Thanks

Talking How would this be improved?

Rather than re-post images, I figure i'd just link you guys to two other threads with them already posted, asking for the same thing-Help!
    Thanks! Post here, or there, doesn't matter just let me know how it could be better please.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212704
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212710

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ouch this community only likes normal art? People and places done billion of times before, all same.

Thanks
    Ouch this community only likes normal art, i gotta work on my level of technique for the traditional stuff...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,502 Times in 2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CircularSpecies View Post
    Ouch this community only likes normal art? People and places done billion of times before, all same.
    Really? Thats the kind of comment you want to make when you are pumping out bad Calder/ Richard M Powers ripoffs

Thanks
    I"m just frustrated that no one seems to care about anything besides people and monsters here. But it's my fault too, I have little finished work and the abstract paints hardly took much time or skill. Also this site is called ConceptArt so I think I need to go somewhere else since I mainly do designs, paintings, and textures. I just got bored of the human form seeing as it's been done literary millions of times over.

Thanks
    I don't really think you understand what dpaint is accusing you of.
    -><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks

Thumbs up

I assume he's a troll but I searched those two artists and know what you mean. I think I could surpass that. All I need is more technical skill. I disagree that i'm ripping them, yes we work with shapes but my style comes from a totally different angle. I think I could say i'm like a fusion of Hokusai with Calder... Although I have failed to find an artist who's work is similar to mine, I take that as a good thing. Thank you for recommending those artists. I think 3D art would be an interesting angle for me!

Thanks
    You're asking for this forum to help improve you(conforming to a standard), but then you say you don't get why only "normal art" (art conformed to a standard) is the only accepted work here?? So you're saying you want to conform to a standard but you don't?? Dude come on, look at what board you're in, Fine Arts (classical-esque art, very realistic, emphasizes form and exaggeration of natural beauty)! Look at what forum you're in man, look at the big artists on this site! Its like being a hip-hop artist, going to a metal forum, and then complaining when no one likes your music.

Look I just personally don't think your art is very pleasing, most of the forum will probably agree. It feels very amateur, and confusing really. What am I looking it? Then you can just throw the argument "well you just don't understand it!", but c'mon. Look at where you're drawing these, on homework pages, and on the back of other sheets?? It doesn't even look like you're really taking this seriously; they look like doodles you did in class. I would probably be able to take them more seriously if you could. Do these on an actual canvas or some sketchbook paper. Plan out your composition, even color your work.

Oh, and one more thing: This is abstract work, how exactly are we going to improve this? The subject matter itself is not relative to anything found in real life; its just really, really basic shapes. If you were drawing a dog, a tree, a car, a person, we could relate it to actual objects, and help with general proportion/how light would hit it/the over-all shape of it/etc. Seems like you're just here for getting views, and praise... rather than enjoying the actual process, and working on improving. "How do I get thousands of views like the rest of these guys???"
    Last edited by Bengoshia; March 11th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bengoshia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CircularSpecies View Post
    I assume he's a troll...
    Silence is golden...
    -><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jouzinka For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bengoshia View Post
    You're asking for this forum to help improve you(conforming to a standard), but then you say you don't get why only "normal art" (art conformed to a standard) is the only accepted work here?? So you're saying you want to conform to a standard but you don't?? Dude come on, look at what board you're in, Fine Arts (classical-esque art, very realistic, emphasizes form and exaggeration of natural beauty)! Look at what forum you're in man, look at the big artists on this site! Its like being a hip-hop artist, going to a metal forum, and then complaining when no one likes your music.

Look I just personally don't think your art is very pleasing, most of the forum will probably agree. It feels very amateur, and confusing really. What am I looking it? Then you can just throw the argument "well you just don't understand it!", but c'mon. Look at where you're drawing these, on homework pages, and on the back of other sheets?? It doesn't even look like you're really taking this seriously; they look like doodles you did in class. I would probably be able to take them more seriously if you could. Do these on an actual canvas or some sketchbook paper. Plan out your composition, even color your work.

