Yes! I'm done with finals! Thus ends spring semester. Summer semester starts on monday but I decided to take life drawing so I will at least be able to draw more. Sorry I haven't been on here a while, especially to my SSGers, I procrastinated on all of my work and ended up doing most stuff last minute. But anyway, here's the small amount I was able to do in that time:
    Attachment 1263722

Attachment 1263726

Attachment 1263727

Attachment 1263728

Attachment 1263729

Attachment 1263732

Attachment 1263735

Thanks
    Hello, KT! I'm really enjoying your sketches so far, only one crit--darker and more confident lines! Keep up the good work!
    Sketchbook --I'd love some feedback!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Randomeister For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    Funny, I did/was just about to do those same pages from Peck. Go figure.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Yeah, those loomis pages of basic proportions are both looking good. Your still lifes are good. Have you ever tried a stick to get the angles of perspective more correct? It's still difficult but sometimes I've found that using a long stick which extends the angles helps make the perspective clearer to the eye.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    You have nice loomis studies here. Make sure to draw from photo or life to match up with loomis' lineart shorthand for anatomy. Loomis draws the most essential lines for getting a well constructed figure, but it's like training wheels for life drawing and figures from imagination (and the like).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyV For This Useful Post:

KT

Thanks
    @Randomeister: Yeah, my lines are pretty grey and boring. Line quality is really something I should work on but I never know how to do it.

@Asatira: Well, I had been postponing doing these for a while because of all the stuff I had to do, but it is nice to get back to the anatomy book again.

@Reutte: Hmm, that sounds interesting. Do you mean like a tree branch or a stick like thing like a ruler? I'm outside half the time waiting for the bus so there might be a branch outside I can use.

@AnthonyV: Thanks. I try to apply my anatomy lessons and Loomis studies to my life drawing but sometimes it's difficult. I should really try harder and focus more when in class and at sessions.

So, my first week of summer semester is over and I think I'll be able to update every weekend now if I don't have too much work. The life drawing class is...interesting. It's sort of a mix of good and bad, but I guess that's how a lot of community college life drawing classes are. I also have 3d design and its also, uh, interesting. Anyway, here's some stuff from this week.
    Loomis studies:
    Attachment 1268299
    Attachment 1268300
    Here's some hand skeletal drawings from the book we use in Life Drawing class, a book by Giovanni Civardi:
    Attachment 1268304
    Attachment 1268306
    Attachment 1268307
    And here's some stuff from life drawing class (Bah, her legs are too long and there are definitely other proportional issues in the first one)
    Attachment 1268308
    Attachment 1268309

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Doing drawings of things you see in life... especially fast ones... is very good. Good job on the animal drawings and all that.

Next time you do those type of drawings, while still drawing fast, try to get proportions nailed quickly, too. The faster you nail proportion, the quicker you will improve. It really is the grease that moves a draftsman's engine.

When you do studies from Loomis/Bridgman/etc, really, really try for super accuracy. If you have to grab a ruler and measure, go ahead. Measure the height of the head into the width of the head and body. Maybe it's 2/3 of a head height. Use that. Grab a strip of paper and mark the head height on it with a pencil. Now, guesstimate 2/3 and use that as your head width.

That's right; be precise when doing the measurement... but don't be exact when you draw, or you'll never get started That's the key. Observe/measure very very carefully, then loosen up and use the measurements when you draw.

Don't get bogged down in measuring; but measuring gives you a starting point. As soon as several of the main landmarks in your drawing are correct, just start drawing... always checking your widths versus your heights.

You'll be amazed how much difference you can make by just paying closer attention to the subject (whatever it is).

Good luck!
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

KT

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast