CHoW#236:: Snowmancer - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Naneel View Post
    well, seems like I finished early today and found a few minutes to update. Im just playing with lights and not sure how the monster pet is going to end.

Here goes, pleeeeease please critiques!!
    I'd say your pose is too "vertical" to my eyes. It may be the clothing obscuring the left leg behind the right (the character's right) but I feel like the image would have some fantastic symmetry if the legs were wide apart. (Of course that may also just be my opinion).

I don't think your creature need be more than the looming face, but right now I can't tell if it's anything more than energy, which would put it somewhere outside the parameters of the challenge. It's a bit early, but I vote for more contrast, perhaps more variety in the color palette, and for avoiding the tangential proximity to the edge of your "canvas" (i.e., the billowing cape almost creates a line bisecting the piece drawing the eye away from the face of your 'snowmancer'). Other than that, I love the energy and movement of the piece and the attitude of your character! Best o' luck! (Maybe I'll finish mine, too, eh?)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some changes after looking at how ice sculptures are lit. They're real dark with super highlights. So I darkened and I thought my demon thing was pretty generic. So i substituted a generic dragon instead. Just one more thing to fix tomorrow--my friend says it looks like hes flipping the bird O:

"F youuuu, I got a dragon!!" ::bird::

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MatejaPetkovic hay it's a great image, I love the idea and I thought the coming from the creation was quite dramatic. I just wanted to say the position before made sense to me, because the way you have drawn the character it appears that the weight is more on his right leg, the shoulder angle was right for this kind of position, it was only the hips that needed to be angled very slightly down towards the right leg.

So my advice to everyone is (and this is what I sometimes do) If your ever unsure on exactly how the character skeleton should be drawn correctly for the pose you want, just find a full length mirror, something big and reflective, or take a picture of yourself doing the pose, and then you have the perfect reference because you will also know where the centre of gravity is.
    (It's just a suggestion)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loulabella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artfix I love that dragonbird, there is a real frost-fealing to it!

Partisan Digg everything about it, but I want to see some more details on the snowmancer, I figure thats what youre doing now.

Naneel You have real nice energy in your work, keep going and start working on the creature!

And mine, Im getting tired of this, I really have no idea about the color scheme for this, it just got clusterf**ked a the moment. Painting is one of my weakest sides.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Urötskidoji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MASSIVE WEEK, and some fine, fine work here.

Some comments from the entries I remember (so many entries)

JanJager - You managed to craft an elegant even with an icy behemoth in the backround. I'd like to see some more work on the woman below, but loving the textures and icey look of the creature. On fire with every activity you enter lately (with the exception of this once since it's icey )

Mateja - That is lovely. Any of those versions hit the spot for me. A sadistic character creation.

dave n ale - Cuteness to the third degree.

Artfix - Really nice, I can feel the wind chill emanating from this one. As for crit, his arms looks a little off, like they can be more defined, maybe streaked with more of the same mystical tattoos depicted on his chest area.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naneel: It would be real cool if you could keep something of those energetic lines in the final.

Partisan: Hell of a lot of atmosphere there, looks awesome. I got to say I actually like the white light. It makes a great focal point to the image, and looks like harsh Arctic light outside the cave!

Urötskidoji: Maybe if you changed the green on your snowmancer to metallic or dark blue?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My mother had a heart attack, so I'm not going to be able to finish mine this week.

I'd like to leave some crits for people though.

Aly Fell - Your sketches always look beautiful. I love your ladies. The best part of this is the monster in the background, I love how he looks. My only (very small) crit, is that she looks a bit like the Ice Queen? I think it was that you did earlier. But, as it is an early sketch, I know sometimes your faces tend to change when you really get into the finish, so that might be just me remembering. =)

Urotskidoji - Painting is my downfall as well, and I'm still very much in practise. However, I do think that it looks like your using some black in it, and that might be what's making it a bit muddy. When using darks, try not to go black. Also, try using a larger, harder brush to start out with and finish with the smaller softer brushes.

Artfix - very cool looking. I do think the arms, especially [I]his[I] left arm looks a little off. I'm not sure that maybe it's the light playing trick, or if it's really not connected to his torso as it should be. Since your going to play with that hand a bit, maybe take a look at the arm while you're doing it.

fdisk - love the design of her outfit.

