Sketchbook: Nichsweet's Sketchbook (noobity at it's finest!)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nichsweet's Sketchbook (noobity at it's finest!)

Hello there! Welcome to my sketchbook. I wanted to start a sketchbook so i could get help from people out there and it would also get me into a habit of sketching regularly. I need to get into a habit of sketching so I can improve my drawing and painting before I graduate HS. I will take all the comments I can get. Don't hold back on criticism please. Most of the images from the first 3 or 4 posts are from a year back or 3 months but I will try to keep it so the later posts are the newer sketches. Thanks for your help and advice!

PS. I will get better pictures in the future... sorry

vv A blue pastel skeleton (edit) vv

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nichsweetd19; February 17th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies so far! I remember doing a pepper and other stuff for one of my early drawing classes. The salt shaker reminds me of an exercise we did where we had to draw the reflections in chrome, like on the spout for the sink. It was difficult and I don't care for my picture (which I still have somewhere), but the exercise was a good one.

Post more so we can get a better feel for your style!

Here's my Book of Sketches

"Anything you can imagine is real." --Pablo Picasso

"Nothing says, 'I couldn't care less' like Times New Roman." --Me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cozmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the tree sketch the most out of the group. I would suggest going across the whole form with some of your cross-hatching (lightly), and erase or build up areas, so your transitions (curves, etc..) read better, they're a little abrupt.
    just a suggestion though

keep it up, and i hope to see more from you, reminds me i need to do more pen work.

stop by my book sometime

cheers

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dope Fiend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the tree is pretty awesome. you got some nice rendering skills. ur anatomy needs a bit of work, maybe you should work on that. good stuff so far! doin well

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone for your comments! They make me happy

Here's some more old sketches that I want to get up before I show the recent stuff.

OKAY HUGE EDIT HERE. SO this sketchbook has been totally messed up so right now I'm just gonna post most of the stuff I had up here without any sort of subtitle because its boring and I don't think anyone who sees this cares... :/ SO Here we go AGAIN

Last edited by nichsweetd19; May 26th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more old sketch update, and then some RECENT STUFF!!WOO! Since I don't have much more I'm gonna put in some finished stuff from school later on...

1-3) FIRST figure drawing session ever! I went after school and it was really awkward and I left early :/ but i still learned a lot and I plan to go back eventually. RECENT Stuff now! 4)I started to look at different concept artists and their style and then just figure drawing in general and I practiced in notebooks during school so i got a lil better! 5)more figure stuff 6)I went crazy and drew a fun page with a FISH ! But this showed me that I need to develop a definite style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update! These drawings are all from the past week and I've basically looked at life and then from imagination. I'm super happy with how they turned out, but I should probably start doing full drawings, ah well. In due time.

I realized everything drawn doesn't need a description... its pretty self explanatory haha (plus I'm lazy and I don't think people care lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got pretty studies here! I especially like the pen ones from your first post and great hand sketches from post #7.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Namae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Namae- Thank you I'm gonna try to do more pen illustrations in the future, they tend to be very dramatic.

One update for today, I tried to blend painting abstractly with pencil illustrations. The little story behind this piece is that I had an art assignment that I didn't complete so I drew my friend during lunch and threw it on a crazy background I painted in acrylic done in 2 minutes what do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Nice skeches in here!
    I like particulary the first one and the last hands study!
    Keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so i let up now for a month on this whole sketching thing. But I have to get back to it. I get really frustrated when things don't turn out how I like and I just stop but I'm gonna try to get past it. So let me present the next huge post of random, crappy sketches and studies!

Here I finally figured that I should start looking up Posemaniacs, and Bridgman's anatomy, and I found a few things online and they really really help, especially with the help of other sketchbooks on here. When I got bored of that I decided to go crazy and sketch whatever, and I'm not going to be afraid of posting the the crappiest and most random drawings that I do. I can feel the progress at my fingertips .

At the end here is the start of a painting done a while back that I never finished but hopefully will grow the balls to complete. Its supposed to be a realistically rendered person experiencing fear of a past that is experimentally painted. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have not been updating this stuff in forever because I have been busy with sports and my AP Art portfolio complete with 24 pieces (2 of which are in this post and more are yet to come). Also, I have one more day left of high school, and then I'm done! I can honestly say that I just got scared s***less, while I was typing this message. To think that four years ago I never even dreamed to be where I am now, in every aspect of my life !!!! But in other news, I have improved so much over the past few months with my periodic inactivity. I'm thinking about taking an art class at the community college over the summer before going into my double major next year. So hopefully I can make it easy on myself! .

