Sketchbook: JohnyTex's Everyday Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

JohnyTex's Everyday Sketchbook

Hello everybody! I've been doodling for as long as I can remember, but recently I decided I wanted to step up my game and learn how to draw "for real". Hopefully there will be a lot of progress in this thread eventually!

Since I'm a beginner I'd deeply appreciate any and all advice you could give me, both critiques and advice on what to practice. And english isn't my first language, so don't hesitate to correct my grammar as well

Thanks in advance! It's exciting being a part of a commmunity with so many talented members, I hope one day I can master the craft as well as some of you guys have!

Finally, I'll just drop this quote from Geoffrey Chaucer here, as a reminder to myself and to others:
    "The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne."

You heard the man, it's time to get cracking!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first pencil drawing

Wow, this gave me a lot of trouble - I'm not used to using pencil at all, especially not for shading. I tried getting down the main contours first (the whole head, the face framed by the hair and bandana), but it looked really awkward.

I almost gave up right there, but then I decided I would try some shading. When I got to that step it felt like something "clicked" and it finally started to bear some resemblance to the reference photo.

I ended up making lots of corrections in the shading stage, because I couldn't spot what the errors were before. It didn't feel like the best way to go - my eraser got a real workout! Any advice on how to get better at getting the "right" lines down sooner?

All in all I was quite pleased with the result, even though there's still errors everywhere. Maybe they cancel each other out?
    Anyway, comments and feedback would be much appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JohnyTex; March 3rd, 2011 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing looks nice, Johny! I'd love to see more doodles. : It might be easier if you try and draw the forms that make up the head, hair, nose, etc, rather than trying to get the contour down. (Contour is HARD - especially when working from a picture where it's more about masses and areas of tone, rather than line.)

There are a variety of ways you can break the head down, so it will probably just depend on what works for you. Some people start with a circle, others a sideways egg (for the skull, which is not a perfect sphere) and some a box.

What they have in common is a line down the center (from top of the brow to chin, bisecting the face) and usually horizontal lines as indicators for where the mouth, nose, eyes, and brows are. (It can get even more in depth depending on the style and personal preference.) The idea is to build a complex shape from a simple shape - like a table is really a rectangle, and so forth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit run View Post
    The drawing looks nice, Johny! I'd love to see more doodles. : It might be easier if you try and draw the forms that make up the head, hair, nose, etc, rather than trying to get the contour down. (Contour is HARD - especially when working from a picture where it's more about masses and areas of tone, rather than line.)
    Thanks for the feedback!

I was drawing on the subway today and tried to apply what you said about forms, and it turned out pretty nice. Unfortunately I got to my stop before I could finish the drawing and so I lost my reference

I've also noticed that, like you said, it's easier to work with tone areas - when I have been doing digital painting I pretty much just copy "value areas" from a reference, working from light to dark. Is that a good way to do it? I'm thinking maybe I'll miss out on learning about form since I'm just copying patches of values? :|

Edit: I'm trying to draw every day, but I was too tired from running to do something proper. So, this is what I came up with instead:

Edit2: Argh, the perspective is all over the place; the chin looks like it's too far in front, the eyes don't line up with the rest of the face. I guess I need to work on my construction

Last edited by JohnyTex; March 4th, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
    My sketchbook! Please have a look and comment!

Sketchbook Support Group:
    Wingal Roboko Oghren Ixallus
    Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another exercise from the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The assignment was to:
    * Copy the contours of your left hand onto a viewfinder. This is done by putting your hand directly under the viewfinder and tracing the contour (with one eye closed)
    * Transfer the contours drawn on the viewfinder to paper, using the crosshairs as a guide
    * Fill in the details by looking at the hand.

Turned out quite nice!

The book recommended to do more drawings using this viewfinder technique and I definitely will... tomorrow - I'm exhausted now!

Last edited by JohnyTex; March 4th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another hand... Wish I had time for more studies, but it's 11:30 and I have to go to work tomorrow -_-'

EDIT: Couldn't get the attachment to work, for some reason CA is being really slow for me at the moment. Could be because I'm in Sweden?

Last edited by JohnyTex; March 7th, 2011 at 05:24 AM.

