My first speedpainting finished!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first speedpainting finished!

Hi to all of you artists out there!
    If i've posted this thread in the wrong place, please remove it or do as you wish. I'm new here and i've been trying to do digital art for 5 months without any guides or tutorials, so if you could critique my work i'll be happy in the way that your critiques are going to make me better at this!

This took me some hours like around 2 or 3, i was looking at a reference for 15 minutes and i decided to make it my own way....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any comments will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. I just saw this post all the way down there with no replies, so I decided to throw you one.
    First of all, welcome! This is definitely a good place if you really want to learn and improve your abilities, both from the support and knowledge provided by the members and also the inspiration/motivation you gain from seeing everyone's art.

Since you're just starting out, I can personally understand your initial enthusiasm and desire to just try things on your own, but painting digitally is a pretty tricky thing on top of being able to draw with more traditional materials, so I think that you should definitely start looking at some good tutorials and information online (or books offline) to get yourself some good foundation on how to go about practicing and creating good images. Unfortunately, I'm not the type to keep lots of useful site links on hand, but here are some right on this site to get you started:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174732

Specifically on the image you posted - It looks like you put a lot of effort into rendering the details and such, but I think the biggest thing you could think about is being very mindful of basic construction and lighting and the values you use in that process, which should come before and is generally more important than rendering details. As an example, if you look at the forehead, the way you constructed the values, it sort of looks like it protrudes out to a sharp ridge right in the middle. Instead of jumping into final rendering from the start, try thinking of the canvas as a big block of clay that you gradually build up using large shapes of value (lights and darks) and then when your foundation is good, you can start working out the finer details.

Hope that helps, and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can tell from the ear and hairdo that that's Will Smith...

Like wooblood said, you need to start focusing on getting the basics right, in the case of a portraits that's position and shape of facial features. Start by putting them in the right place, then go on to constructing their shape. Start big (head shape) then move on to smaller (forehead, brows, cheekbones, chin, mouth area, nose) then you start with the "good parts" (eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose shape, nostrils, ears).

I'm sure there're some good tutorials on head & face construction in the link wooblood posted...

Good luck!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks guys you're relly helpful, wooblood-thanks i'm going to take a look at them i'm sure they will help me alot, and thanks for your advise Whyatt Thrash..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.