Oh, and one more thing: This is abstract work, how exactly are we going to improve this? The subject matter itself is not relative to anything found in real life; its just really, really basic shapes. If you were drawing a dog, a tree, a car, a person, we could relate it to actual objects, and help with general proportion/how light would hit it/the over-all shape of it/etc. Seems like you're just here for getting views, and praise... rather than enjoying the actual process, and working on improving. "How do I get thousands of views like the rest of these guys???"
    I get what you're saying. I'll wait on the abstract theories and celestial textures and start uploading works with more symbols and comprehensible subject matter. Actually yes most of these are doodles from class however I do take them seriously. The thing is I can't figure out how they would be colored, or truly made into compositions. I want to learn the techniques the professionals use for their Fine Art, then transfer that to my work and start applying more meaning, symbols and maybe even combining it with human form. Your post was very helpful, in fact the only "Real" reply i've gotten here so far. Thanks, and good analogy with the hip-hop/metal forum thing, maybe I should look for a site like this but for more experimental artwork. The abstract paintings are meant to be viewed as abstract landscapes. I use perspective, and scale in those so that's how I meant to ask for help in those.

Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jouzinka View Post
    Silence is golden...
    Very poetic but this doesnt really help me

Thanks
    I'm not a huge fan of severe abstraction, and I admit that from the start, but, at least from what I understand about the point to abstraction in fine art to be, is that the composition is the main part of the artwork. Meaning, without using the figure itself as the primary part of the artwork, it uses color, tone, texture and movement to direct the viewers eye to where the artist wants and then directs it to the next "part" of the painting, while still maintaning a wholistic composition. That being said, posting quick "studies" done on school work fundamentally opposes the artistic merit of modern and abstract artworks. Doodles done without planning the thought of directing the users eye towards an emotional culmination, because such artwork really does tend to be about mood and movement, don't really count as an abstract art piece as I understand abstraction and modernism.
    While I may not be a fan of Jackson Pollock, I can still grasp the mood he is aiming for and the direction of the viewer's eye, using planned composition in form, albiet abstract forms and "blobs", so that it doesn't end up sitting on a page lifeless and muddled.
    To be honest, I think if you really do want to look into doing this type of work, you should really study color theory and painting composition, niether of which are horribly easy concepts to get hold of, and can get boring. A lot of modern abstract painters tend to plot out their painting using a grid system, as they can't rely on the psychology of the viewer following eye movement, hand movement and facial direction, and they have to depend on different human reactions to color and simplified forms to keep a persons eyes on the track that the artist wants.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bazu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I’d recommend studying realism even if you’re more interested in abstract art. Once you have a firm grasp on these essential skills (it will take years of study) your creativity will be less limited overall. For an example you can look at Pablo Picasso's early studies mostly realism while he used more creative expression in this later work once he had no real technical limitations. Also I would not be so quick to knock studying the human form from this you can learn how to represent form, color, composition, value as well as any other essential area for 2d expression.
    If you haven’t see Android Jones work yet check him out hes one of the big names of this place and does some very creative and new styles that utilize modern painting tools such as photoshop and 3d software.
    Check out my Sketch Book here
    Crits always welcome!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxide-0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bored with the human form? Are you also bored with experiencing other people in life? Bored with living on a planet full of people? You need to get outside and live life, or take the next shuttle to space.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    so novelty makes art?

You can't contrive a work of art. Most of the people on CA are dedicated to the craft of painting/sculpture, and of design(drawing composition). a successful picture is a pleasing arrangement of shape/color on a 2d surface. The figurative element adds a second layer of complexity by conflating abstract shapes which a figurative scene/narrative. In a good picture, the two elements will bolster and complement each other, relating the figurative motifs either for clarity of narrative or aesthetic. those of us who enjoy drawing people enjoy these conceptual problems as well as appreciate the human figure, especially nude, because frankly, it is miraculous and beautiful that a complex mechanical system, shared among us, capable of so much expression, can house so many unique and individual spirits. I have nothing at all against abstract work, but it is no less normal than any other form of expression.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ator For This Useful Post: