Sketchbook: Butterknife's poo scented sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Butterknife's poo scented sketchbook

Hello ConceptArt.org denizens,

I am not good at drawing.. This is my attempt to change that, periodically, over the next year or more.

My goal is to get into school for 3d animation, or just good ol' hand drawn animation, I will apply sometime in the period of December 2011-January 2012.

I was inspired to start this after I'd gotten a big fat rejection letter to a University course I'd applied to this year. My art is 'not to a sufficiently high standard'. So this, THIS, is something I must correct.

My plan is to draw, hopefully daily, and get better. I'll read books, tutorials, or anything any future viewers of this thread suggest to me.

Right now, I'm reading 'Fun With A Pencil' by Andrew Loomis, I'm going to try to get through the book and upload my progress as I go along each day. Though, maybe that's not actually something anyone wants to see.. I'll draw enough that hopefully someone will post lol.

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First update.. I've been following the book fairly exactly. Not sure if that's the correct way to be doing it. Nothing interesting so far .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update from yesterday. Still, nothing.. I'll keep at it though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, I like the way your characters dont all have the same head shapes, thats good. I would however recommend you draw through the form and shapes before rending hard edges and shadows, just to have a better understand of the head.

Keep it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, my first reply ! Thanks so much for even taking the time to comment. When you say draw through the form and shapes, do you mean like shape out the head with circles, etc to get a base before I try to add details?

From reading this book, I'm understanding how to do it on just a plain sphere, but for something like the actual human head, I don't know where to start.. I try to start out with an egg shape, but it always seems so flat, the features are always placed so terribly x.x.

Thanks again for your comment , I appreciate it so so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check this link out, it gives you a better understanding of that. http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2...ead-any-angle/

Here's a quick doodle I made for someone about the same subject,
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1298931124

You already got a good start though. It's all about trail and error, keep drawing man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd tried that method in the link PLeon provided (thanks so much for that, it's so helpful!) It helped me a ton in placing the features in the face, and actually giving me an idea of where to begin. I always viewed the face as just like a mess of features, unsure of where to start.

Though, this isn't great, it's just a small update of my start with it. I had trouble knowing where to place the features exactly still, I should have remembered to check your attachment, showing the spacing between all of the features using this method. That would have been so helpful x.x, I'll remember to do it though.

One thing I do have to say, I DRAW SO DAMNED SLOWLY. Every line seems to take me a year to make, it's always fudged as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I'd stumbled upon someone's sketchbook and I was inspired by the progress they'd made following Betty Edwards' book 'Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain'. So I thought I'd try it out.. I'm about 122 pages in, and I don't think it's helping me.. I can't find the materials to create a proper 'viewfinder', I'd tried to make one out of plastic wrap lol.. Total failure there. Some of exercises, like the drawing upside down one.. I don't think they'll really help me. The first one is just SO bad.

I'm just always at a loss of where to start.. I feel like I'm in a state of continually starting some part of learning and I'm inadequate at comprehending it all. I'm absolutely awful at drawing lines, I can't shade at all, no concept of perspective..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helloo hello

Quote Originally Posted by Butterknife View Post
    I can't find the materials to create a proper 'viewfinder', I'd tried to make one out of plastic wrap lol.. Total failure there. Some of exercises, like the drawing upside down one.. I don't think they'll really help me. The first one is just SO bad.

I'm just always at a loss of where to start.. I feel like I'm in a state of continually starting some part of learning and I'm inadequate at comprehending it all. I'm absolutely awful at drawing lines, I can't shade at all, no concept of perspective..
    LOL I had the same problems with the viewfinder, I tried to use plastic wrap too but it failed miserably. In the end I bought an A4 sheet of clear plastic perspex on ebay, it was surprisingly cheap (something like £2 including P&P). It will really help you having a clear sheet of plastic you can draw on...Sometimes I just sit and trace what's on my desk or in my room directly on to the plastic, it helps you to see how to flatten what you see around you into a 2D shape (if that makes sense?)

Your exercises look good, keep going! And don't skip over parts of the book, read it all slowly, understand it, and then read it again and try the exercises

Keep posting!

Last edited by saltfox; March 6th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to saltfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen, if you are new to drawing as you said, your drawing are very good !
    It is just that you are a beginner, you cannot start drawing like if you was drawing regularly from years. You can visit my sketchbook and see how I started, and until now, at each drawing I learn something !