SO onto the pictures, heres just a small post of the select few presentable sketches (some of which I copied from other people) since my last post, and then two paintings from my concentration (one that you saw me working on earlier) . I even added a picture of a doodle I was doing in physics class haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update because I haven't in a while.

These are two paintings I did during Highschool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. So. I'm a lazy bum.
    I've gone to college (not an art school, which I am regretting), so I have been really busy. I haven't updated in FOREVER. So, I need to get started again. I've sketched a bit during the year, AND I got a nice drawing tablet for Christmas . So there is gonna be a bit more variety now. But I'm rusty and kinda suck. I copied some of the figures from a blog I saw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This quarter I've started a figure drawing class! I'm super excited and I already know I'm going to learn a lot. so hopefully a lot of improvement and sketches shall be on the way!

In this lil bunch I have a bunch of sketches just done randomly in my tiny sketchbook I'm trying to focus on making my sketches interesting too. I need to branch out and get more creative SO I'm trying to doodle! I also am trying to work on proportions and gesture with figure so there are a few posemaniac poses in here. I've got a bunch of mistakes please point out what I need to focus on because some of them I even wrote notes because they were so horrible :/. Also a lot of these drawings are copies of other people, yet again- I salute you artistic masters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you have a nice sketchbook so far. That painting of the boy and dad fishing reminds me something Norman Rockwell would do. Keep up the good work!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon Lizardman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i love how you are focusing on traditional materials. it will be a huge asset as you progress.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Demon- Thank you!
    @Aryah- Thanks! Yea I love working with traditional media its free-er for me. I like the looseness I can get from my own hands that I can't get from a computer. :/

So first week of figure drawing done! Already have a lot of work done in my sketchbook. And I have a new found love for conte crayon.

In the first column I started with posemaniac 30 second drawings in several different sort of styles, then I found this great animal drawing site on stumbleupon its really cool and it lets you draw figures too from pictures of live models!
    The second column I have two more complete drawings compared to what I normally do. Looking at them now I can tell a lot of my proportions are way off. Both are drawn from pictures.
    The third column I got bored and drew my bed sheets for some fabric practice (I think I need a bit of work). And I ended by testing myself with imaginative figures and 3 birds. I learned a lot already but as you can see I can tell what I need to fix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant work here. Your paintings are awesome.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JAB! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooooooo I know its been 20 days. But I've been so busy! 20 credit hours this quarter and... yea. And I've been drawing a lot in my figure drawing class- A LOT (at least 100 by now) and they are huge so I hope to show you ALL of them in the summer XD but it will be nice and orderly and well done and great so it won't look annoying.

Anyway so this set, I have some homework from my class and a lil practice I did this week. I'm in an artistic and emotional slump, so I needed to motivate myself and I did that by working on my line and shade and stuff. I also had a little fun with a portrait I did of my sister- I could never doodle... so I literally looked up how online (yea its sad). I did a small little drawing of one of my friends and then I have a 20 min self portrait from standing up at 1AM, so that was fun.. and then a 1 hour sitting down- I'm sure you guys can tell them apart (Hint the 20 min one is horrible). Let me know what to dooo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, you'll go far with those studies. A lot of improvement on faces! Also, those paintings are quite good! What can I say, work more, try to avoid smudging when using pencils, somebody told me to do the same and it worked wonders. Nice progress!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost forgot! Haha!
    @JAB!- THANK YOU!
    and
    @SandyMan- Thanks so much! I'll try for sure! Its been something I always struggle with, not sure if its my greasy hands or what haha. But I'll pay extra attention

Also one comment on my last group. The two girls I drew (my sister and my friend) are also 2 of the paintings that I have here: The shocked girl, and the graphite and acryllic "mixed media" sort of thing (is it mixed media if I just glue a drawing on top?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad at faces ? I don't think so. The "small little drawing of one of my friends" is the best till now. And wait a minute, are that jelly fish sky balloons ?
    Most important: there is improvement between the stuff you posted last year and your works of 2012. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man...there isn't too much t o say, you know what you need to do to get better and you're actually doing it. There's been a ton of progress. Uhm the only couple things I can say is maybe watch your linework (granted that's totally personal preference) and maybe try to apply those studies a little more. BUT just keep up the hard work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that painting from the guy with a newspaper. I'm curious to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are develpoing well and you seam to be improving quickly. Your paintings have a good balance of colour, and I love the atmospheric seascape, it looks like it has been done with charcoal.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.