Sketchbook: expert lessons in ruining female form!!! - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    must be time for food.. MeatWagon Girl has appeared!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Mantis. Good stuff man! Are you studying any texts right now (Loomis? Bridgeman? etc.)? It seems that you are very focused on portraits, and I have a feeling Loomis could help a lot in that regard if you haven't already checked him out.

Also, are you photo ref'ing for most of your stuff? I keep hearing that drawing from real life models is the best way to learn.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Syle thanks for popping in man, yeah I'm focusing on the female head at the moment... my wife who would be my live model is deployed so photos is what I have.
    This is the first step for me in a series of focused studies to get me over my mental block of drawing women.

I do have Bridgman's works along with Jack Hamm, Chris Hart, and a few others that are all kinda helpful.. I have a book by Hoggarth on the way via Amazon along with a human repro skull and some perspective shapes so I can do more accurate spatial studies. My overall goal is to commit the form to memory so when I go to do works from imagination I don't have to study reference quite so hard

Thanks again for posting man.. if I get a few more replies I may be able to validate my parking!

EDIT: On the real life models.. I haven't been to a life drawing class this year.. I have been looking for some in San Diego..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 hour WIP first pass on values on major parts of the faces to establish planes plus a quick pass with palette knife
    PLUS ---- Going back in to refine the planes now..
    some Bridgman

Last edited by 4tonmantis; March 16th, 2011 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey 4tonmantis, it's about time I dropped by here
    I like your head studies, the Bridgeman studies that you posted most recently look really good. I'm in no position to critique really as I have pretty much no experience with heads, but I'd say your main problems are proportion and form. Some of the faces look kind of distorted or smushed sometimes. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

It looks like you're addressing this though, so no worries really. Keep on pumping out those head drawings.

"Dang girl, if you weren't a figment of my imagination I'd wanna have yo baby."
    - Adventure Time, Jake

"All the thoughts of a turtle are turtle. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic Hermit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic Hermit View Post
    Hey 4tonmantis, it's about time I dropped by here
    I like your head studies, the Bridgeman studies that you posted most recently look really good. I'm in no position to critique really as I have pretty much no experience with heads, but I'd say your main problems are proportion and form. Some of the faces look kind of distorted or smushed sometimes. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

It looks like you're addressing this though, so no worries really. Keep on pumping out those head drawings.
    Hey Hermit, thanks for stopping by!
    Yeah sometimes I sit too long without flipping the canvas or even doing something else.. then I save and upload without even looking.. I'm making a concious effort to slow down and focus on what I'm actually posting..

I put a bit more time into the shape and proportions as well as the values.. toned them down and brought everything into a bit more harmony.. still have a way to go on this especially with the eyes and jaw.. damn.. now that I see it again there's tons to do.. well.. I'll get back on it tomorrow..

EDIT: I have also come to realize.. developing speed without fully developing our drawings makes for really fast bad drawings...

Last edited by 4tonmantis; March 16th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Really diggin' the bridgeman and charcoal sphere studies, would love to see more of those! Bridgeman has helped me out immensely.

Do you practice doing still life drawings of random things you have laying around ever? It really helps out with learning how to light forms, especially something like a brown paper bag crumpled then uncrumpled again... that shit will keep you busy for hours!

If you haven't heard of him, check out Glenn Vilppu. His teaching method for the figure is golden, and transformed the way I think about form and planes.

Keep on posting! I look forward to watching your art progress.

"Well....if it's bothering you so much, just cover it up with art."

My Sketchbook

Check out some of my drawing and animation at

www.TrySilence.net

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SixPrism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPrism View Post
    Hi there,

Really diggin' the bridgeman and charcoal sphere studies, would love to see more of those! Bridgeman has helped me out immensely.

Do you practice doing still life drawings of random things you have laying around ever? It really helps out with learning how to light forms, especially something like a brown paper bag crumpled then uncrumpled again... that shit will keep you busy for hours!

If you haven't heard of him, check out Glenn Vilppu. His teaching method for the figure is golden, and transformed the way I think about form and planes.

Keep on posting! I look forward to watching your art progress.
    Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.. Vilppu is pretty high on my to-do list for sure, I have had his DVD set sitting around for a while but it's now something I can put directly into use.
    I decided to also have a go at a charcoal still life.. did one for St Patty's Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So my wife is deployed and sends me an e-mail saying.. hey.. if you design a logo and it wins we get a 64GB iPad..
    The contest ends in 2 days..
    Today was the deadline and through many dirty tricks and a lot of very sloppy work I was able to get this out... I was waaaay out of my element as both tiger stripes and feathers are extremely intimidating to me.. and yes I realize the text/font is terrible.. but military folks like shiny stuff..
    EDIT: In the final uploaded one the text has a different effect.. I am too busy getting drunk to re-upload.. just imagine the text being god awful and you're halfway there..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice face studies mantis, one thing i notice is the nose to face ratio is a little long, and the faces look very angular, all the same great studies keep it up!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus Food For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JesusFood - Thanks for the kind words If I could draw female heads perfectly then a series of studies would be a bit of a waste no?