"Practice", this is the key to the success. From the book that you are reading, you should take this, "draw what you see and not what you think are seeing". It is easy to understand, but actually only practice make it possible.

If you don't know how to start, put a line or a circle, any thing, it is not important, just don't draw it too hard. For example I put 2 lines to limit the top and the bottom of a head when I draw a portrait.

Just remember, you will draw shit, I draw shit, but after years of drawing shit, you will look at a drawing and say "Did I really draw it ? is that me?", it happened to me and to every one who had found some improvement after years of hard work.

To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for your encouragement . I know it's going to take me a long long time to make meaningful progress.. I get down on myself, because sometimes I draw things and it looks worse than something I did a year ago lol. Which is really bad x.x.

I want to keep practicing.. I'm not exactly sure where to start x.x. I should maybe look at references, but when I do just do reference sketches, I never feel like I'm learning anything ? I have a big problem with lines, I'm fail at them. I see a lot of people who have just clean strokes, mine go all wonky, or are too light.. Hopefully I'll get better at it eventually.

I was able to construct a viewfinder for the Betty Edwards' exercises.

I also tried that posemaniac website, but my 30 second drawings are unintelligible lol. So I won't bother to post them >.>.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so, I did the most AMAZING thing two days ago. I've been following Betty Edward's book, which requires a glass/plastic panel 'viewfinder' to draw on with marker. I put it beside my desk without thinking, and stepped on it ! So It pretty much exploded all over my foot.

So I'd had to buy a new one and these are the crap sketches I've made over the past few days following that book.

These are including my first perspective drawings, using her method of 'sighting' where you just use your pencil to gauge proportions by creating rations between objects in pictures.

I REALLY need help understanding how to draw objects at an angle in perspective with this 'sighting method' With the regular '2 point perspective, etc' I could just use a ruler, but it's not allowed with this ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So in the past couple of days, I've been a bit low on myself again about my progress. I'm unsure of my studies. The problem I have really is that I have a hard time knowing where to start, or if what I actually WANT to do will lead to progress..

So my friend had helped me develop sort of a schedule to stick to.

1 day of drawing something I'm good at
    1 day of drawing something I'm bad at
    1 day of studying old masters paintings (optional assignment to draw from a more current artist in which I'm interested in)
    1 day of life study

Normally when I try to study anatomy, it goes straight over my head. So my thinking was that maybe I could just draw from observation until I establish some principles in my head, then read anatomy to supplement it.

I'd done that yesterday with the '1 day of drawing something I'm good at', a couple of really shit observations of the skull.

This was my day of drawing the head/skull

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so yesterday was the day I had drawn the things I was bad at. Let me say, it was an ABSOLUTE EFFING DISASTER.

The thing I'm worst at is most definitely drawing the human body. I'd taken two attempts to draw even just like two lines on a paper while looking at a reference. The furthest I'd gotten was writing FUCK THIS on a paper, and ripping it apart. After which, I decided I'd draw a mountain, at the top titled 'the ability to draw the human form', and a picture of me as a stick man at the very bottom.

I then gave up altogether. I realized a couple of hours later that I'd need to somehow read the loomis figure drawing book to even get an idea of proportion before I could begin to try to draw the human body.

So I did the few charts, and then tried to do just one picture to apply the knowledge from the charts. It's not great, but this is all about improvement I guess .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The human form is one of the toughest things to draw! I understand you getting really frustrated, hahah.
    You should check to see if there are any live-model sessions in your area you could sit in on. I'm not sure how to find them exactly, but I know my university holds some that are open to the public, you just pay 7 dollars or something for a semester.
    Also, I'm just learning about the gauging method you were talking about in my illustration class; where you hold a dowel at arms length and copy those proportions onto the paper exactly.
    You can use it for more than just rooms! Try doing it with a still life or even your face in the mirror. It can't hurt. Just don't become dependent on it, haha.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work man ! don't be frustrated. When you draw something so ugly that you cannot look at, just rip it and throw it in the trash. Take a little break and prepare the new attack. TAKE YOUR TIME, most often bad results comes with the speed.

And I quote myself "Just remember, you will draw shit, I draw shit, but after years of drawing shit, you will look at a drawing and say "Did I really draw it ? is that me?", it happened to me and to every one who had found some improvement after years of hard work."

You are definitely improving so don't stop.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you two for taking the time to look at my sketchbook . I have been really struggling with drawing the human body still.. Having no idea how to begin the structure, or have any clue on how to sight or use proportions to establish a figure.

