Lurkers Unite!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lurkers Unite!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lurkers Unite!

I happened to check my user CP today and noticed that I've been a member of this forum for exactly one year now. In that time, I have (including this one) 44 posts. Even though I visit these pages nearly every day, often several times in the course of a day, I still feel like I've contributed very little to the forum.

I know there must be dozens -- hundreds maybe -- of others who visit Conceptart.org all the time, but hesitate to post for whatever reason. So here's a place for procrastinators to start.

Introduce yourself in this thread. Get your feet wet in the company of other lurkers, and then venture out to post some art and crits. Do it! Or else I'll have to watch this thread sink to the bottom of the board...only to disappear into the bottomless pit of the archives.

"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." --Franklin Jones
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :dork:

standing up hesitantly, slight cough.
    "uh, Hi I am WoadWorrior, I have been a lurker for a while, I started lurking about a month or two ago.
    But never signed up, untill yesterday (i was brave that day). Uhhh, I will post more in the future and as for presenting my work there will be a time and a place when i reach that stage.
    uh thanks,
    sits down again looking nervously around the room.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WoadWarrior:

Hey - Nice to see you! Welcome to conceptart. Thanks for being the first to take the challenge. Hope you're not the last! That's a clever username, by the way. What made you choose that?

Any one else??

"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." --Franklin Jones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watup peoples... good idea for this thread leviathan.

I guess I consider myself a lurker cuz I pretty much have CA open on my computer at work the whole time i'm there (so I can dream about being a great artist and creating artwork for a living) but I barely post.

I've posted a few times here and there and on about 10 DSGs over the course of the last few months, but nothing big.

I am too untalented and unlearned to be spitting around my opinion (and I dont like just writing "wow !! thats awesome! " all the time) so mostly I absorb all that I can from all the threads I find. My goal is to have read every thread in this forum because there seems to be great advice and tips in everything here... (yes I have no life ). I guess I mostly come here to learn and to be motivated... it'd be great to talk to some of the amazing people here, though...

So, for those I havent talked to: Hi.

I'm a 23 year old Computer Programmer who is about to start law school but has had a sudden resurrection of his once-lost artistic dreams. I live in Virginia near Washington DC. If you live close by (or just feel like it) you should hit me up. My MSN messenger name is maximus_primeval(AT)hotmail.com and AIM nick is "Paki Prime". For those on DeviantArt my user name is "Maximus_Prime" (Check out my crappy DevArt gallery )

Anyways, Peace out pimps.

-Umar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dahsramu:

That's exactly the kind of post I was thinking of when I started this thread. Nice to meet you. We sound a lot alike -- I'm 24 and work as a full-time Television Editor and Graphic Designer.

I still hold out hope that one day I'll find the time to write and illustrate some books or comics, but for now I live vicariously through CA.

Thanks for the post, man. The floor is open. Next?

EDIT:: Dahsramu, I checked out your Devart gallery -- Nice. You've got some good stuff in there. I particularly like the Mitsuko.

Last edited by leviathan; April 6th, 2004 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jrr!

That wouldn't be a suggestion that we go somewhere else would it?

Because that would be a real jerk-ass thing to say.

:p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea...i dont post often for the same reason. i'm not a silly little fan boy going "wow!! thats amazing!! your the best artist in the world!! can i suck your cock??!!"

i'd rather just admire the work and learn as much from it as i possibly can. if i'm particularly impressed (like with Lungbug, Puddenhead, or Marko etc), i'll say something, but most of the time i dont.
    but i still come here 5 to 6 times a day, check out the new posts and read comments. so yeah. i guess i'm a lurker too.
    and if jrr dont like it, he can lick a toad. hehe. (i think i commented on one of his pieces once actually...i cant remember)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LA (lurkers anonymous)

hi my name is regina, and i have a lurking problem

guess you would call me a lurker. I've been to the site about 30 times, three times today, and i've only posted about four times?.
    I do have to admit that my passion isn't drawing but another form of art~stained glass. Drawing comes in at a close second. I stumbled across conceptart.org while looking at a web comic's links. I was very impressed by the artwork i found and have been back to look at more, hopefully to get some tips to improve my own work. cause in my opinion its shit compared to some seen here, but then again i'm only 19 and have a while to improve.

~regina

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    leviathan - thanks for the nice words and for checkin out my work! i've run into a lot of people that are gettin a resurgence of the artistic spirit recently, its good to hear i'm not the only one

complete2 - yo dude! I just ran into lungbug's sketchbook the other day and i'm completely blown away with his work too...
    regina1323 - watup girl! stained glass sounds cool...

I think maybe people should try to post one piece of artwork they've created if they introduce themselves here... what do you guys think? I think it would be cool - they wont be critiqued or anything, it would be just another way to step out of the "lurker" shell... if you're comfortable doing it, anyways...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by leviathan
    WoadWarrior:
    That's a clever username, by the way. What made you choose that?

leviathan thank you.
    ah, the name WoadWarrior well I was given it,
    I was working on the new King Arthur film as an action extra, they painted me black & blue gave me a realy long mohaok (i think thats how to spell it) put me in leathers and gave me a big sword. We fought for a month or so.(day to day film stuff)

Woad is the name of the plant i think the Pictish people dyed thire skin with it was an anticeptic against cuts, it oxydizes in to blue over time + it would stay on fo weeks. (but the stuff they had was food dye which was hard to get off, during the weekends i was slightly blue)

Good idea for a topic by the way the whole Lurker thing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dahsramu:

leviathan:

complete2:

yea...i dont post often for the same reason.
    i'm not a silly little fan boy going "wow!!
    thats amazing!! your the best artist in the world!!