Light day today.. did a still life of my newly acquired reproduction skull..woot! It's extremely lifelike to the point of creepiness!
    I'm going to have fun doing these and in the middle of drawing this.. my geometric shapes arrived!!!
    I'm guessing my Hoggarth book on heads will get here on Monday or so.. lots of great things to draw and do. for the record.. Michael's not having color wheels is pretty dumb..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there bud!~

Super creeeepy skull there lol, the last few graphite/charcoal studies have been pretty good here especially with the value. With digital keep the same things in mind that your already doing well with charcoal study and those portraits will start shining , keep up the studies and keep pushing those forms!~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kezhi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezhi View Post
    Hey there bud!~

Super creeeepy skull there lol, the last few graphite/charcoal studies have been pretty good here especially with the value. With digital keep the same things in mind that your already doing well with charcoal study and those portraits will start shining , keep up the studies and keep pushing those forms!~
    Kez! I'll hit your PM in a minute.. stoked to see you up in here (up in here) (yes.. I'm that white)

Got my newest digital done.. it's not great or perfect but it's further than it was.. and I'm pretty much tired of looking at it.
    Also another graphite sketch...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On your last drawing I have to say you have an interesting style on your line work.
    Be careful with your proportions although sometimes I careless with mines though. Other than that your work looks good.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PeteJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PeteJ: thanks, I've gotten tons of comments on proportions and I don't know where specifically any of them are pointed. I think there are some very obvious culprits that are honestly me just being sloppy but I can't ever tell if those are also pointed at my concentrated efforts on maintaining proportions (ie are you people saying ALL of my proportions are gawd awful..) Either way thanks for the comment and stopping in. I'll hit your thread up in a few and return the favor

Small update.. I fixed the hairline a bit.. totally wasn't paying attention after laying in the form .. the fix isn't that great but at least the hairline isn't a complete mess.. okay so it is but it's intentional this time.. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self Critique from Imagination

To keep myself from only drawing from photos and still life and to help with retention I drew this face from imagination. To draw it I started with an outline and added loose muscles then used a blending stump.. which I don't do... ever.. not crazy about how THAT turned out but more so the form is pretty crappy.. I'm pretty frustrated at the moment and while it may not seem like I listen to feedback, I have taken everything provided, internalized it and when possible I have done studies along with it to try and boost the areas identified. I do feel like I'm getting edge control down (as far as my digital work goes), but putting together a face that doesn't feel skewed... well I'm still not there.. I made a few notes before I got sick of it and decided to post as a reminder to myself to push harder. Throw tomatoes or whatever so I can get motivated and push harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i loved the nun mostly... and like my mates said.. proportions + anatomy are what turn beginners into advance artists..but ur on the right track.

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rainwalker: Thanks for the encouragement.. the original pic of the nun is awesome..below where my painting stops she has her chest hanging out in this crazy corset type thing.. hehe..

Small update:
    I usually don't use construction techniques for creating heads.. at least anything short of negative space landmarking or if I'm doing studies.. I decided to do 2 more heads from imagination using the loomis/hogarth type of construction with a truncated sphere with a box in the lower frontal area. I think the end result is more cohesive but still not anything amazing..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are really improving so you must be studying the right way, gogo

27. The Following User Says Thank You to spiralpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo..
    I scanned these two pics.. the one with the parted hair was drawn super big in an attempt to help me focus on big shapes/forms and maybe view the subject at a different size to gain a further understanding and new level of control.. that was the plan.. I'm not thrilled with it and I can definitely say that compared to the other drawing.. you can tell which was done with construction lines and which was done without..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks spiralpen

Also..forgot to mention.. the laughing girl has yummy peanut sauce from my favorite thai place in her hair..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while.. I did a bit of work from Burne Hoggarth.. I drew it at first just using french curves and letting myself be a slave to the directions the curves took me.. the idea was to intentionally keep something close with the intent to go back and find where my measurements and strokes could line back up.. the corrections are freehand... it was kinda wild...

I also did a planes study from memory.. it's not accurate but it was a lot of fun and 99% of people would look at it and go "yeah that's a face" so hey, I can't be too disappointed

Then I decided to cut loose a little and sketch up some fun ideas.. all of these studies were getting stuffy and with some of the feedback I had started thinking too much about what I was doing and lost sight of the fact that this is a fun and freeing thing. We may do it for pay or in the hopes of that..but that doesn't mean we have to treat it like work..
    anyway, there are problems.. enjoy them if you can if not I'm sorry for your loss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is anyone else having problems loading attachments? I can't see my terrible drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 stars! Merry christmas! *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.