I will hopefully keep drawing shit, and after enough of it accumulates, I will climb that mountain of shit and reach GLORY.

I plan on also doing some life-drawing either tonight, or tomorrow. I might do a self-portrait mebbe. I'm not exactly sure .

I'm very slow at drawing, it takes me a long time to make my lines as I want to make everything look as best I can . So it takes me hours to make pictures.

Anyway, in frustration of even trying to recreate an 'Old Master's Painting', I'd given up, and thought it would be impossible to even try. But last night, after fighting off a bad depression I was in, I'd tried to recreate Bouguereau's 'Cupidon'.. I had no idea who he was until I was just introduced to him, he is so amazing x.x.

Last edited by Butterknife; March 16th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to do a self-portrait for the drawing from life picture.. It's turned out very very bad .

I need to do more studies of facial anatomy; particularly the skull. So tomorrow, I'll just try to do a bunch of studies.

Last edited by Butterknife; March 17th, 2011 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated in a couple of days, just generally due to depression and not wanting to do anything besides sloth around.. I'd tried to do some studies of the skull, but they were all a bit of a failure.

I decided I'd do a bit of drawing last night. I wanted to put more practice into drawing the entire body with proportion, as I'd tried to do with the 'Cupidon' pictar.

Last edited by Butterknife; March 21st, 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know wat u mean man i can realate i fing it really hard to know where to start and arfter twenty min i get bored or distacted (also as a person who has sufered for depression) and find it soooooooooooo hard to stick with it, so my advice to u is this stop the procrastination just do it even if you fear it you may feel bad by the end of it but you can consule in the fact that you at tryed (every day). like to see more work so keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by docfastman View Post
    i know wat u mean man i can realate i fing it really hard to know where to start and arfter twenty min i get bored or distacted (also as a person who has sufered for depression) and find it soooooooooooo hard to stick with it, so my advice to u is this stop the procrastination just do it even if you fear it you may feel bad by the end of it but you can consule in the fact that you at tryed (every day). like to see more work so keep posting
    Yeah lol, after a day of major depression, usually, the last thing you want to do is feel inadequate at drawing. I'll try to stop procrastinating as much, it usually makes me feel better when I don't. Thanks for looking at my sketchbook too .

Do you have one of your own?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your doing real good, your really putting in the effort and its just bout drawing then drawing some more so dont get discouraged

28. The Following User Says Thank You to spiralpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments!

First of all, it looks like your studying exactly what you need to. Keep up the great work! Persevere and the change will begin to show through!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're progressing, and it is visible. Your last drawing is a good proof.

Failed drawings are part of the process of learning (I say that for me first !), so a little rage, a little break and hop : return to drawing .

Here's a book you must have if you want to draw the human figure "Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life" .

You're on good track man, keep going.

PS: maybe something that can help you is to take a day to read something about cast shade and form shade, than drawing some basic shapes (sphere, cube, etc...) with shades, You will need this to draw volumes.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just keep at it mate couse ur definitly progressing, ( also didn't mean to preach at ya) keep posting work couse it help u keep it pordousing work an were mostly nice people here.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

yeah, mate i've got a sketchbook i've got a few ( i tend to make a new one every now and agein) .... although still havn't figured out how to post the link......oooooohhhhh welll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates.. I've just been really depressed, it's hard to do anything when you feel like shit.

I've taken the advice of TheGeek, and tried to 'study' Bridgman.. Though I'm not sure what to really do.. I just sort of copy the pictures, and think about what I'm copying lol.

Last edited by Butterknife; March 27th, 2011 at 04:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman studies are quite good ! Keep at it
    Also the last picture has better shapes and shadows than those from the last post, so just continue to work, even if I know it's hard when you don't feel right :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helloo, I hope you feel better soon

Those Bridgman studies look really nice!

Keep going!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to saltfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to hear you are not doing good But I think you should be very happy with how you have improved! I know it can be hard to see with your own art but I can see it in yours clear as day ! So whatever you do keep at it, please Whenever I dont feel like doing studies or so I think to myself what I want out of it, and even if you dont like where you are now, you are doing something to go in the right direction of where you want to be.

I will pester you for updates!!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to spiralpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry to hear you feeling down mate. but u've definitly inproved. how about trying different media like chalk or ink or both. just have fun with it you may find that it will help with you're figur study

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.