Thats Right! I also dont wish to be a silly little fan boy, over all else i want to go through post that have intresting information and ideas to learn form i dont want to be wading through a load of posts just for one decent reply. Posting is not about how many times you post to show how intrested you are in knocking up numbers, but suppling a decent and meaningful contribution.!
    thats the border between lurking and the others... :dork:

regina1323: Thanks for sharing that with us, welcome to the group free Tea and coffee is over there. With such support we have here today, the Lurkers are pointing out there is a problem with lurking in ConceptArt, it is good to get it out of your system, and to see it as not a problem but transition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im a semi-lurker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone:

It's great to see this thread taking off. And it's nice to meet you all.

WoadWarrior: That is a way cooler reason behind your name than I expected. I saw a trailer for the King Arthur film this weekend -- looks sweet. I imagine working on a movie like that must be an awesome experience.

Dahsramu: Good idea about posting art in here. It might be a good way to get used to the process of reviewing others' work and finding the guts to post your own. I still think giving crits is a good idea (it is an art forum), but this could be a place to get others' opinions without them being over-critical.

We might need to develop a thread in the Sketches & Ideas forum if that is the case, though. Any one else have thoughts on that?

regina1323: Nice to meet you. Don't worry about having a different medium than most here -- I'd like to see some pics of your stained glass work. There are tons of different threads here for other styles of art: sculpture, 3D, photography, etc. I think you will find plenty of people interested in your work.

complete2: I agree 100%. And thanks for the jrr support.

sic8sic: Welcome to the club. Good to meet you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there might be some UBER-lurkers lurking around this thread too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh oh, I don't want to be an UBER-Lurker !! It's hard enough to be a lurker.
    Like many others I don't want to write "cool" and "awesome" all the time.
    The problem with giving crits is that I the most stuff around here is better than I could do it, so what can I say ?? And if I find a picture where I could give some crits, all that comes to my mind has already been said by someone else. So crits from me are really rare.

The other problem is posting my own work. I have a thread in the sketchbook section, but I don't post there often. It's just because I don't think all the stuff I do belongs there. It's more like a "Hey, I'm still here and my stuff looks like this now" every few months.

A fool with a tool is still a fool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nold:

It's interesting to see that so many others have the same impression I do about posting crits. Although I feel I can point out things that are remarkable to me, and I can describe what I like, I'm certainly not skilled enough to give someone suggestions on how to improve the mechanics of their work.

So, anyone want to be the first to volunteer some art in here? Get that first post off your chest?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im not at full blown lurker...i do post my art here, not often though...and leave crits once in a while....wehn i see that its needed.....if you want to check my shit out....go to my site...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wouldn't mind posting some pics of my stained glass and get some crits on it, if i only knew how the hell to post. i've looked for help and found some, however, i'm not a into all the computer lingo, and got very confused. could someone put it into simpler terms for me.

~regina

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gotta have ur pix up on the web....when you do you just put [img]...."your link here" .... [/img]....youre done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, well I kind of posted some of my art (by posting a link to my DeviantArt gallery) but here's some stuff to help get this thread warmed up (some of which is not on my DevArt gallry)...

Just a quick pencil sketch that I colored to learn Photoshop ... I'm having trouble with rendering metal... (the background is a picture - I did not draw/paint it)...

Another quick color study from a frame of Underworld - NOT a color-over (paused the DVD on my tv and used that for reference). I did this to learn how to use Painter, but I still suck at it, though... all those damn brushes confuse the hell out of me (anybody know of any good tutorials?)

And, an ink drawing I colored using prismacolor pencils to learn how to use them... I know, my anatomy is horrid in this, and some of the shading is off (cant fix it now - the limitations of traditional media, I guess)...

okay, well - anyone else want to take a stab at posting images? Dont make me be the only one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lurker here. have a good one, people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is an old sketch of mine. its even on my website...
    cant post any of my new work yet. gotta get a new scanner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres one of mine..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot dude, i like yours too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am a ninja lurker, i hide in the shadows and strike everynow and then...although lately its been more than ussual.

so i guess im making the transformation into normal almost lurker..

maybe we can all almost lurk together?

No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dahsramu + complete2 + sic8sic:

Hey- good work all. For lurkers who are supposedly nervous about posting your work, it looks to me like you all should've been posting long ago.

I really like your color study dahsramu. And the Wolverine is cool, even with a few anatomy issues. Good stuff.

complete 2, man that is a great concept. Very creepy yet nicely realized. You ought to finess it out into a final render.

And that Jackal Anubis is very tight, sic8sic. The anatomy is good, even though it's obviously exaggerated, and I really like your rendering work.

Keep it up folks! Glad to have everyone here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been hesitant about posting because I'm just a cartoonist. There's all this great incredibly detailed work on this site the people ooh and ahh over where as most of mine is deemed...cute. For example:

and

Thieves of Thalegor Kicking Asgard and taking names...

Eternal Juxtaposition Why does Evil prevail? Because Good...is...stupid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks dude, this was done for the DSG thread here, the theme was "An Egyptian God"...so I wanted to make this dude look godly and almost like hes drwan on papyrus or something...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.