my 1st drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: my 1st drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my 1st drawing

im using mypaint. im trying to learn how to draw and paint ive only doodled a bit but i havent done anything substantial. im a bit lost though. im just looking at a picture and trying to draw it. i figure the best thing i can do is learn by doing.

please give me some direction and some criticism.

enjoy.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't what you're going to want to hear, but please ditch digital media for now. I don't know if you have a tablet, but even if you do, this just isn't working for you yet.

Both your lines and colors are a complete mess, the drawing is lacking in structure and overall planning and you really don't seem to know what you're doing with the shading.

Pick up a pencil and some paper, and do sketches of the character to get a good feel for it. Construct it from the inside out; from a basic skeleton to the muscles to eventually clothing. Practise on lighting with a couple of real life examples. If you have a kneadable eraser, make it into a ball or any kind of "simple" shape and try to get the values down right, figure out how form responds to light. Then try again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the reply. Your right I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm going to draw individual things like hands, arms, torsos, etc later. I just thought I would dive right in for my 1st attempt. I am struggling a lot with the lighting and shading. I don't have a pad just a mouse. Which kinda sucks and is hard to use. Honestly though I think I will stick to digital. I think sooner or later paper and pencil will be history.

You do have to realize that I've never done anything like this so it will probably not come out so good. But it is a learning process. You did teach me a little about structure and planning. But I'm not sure how to learn it besides actually doing it a bunch of times and see which way works best. But then again I just started.

If anyone can point me in a good direction i would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,360 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's better to learn drawing with pencil on paper. Computers make sketching harder than it should be, and you don't need extra hurdles.

Go get "Successful Drawing" and "Fun with the Pencil" by Loomis. They show how to draw structurally, which is what you need to learn first of all.

The basic rule of drawing is: go from big to small, from general to detail, from approximate to precise. If you try to rush the process and go into detail too soon, you miss the chance to improve the form and end up with a poor drawing. So start very loose and general, and refine it gradually.

What you need is awareness of the form in space. Think of your drawing as a 3-D scene and "sculpt" with the pencil.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the book reference. you can get those plus more of loomis's books here

http://escapefromillustrationisland....ion-downloads/

I might keep working on this pic still but i should probably learn the basics 1st. Right now I'm kind of playing with the different brushes and learning how to use the program.

I know drawing with a computer is definitely harder that pencil and paper. I sometimes have reverse thinking though. If I learn to use the computer first then pencil and paper should come naturally. If anything I will learn how to do it and the rest just comes with practice.

Any more tips will be useful (even if i don't directly follow it I still take it into consideration).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are quite... stubborn, do you know that?

Well, my opinion...

That's good that you play and try out things.
    But I agree with everyone, paper and pencil is better at this point. I love challenges too but drawing is hard enough without trying to make your life much, much harder. You need to focus on important things, not struggling with the mouse. I never drew with mouse but my hands are clumsy and I had a small tablet in the beginning (not the absolute beginning, I used pencils before that). I spent much time on my drawing just because I couldn't control my strokes. With pencil, it went waaaay quicker. You won't draw great pictures in the beginning, you need to draw several sketches, studies, whatnot. It's much easier and quicker with pencil. It won't be colorful (well there are colored pencils), maybe it won't look so good when you upload them, they weill smear a bit, but it doesn't matter, they will be beginner sketches, they just need to be done...
    And I don't think pencil will be a piece of cake after you learn how to draw digitally (I don't see why would you start drawing with pencil afterwards though). Drawing with pencil and drawing digitally is basically different, at least I think so.

I never figured out what valuable is copying but it alone brought me nowhere, not even when I analyzed the pictures and understand parts of it.
    You need to build your figures and before that, you need learn the basics but it's so obvious it's needless to say.
    You can't learn very much if you just copy things without understanding it.

I'm sorry if I wasn't helpful, I'm too much of a beginner to do that.
    Anyway, good luck!
    (And if you must draw digitally, avoid soft brushes and fancy tools in the beginning. Fancy brushes shouldn't be your top priority either...
    And you totally don't need colors either, no matter how pretty colors can be. When used well.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i worked on it a bit more. still doesnt look right but i think it looks better.

yea i guess i am being a bit stubborn. i dont want to just give this up though. i can look back at this in a few years to compare. i would like to keep this because i know nothing about drawing or painting. but once im finished i will start to learn how to do it correctly. i can build a good structure and be able too see the whole picture before i put then pen to the pad.

thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by ShortBus; March 8th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeeere's the thing. People on CA.org genuinely want to help you out and there are many experts here who know from much experience what's best for beginners of all types. And they all say start with a pencil and paper, and THEN go to digital. I think you're going to have a very difficult time getting any help from people here and having them take you seriously if you don't start out traditionally first and then switch to digital once you've got enough experience under your belt. They know what they're talking about and if you choose to blow off their advice (when it's based on fact and experience, not just opinion) then they will probably stop offering it all together.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
    If I learn to use the computer first then pencil and paper should come naturally. If anything I will learn how to do it and the rest just comes with practice.
    "If I learn jumping from a skyscraper first, then parachuting will come naturally."

Seriously, WTF?

Pencil and paper is EASIER than computer. Think ten times easier.

Suppose you need 10 hours with computer to learn something you'd do in 1 hour with a pencil. Suppose you can apply 80% of what you learn with one method to the other. Suppose you need 1000 hours with a pencil to learn some drawing skill (which is close to the truth).