GEB - this one looks so much better. The colors are great and so is his new pose. And I actually like him without the helmet better too. Good job!

blackrobin - I love the comraderie between the two, and the design of his outfit is pretty cool also.

eralfralos - ohhh, I like it, can't wait to see you finish it. Watch out for his right hand, the one that's not holding anything, the fingers look just a bit short.

(lark - beautiful image, I like the illustration.

Janjager - I love how you manage to capture the forming aspect of it, he looks like he isn't quite formed, but he's getting there. It's lovely. Only crit, the character doesn't seem to be the focus, plus she's probably freezing. Although, if she was in a trance to do that, she probably doesn't mind.

kingkostas - looking good so far, he looks very creepy. Can't wait to see him completely finished.

OfficialLamp - looking good, really want to see the finished piece.

Partisan - really coming along great.

Revidescent - Love how he's directly controlling the creatures actions.

Fox - loving the lines, and the way you color with it. I really like this piece.

I would do more, but my comps acting silly and not loading the pictures.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MJ_Alcazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last check before posting final. I was unsatisfied with last night pose because it lost body mouvment and drama that goes with it, and i was drunk to see clear. After loulabella's comment i rechecked everything , and decided to get back to original pose. But now i need to make it work.
    Yellow is how i imagine first pose, green is basic figure contra post

M

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    MJ_Alcazar all the best to your mother.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After seeing so many awesome entries I feel kind of bad with mine... xD Oh well, I guess it'll make me strive more to become better!

One last wip before the final! Only the figure needs to be coloured. And maybe the aurora of the background... And maybe redo the falling snow... DAMN why am I so slow? I can't miss the deadline again! D:
    Name:  Imagen 1.png
Views: 484
Size:  588.0 KB
    As I said, kickass work, everyone. I'll crit once I find a way to colour properly that little summoner twat... *goes back to PS*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank alot to you that took the time to comment on my image. Here is another wip.
    Name:  wip5.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  248.7 KB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to alexson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my very first post. The work in this thread so far is really awesome and inspiring.

Mateja, I love how you made the image so cold without really using snow or ice. Gave me chills.

Here's my attempt as yet. I'm coming into this late and have quite a bit of work to do. Comments/critiques obviously very appreciated.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to foxgrin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx Dread Reaper and MJ Alcazar, i'll get back to the bear guy later, now im stuck with this one

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackrobin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great work in this round.
    Personaly I think snow mancing is a sweaty business.

alexson
    Coming good. why not add more reflections in the ice.
    SaraCuervo
    Beatiful
    Artfix
    I really like it.
    blackrobin
    coming along great.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Onto coloring after lunch!

Name:  Snowmancer.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  222.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres what I have so far, hopefully Ill finish this one. still trying to come up with a creature.

for some reason the stupid image is glitching a little on the last few frames bu you get the Idea, Ill post more wips later because im oo lazy o mess with it right now.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to kissorkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice on the wolf face, found a good reference and reworked the mouth and teeth a little, looks more realistic. I also reduced the sparkles on the dragon and tweaked the overall values to focus the piece as much as I could. This is the final. I'll add the border and post it in the finished one.

This was fun (and frustrating)! Can't wait for next week!

So sorry to hear about your mom MJ Alcazar. The thoughts of us all are with her I'm sure.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is it, did another one based on this with background. Total fail! just posting this to show my idea with the small golems that can transform in whatever . Must go to bed now, work tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Always interested in commissioned work.

Email me: carl.folmer@gmail.com

Portfolio - Blogg - Facebook - Twitter - Deviant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I stuck with the white backlight but curbed it a little, I will do a variant of this pic in which the backlight will be gone and the light-source will be above them as Mateja suggested but its a lot of work so that I couldnt make it till the deadline , it would look cheap and rushed ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what awesome entries! as usual
    hope I have enough time to finish, I learnt a lot doing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

partisan - I'm a fan of the shadowy face, myself, since it looks so much more intimidating, but I getcha with the artistic growth thing. I really like the ice on the nose of the wyvern, it's a great balance between ice's see-throughness and the reflectiveness of its surface. Great stuff, can't wait to see (either light sources'!) final versions.

blackrobin - Not a bad guy to be stuck with. ;D I like the direction you're going with this. It's a very interesting color scheme, and I can't seem to tear my eyes away!

fdisk - I'd rework her right arm a bit.... something seems off about it. But otherwise a lovely design. Good luck getting it done in time!

MatejaPetkovic - The first pose really is better, nice catch there. I think you've hit all my creepy buttons with your picture. It looks like he steals souls and creates ice minions for himself with them. Great!