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats a nice hand, the last hand on post #6 didnt load for me though, and jonny dep (spellcheck) is a funny looking character in pirates haha, good actor anyways that bloke.
    anyways i guess repetition would help to identify the right lines, maybe draw 50 crap faces in like 1-2 hours, and then try refining them, looking at what isnt right..
    and just simple observation, how big is his mouth, how long is his beard. ect.
    im not good at faces myself, people bore me, but i will try learning too and hope u progress aswell. Post as much as u can!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,520 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I almost gave up right there, but then I decided I would try some shading. When I got to that step it felt like something "clicked" and it finally started to bear some resemblance to the reference photo. "

I reckon thats an important lesson/confidence booster to learn; often things look shite at first and you want to stop, but if you trust the reference and dont give up after a while your brain sees Johnny Depp where before there was a mess.
    Its the same mechanism that sees amazingly detailed faces in clouds; your mind wants to see a face, you just have to give it enough hints in the right places.
    Really helps build confidence when that happens a few times I found..

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, THIS DRAWING!

Took me like 90 minutes to complete, and I'm still not satisfied with it - only kind of looks like the girl in the reference.

And I was planning to try following my own advice and do more quick studies instead of putting so much time into these huge projects. I'm thinking that might be a better way to learn basic anatomy, etc., since I'm spending so much time rendering - does that make sense?

I just rage-ate an orange and some pieces of chocolate because I was so frustrated with this drawing!

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "I almost gave up right there, but then I decided I would try some shading. When I got to that step it felt like something "clicked" and it finally started to bear some resemblance to the reference photo. "

I reckon thats an important lesson/confidence booster to learn; often things look shite at first and you want to stop, but if you trust the reference and dont give up after a while your brain sees Johnny Depp where before there was a mess.
    Its the same mechanism that sees amazingly detailed faces in clouds; your mind wants to see a face, you just have to give it enough hints in the right places.
    Really helps build confidence when that happens a few times I found..
    Thanks, those are encouraging words

It feels almost as if you get some parts right more and more stuff starts falling into place, sort of like a jigsaw puzzle... it's interesting, but quite frustrating at times! -_-'

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'll get faster with more practice, and try not to spend too much time on that book, as long as you understand the point of the exercises there's no need to complete them or even do them. Keep it up

Oh and don't worry if you're not very good at all in the beginning, you're not drawing to make pretty pictures but to get better

Last edited by Roboko; March 9th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Roboko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboko View Post
    You'll get faster with more practice, and try not to spend too much time on that book, as long as you understand the point of the exercises there's no need to complete them or even do them. Keep it up
    Thanks - it's kind of what this little voice in my head has been saying for some time now I think I'll keep it up until the exercises start to become tedious. Did you read it as well? It seems to be quite popular, all of my friends who are into drawing have either bought it or heard of it ;D

Now for some sketches!

I just scanned my sketchbook; I bring it everywhere I go, and I try to keep doodling whenever I have to sit down some place. I try to draw people on the subway if I can, but they have a tendency to walk away after a while or spot me while I'm drawing. Oops!

Oh and don't worry if you're not very good at all in the beginning, you're not drawing to make pretty pictures but to get better
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind I think I'm too much of a perfectionist sometimes!

Last edited by JohnyTex; March 9th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one was painful... another exercise from Drawing, the point was to draw a chair using negative space. Much harder and more frustrating than I could've imagined! Hopefully I learned something from this. (Other than "chairs are hard to draw!" )

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keeep going and keep posting...
    you seems to be going good..
    best of luck..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NITISH KUMAR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah keep it up, if u got spare time {like if ur younger and in easy school stuff} then i think u shud try drawing more and more hours! slowly increase
    thanks for the links btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Providenc View Post
    Yeah keep it up, if u got spare time {like if ur younger and in easy school stuff} then i think u shud try drawing more and more hours! slowly increase
    thanks for the links btw
    No problem! ;D

Unfortunately I'm interning at a video game company right now, so the workload is quite high - I draw whenever I can scrounge up a couple of minutes of free time, which means a lot of doodling on the subway and then maybe a few hours of concentrated drawing before going to bed - if I'm lucky

Anyway, I don't have any sketches for today - I have officially broken the pledge of the sketchbook!

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go - another day, another exercise! I tried scanning this at first but it was really hard to get it to scan properly because the sketchpad was so thick - and I didn't want to rip out the page either!

The point of this exercise was to learn how to use negative space to aid drawing complex objects. Drawing the chair was pretty easy, but the face of the girl was really hard to get right; the fact that the reference picture was way too small didn't help either. Original drawing is by Winslow Homer.

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another page from my sketchbook - I take it everywhere I go and try to draw whenever I have some spare time and energy

I like using pens for my sketchbook as I don't even have to think about erasing, which is kind of relaxing

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day, another Drawing exercise. Assignment was to do a Rubens study and make sure to use negative space. Turned out quite nice!