So you'll need 10,000 hours with a computer to get to the same level, which means that you have spent 8,000 hours to save 800 hours of pencil practice.

If you start with the pencil, you'll spend 800 hours to save 8,000 hours of computer practice.

Which sounds more economical to you?

OK, suppose the computer techniques are only 2 times as hard to master from scratch. Then you'll spend 2000 hours on computer versus 1000 with pencil. Meaning you've spent 1600 hours to save 800. You still lose.

The only way you won't waste time is in the case of computer sketching being exactly as easy as pencil sketching - and my experience shows that control of a stylus is much harder and less precise than control of a pencil. Most people seem to agree that sketching with a pencil is easier. Do your own reasoning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yea i guess i am being a bit stubborn. i dont want to just give this up though. i can look back at this in a few years to compare.
    Giving up on your drawings, admitting that you're not quite at the level yet to accomplish something like this and going back to the basics to reinforce your knowledge and skill is all part of drawing. It's rather silly, or even just quite dumb, to plough on with a drawing that's doing absolutely nothing for your improvement, just so you can get it done and have something to compare with in the future. Of course you will have improved in a couple of years, and you will be able to tell by your studies far more than your finished pictures.

Seriously, quite plainly said, dump this drawing. It's ugly, it's flawed in practically all areas one can go wrong in, and it's not helping you in any way. I've lost count of the amount of sketches and thumbnails I've discarded because they simply weren't working; it's something you will have to get used to.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't disagree with what's been said already, necessarily...

But... it's the guy's first drawing. It sounds quite healthy to explore a little. Yes, they should do some studies and learn anatomy, but one thing at a time. Kids play in the sandbox before they learn to spell, for example.

I really do question the value of drawing with a mouse, though. If you are serious, you will get a tablet some day, and learning to draw with a pencil will prepare you for that 1000x better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tracing your ref will also not help you. Save for some sloppy mousework, the two line up perfectly.

I gave copyright info to Midway games when I uploaded, hope that's okay.

Learning to draw forms is a good start, in my opinion. Through forms you can make sense of almost anything, so long as you know it's proper 3 Dimensional shape and how to draw it. Starting with a basic Cube, sphere, cylinder, etc. and knowing how to put them into perspective is study number 1, in my opinion.

But regardless, figuring out he anatomy of Baraka might be just a little beyond you. Don't take offense, ask yourself seriously... is it?

At first I was wondering why his hands were so huge, then I noticed it was so in the render. That's a bad reference, honestly. And why paint what's been developed into a full blown 3D post production piece? Surely you can't gain your own perspective on the character when doing this.

Last edited by Quigleyer; March 9th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your replies. i did sketch the outline but once tat was done i just looked at it as a reference. i tried to do it freehand but it wasnt that easy. what i really want to do is get the feeling of coloring lighting and shading with paints. i really cant afford a paint set right now so this is all i have. and soon i am going to actively sketch on pencil and paper.

what ive noticed from browsing the forum is that most people just draw crude sketches then paint it all in. ive also seen some really good pencil sketches that people use as a reference. i think that is to each is own. and im not going to learn everything in a day anyway. so if i waste 6 hours of my life doodleing in my paint thats ok with me.

for this i wanted a good starting point. even if it wasnt mine. this is all i traced but (im sure you can tell) i just looked at it for a reference.

thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what ive noticed from browsing the forum is that most people just draw crude sketches then paint it all in. ive also seen some really good pencil sketches that people use as a reference. i think that is to each is own.
    Yeah, that's because these people usually have enough experience to be able to paint from a loose sketch. Those who don't have experience, generally don't produce spectacular results.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. It's a flat and boring reference. If you were to paint a version of this piece, I'd like to see you use it as a character reference and possibly for the pose, and then see you improve on that original piece. Cause it can be improved. A lot.

2. The invented anatomy and strange lighting conditions (back lit with some strange rim lighting on the front?) on the figure are confusing for a complete beginner. Makes for a poor and difficult reference where you might copy what's going on but not really understand it, which makes you learn a lot less.

3. We could crit your piece, but without proper experience you might not even understand what we're talking about. Like a car mechanic explaining to a layman how to fix his car. "Carbu-whatchamacallit? And I stick it in the what-what you say? Why?"

Good luck!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Whyatt Thrash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Probably the worst reference you could get to learn the basics. Wonky facial anatomy, weird lighting, textures used... is it from a game? Rule; don't use game art to learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i picked this for my 1st because it looked so hard to do. i knew i was over my head before i even started. another reason was because it i a 3d render. ive done a bit of 3d animation in the past and i thought since i knew a little bit about it, it might help me out a little.

the light source are weird though. it has that back light, light emanating from the eyes, and it looks like 2 globals and 1 spot in the front. i pretty much stopped looking at the reference all together at this point for the rest of my shading. i will have to look at it for the face though.but i think im almost finished because i dont know how much more i can get out of it.

thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, good job getting started and jumping in. Experimenting and trying things in new ways is awesome and necessary. The sooner you get the basics down, the more butt you will be able to kick with your experimentation. Keep doing ambitious stuff. Never stop, but back up all those fatty sweets with some fiber and protein. And by fiber and protien, I mean learning to draw pencil (or pen, really) and paper and construct what you imagine. The basics are like a skill multiplier.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.