Name:  073snowsummoner.png
Views: 681
Size:  492.1 KB
    First time posting, and I won't be able to finish. X( I learned a lot, though, just reading the comments for other people's work - although I haven't employed some of them in this wip because I haven't had time to go back since reading. You guys are great, everything looks AMAZING.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kheleksul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last WIP: Added colour, but I'm not happy with it yet. I just can't figure out a good way of adding colour using the "grey values first" method. Oh well, I'm out of time for this week so I'll have to submit it as is.

Next CHoW I'll work with color from step one.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    artfix-i like very much how u did the creature mate.It looks like the character could get some more attention. I like the energy of the piece
    Urötskidoji- Interesting char mate.More refining would make it read better. Also try not using that much black for the shadows because it overally looks muddy.
    MJ Alcazar- I am sorry for what happened to your mother, hope see is better. Thank u very much
    M- Mate i love this piece in everystage. Love both the creation and the snowmancer and the ground.
    SaraCuervo- It looks interesting but needs more work mate. U could earn a lot of time with a better planning in the beginning. I would first put the basic shadows and then start coloring and rendering them. Keep pushing it. The idea and character is nice, just keep up improving the technical part.
    alexson- Interesting char and creature mate. I would add some textures to increase the level of detail.I like it very much in overal
    Foxgrin- Lovely sketch mate
    blackrobin- lovely style mate, keep refining
    fdisk-Interesting mate, keep pushing it
    kissorkill- Nice texture work and loose strokes but could have more refining. I wouldnt add so much contrast before i have added some more details, it doesnt read a lot, keep up
    Dread Reaper- Interesting idea mate. I think you have overaly very saturated colors, i would use more saturation in the area i would like to lead the eye of the viewer.
    Bleurgh-Interesting character but it may look more like a beast rather than a character.probably the lack of more equipment gives this feeling, but its interesting.
    Partisan- Nice piece mate, i enjoyed it from the beginning. The Down horizontal bright line in the creature, i think it flattens it because it reads as a 2d shape rather than 3d. Nice work, keep up!!!
    Oldboy115- Looks interesting but definitely needs more refining.This textured base can become a good one to further work upon it.
    kheleksul- It looks nice and energetic so far mate. Nice style
    OfficialLamp- Quite nice rendering. This character if supported with some text, could be very interesting and strong, now it kinda feels less strong because of the simple elements. Thats not bad, i just cant read him as a strong and significant char, but mostly as a great NPC

Sorry for not commenting for everyone, the time is limiting me.
    Here i cant choose which one feels better. If i could have some more opinions in my mind it would be easier to compare and see.
    I have to add some things that i wanted to add to the face

great work everyone!!!

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little sumthin I whipped up

42. The Following User Says Thank You to SinnerMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dudes, this one of the biggest chows I ever seen, so many concepts all of then amazing ones

I had a lot of creative and technical problems with my concept, in the End I felt it needed so many corrections that I'm gonna re-draw it in a future day as an illustration.
    gonna share with you guys how it is if you could give me some advices, critics it will be very wellcome (the first is the Bg and main character idea, had already started the rendering =/, the second is an sketch of his SnowGollen).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kostas I would go for B, has the most depth, maybe try B with the head and the lower legs from C ( but leave the red glow in the head area just take the brighter ochre from the mask) that way you get bright head and legs with a contrasting dark body

Last edited by Partisan; March 12th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkostas View Post
    Here i cant choose which one feels better. If i could have some more opinions in my mind it would be easier to compare and see.
    I have to add some things that i wanted to add to the face

great work everyone!!!
    In my opinion B looks the most striking as an image. The higher contrast on the main character as well as the use of warmer blues brings him forward to the attention of the viewer. It is more subtle than the use of complimentary colors shown in A, and much more vivid than the lighter blue tone shown in C.
    And great job! Can't wait to see it when the face has been added!

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kostas: yeah i think B as well. just stands out most. cant really put my finger on it though. sorry for being vague.

here is my final.

Name:  snowmancer final.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  62.3 KB

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    New version:

Name:  snowmancer_rough2.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  98.7 KB

Dug out the old crow quill for this one. Question: do the browns look too blue? I've got two monitors so of course I have no idea which is right.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

51. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little late, so I hope I can finish on time...

Name:  step1.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  111.3 KB

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

53. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluefooted For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2