Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks

Self Critique from Imagination

To keep myself from only drawing from photos and still life and to help with retention I drew this face from imagination. To draw it I started with an outline and added loose muscles then used a blending stump.. which I don't do... ever.. not crazy about how THAT turned out but more so the form is pretty crappy.. I'm pretty frustrated at the moment and while it may not seem like I listen to feedback, I have taken everything provided, internalized it and when possible I have done studies along with it to try and boost the areas identified. I do feel like I'm getting edge control down (as far as my digital work goes), but putting together a face that doesn't feel skewed... well I'm still not there.. I made a few notes before I got sick of it and decided to post as a reminder to myself to push harder. Throw tomatoes or whatever so I can get motivated and push harder.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i loved the nun mostly... and like my mates said.. proportions + anatomy are what turn beginners into advance artists..but ur on the right track.
    i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/SalemShanouha

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rainwalker: Thanks for the encouragement.. the original pic of the nun is awesome..below where my painting stops she has her chest hanging out in this crazy corset type thing.. hehe..

Small update:
    I usually don't use construction techniques for creating heads.. at least anything short of negative space landmarking or if I'm doing studies.. I decided to do 2 more heads from imagination using the loomis/hogarth type of construction with a truncated sphere with a box in the lower frontal area. I think the end result is more cohesive but still not anything amazing..

Thanks
    You are really improving so you must be studying the right way, gogo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spiralpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sooo..
    I scanned these two pics.. the one with the parted hair was drawn super big in an attempt to help me focus on big shapes/forms and maybe view the subject at a different size to gain a further understanding and new level of control.. that was the plan.. I'm not thrilled with it and I can definitely say that compared to the other drawing.. you can tell which was done with construction lines and which was done without..

Thanks
    Thanks spiralpen

Also..forgot to mention.. the laughing girl has yummy peanut sauce from my favorite thai place in her hair..

Thanks
    It's been a while.. I did a bit of work from Burne Hoggarth.. I drew it at first just using french curves and letting myself be a slave to the directions the curves took me.. the idea was to intentionally keep something close with the intent to go back and find where my measurements and strokes could line back up.. the corrections are freehand... it was kinda wild...

I also did a planes study from memory.. it's not accurate but it was a lot of fun and 99% of people would look at it and go "yeah that's a face" so hey, I can't be too disappointed

Then I decided to cut loose a little and sketch up some fun ideas.. all of these studies were getting stuffy and with some of the feedback I had started thinking too much about what I was doing and lost sight of the fact that this is a fun and freeing thing. We may do it for pay or in the hopes of that..but that doesn't mean we have to treat it like work..
    anyway, there are problems.. enjoy them if you can if not I'm sorry for your loss

Thanks
    is anyone else having problems loading attachments? I can't see my terrible drawings

Thanks
    5 stars! Merry christmas! *****
    MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4