I also did some studies on posemaniacs.com. They're fun to do and they feel very useful, but they sure use up a lot of paper! I'm thinking maybe I should start using regular printer paper and not waste the heavy paper in my sketchbook on 30s studies

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Careful with posemaniacs, I've heard from a few people that the poses are too stiff and they're generally not very useful when learning anatomy, photo reference is apparently better

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Roboko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your last post looks good man show us more! I tend to just use computer paper for quick gestures after using up a third of my sketch book with gestures >.< Yea i heard the same thing. http://pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html this is a good one for gestures =D

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Careful with posemaniacs, I've heard from a few people that the poses are too stiff and they're generally not very useful when learning anatomy, photo reference is apparently better
    I agree; the poses are really stiff sometimes and they look more like mannequins than real people. I guess they could be OK for gesture drawing, but if you learn anatomy from posemaniacs you will draw some pretty weird people ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Your last post looks good man show us more! I tend to just use computer paper for quick gestures after using up a third of my sketch book with gestures >.< Yea i heard the same thing. http://pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html this is a good one for gestures =D
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for, guess I can drop posemaniacs now!

EDIT: Doesn't look like I'll be uploading anything tonight, too busy with work. Man, I'm dying here -_-'

Last edited by JohnyTex; March 14th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's better! Still way too busy for my own good, but I managed to sneak some drawing into my schedule anyway. Wingal, your link was really nice, you really can tell the difference just by looking at the studies.

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook sir! I always love to read peoples quirty notes and comments on their own drawings haha

Could tell you rushed those gestures Most important thing about doing them is to capture the pose and think about the porportions, foreshortening, etc. Some of them are wonky haha

33. The Following User Says Thank You to haste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my SB. Keep drawing and don't stop. mix up mediums too just to play around. Keep studying the masters too. If you ever need to do master studies it up http://artrenewal.com/. Best Freakin site on earth.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Scribbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by haste View Post
    cool sketchbook sir! I always love to read peoples quirty notes and comments on their own drawings haha

Could tell you rushed those gestures Most important thing about doing them is to capture the pose and think about the porportions, foreshortening, etc. Some of them are wonky haha
    Haha, indeed they were I set the timer for 30 seconds, but I had a real hard time getting them down on paper that quick. Do you think it would be better to spend more time studying each figure instead of doing lots of quick drawings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Scribbles View Post
    Thanks for visiting my SB. Keep drawing and don't stop. mix up mediums too just to play around. Keep studying the masters too. If you ever need to do master studies it up http://artrenewal.com/. Best Freakin site on earth.
    Thanks! Wow, that website looks great, don't know how I missed that. Do you have any other advice to keep in mind when doing master studies?

I apologize for asking a lot of questions, but I want to sponge up as much information as possible from those with more knowledge than me

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,pencil drawings are a bit muddy but i rly like your pen drawings. Keep up

Sketchbook
    --------------------------------------------------
    Creusa- n1frit - DanLiimatta - Fallen - Suz- Hu-ha

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there!
    Looks like you're off to a good start. I liked the hands and the picture in post nine especially.
    Now, lets see.
    Do you know about Loomis? If not, then check these links out:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/501782/And...Head-and-Hands
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/255814/And...Figure-Drawing

My only crit is try to work on your lines, though when you become more confident in your ability it will probably come naturally.
    Keep up the good work! C:

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidy View Post
    Hello there!
    Looks like you're off to a good start. I liked the hands and the picture in post nine especially.
    Now, lets see.
    Do you know about Loomis? If not, then check these links out:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/501782/And...Head-and-Hands
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/255814/And...Figure-Drawing

My only crit is try to work on your lines, though when you become more confident in your ability it will probably come naturally.
    Keep up the good work! C:
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Hey,pencil drawings are a bit muddy but i rly like your pen drawings. Keep up
    Thanks a lot! I have all the Loomis books, but haven't started on them yet - still working my way through Drawing on the Right Side..., but I'm thinking they'll be my next stop

I really appreciate the crits and encouragement! I'll try to be more mindful of my lines in the future, it feels like I've been too slow and careful, and not bold enough in my strokes. Hopefully that'll make my pencils look sharper as well

Show them some love!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnyTex View Post
    Haha, indeed they were I set the timer for 30 seconds, but I had a real hard time getting them down on paper that quick. Do you think it would be better to spend more time studying each figure instead of doing lots of quick drawings?
    Short poses are great, but its really not about how fast your hand can move or how fast you draw. You want to capture the figure as efficiently as possible, alot of it is observation and putting down lines where it matters.

I would suggest really slowing down and taking the time to think about what youre seeing before putting pen to paper. Set the timer to 30 seconds but dont worry about how finished it is. You might just have a torso in 30secs, and thats fine..youll see improvements the more you practice. Do a mix of long and short sketches

anyway, I have time to draw tonight yay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.