Art: Complete design newbie needs some help with logo

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Complete design newbie needs some help with logo

Alright folks, I've got a problem.

So, I've agreed to design the logos for my graduation level's shirts and so on. I've got one left to do. Sadly, I don't know how to do it! What I want to do is an arched bar (think of a rainbow) and on top of that the silhouettes of various African animals, seeing that we have a safari theme. Inside the bar, it should read "SAFABI" in a nice font. It's all supposed to be a solid silhouette, with the letters like a cutout inside the silhouette. Like this:

I can't make the letters pretty and even by hand. I can do the animals with my graphic tablet and GIMP, but I have no clue at all how to make the bar with the writing. Anyone here who could help me out? It's really important and with all my graduation exams coming up I don't have a lot of time to work my way through the whole manual, which I would usually do.

I would be really grateful for any help!

Kjesta

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ahhh... this is a typography problem. Check this for inspiration:

http://www.beautifullife.info/graphi...ration-nature/

Another thing is look for suitable fonts, usually I recommend OpenType fonts but since that they're mostly commercial, you'll have to go for free. Here's a popular site for fonts:

http://www.dafont.com/

As for the text to be curvey, don't GIMP have anything similar to Type On Path option like on PhotoShop?

Thanks
    also i would use inkscape rather then gimp that way you can mess with it in vector format.

Thanks

Talking sample...

Last edited by britz-08; March 21st, 2011 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks
    Looking good, though i would center the text to the arced rectangle and make the text a tad bit bigger.

Thanks
    So long since I posted here I didn't even know there was a design forum, but I think I can help with this...
    First off, use illustrator to do this, or inkscape (which is free), (photoshop and gimp produce bitmaps, you want vectors).
    I don't use inkscape, so I'll tell you what to do in illustrator, you can download a free thirty day trial from adobe, but I'm not sure about the legalities of using it for this, I'm guessing that for a small non-commercial project it'd be ok, but you should check especially as you're doing this for school....:
    1) first open your drawing, use the pen tool to trace it. Only trace the animals, when you're happy delete the drawing.
    Turn off the storke, and fill with black.
    Make sure that the animals are pointing/rotated where you want them to be. You have to treat the animals as if they are part of the cirumference of a disk, with radii passing through it, a vertical guide should pass through the left giraffe horn, and the centre of the rest of the logo, so, select the animals, and select your rotate tool, you should see a boundary box, with a small crosshairs in it's centre, drag this to the tip of left giraffe horn, drag a vertical guide onto this from your ruler, you should now be able to pivot the logo around this point, use the guide to see when it's well balanced, and then select your ellipse tool.
    2) using your ellipse tool, create an ellipse the top of the ellipse will be the curve which lies under the letters, you can use your standard selection tool to resize this, so just do it roughly first. using the selection tool drag the ellipse down, until it's about where you'd like it to be, then left click and drag to select both the animals and the ellipse. Using your align palette (which you can find in "windows" at the top of the screen)
    You should now have both objects selected, with your ellipse below your tracing, click a second time on the tracing, and you should see it's boundaries stand out more than the ones for the ellipse, in your align palette, click "align vertical centre". the two objects are now aligned (hopefully ).
    In your layers palette, select the ellipse, and drag it onto the "new" button (at bottom left of the palette). select the bottom ellipse (make sure it's the bottom one), with your select tool, and drag the boundary box to scale the ellipse up. Hold down alt+shift as you do this, and it'll scale proportionately from the centre, which will give you the higher curve, to go above the lettering, change the colour of the second ellipse, so you can see both, you should have two ellipses now, the smaller sitting on the larger, and both with the same centre.drag a guide to the horizontal guide to the centre. Select both (leave the tracing deselected) and in your pathfinder palette, click "subtract", you should now have a ring, and a cross (guides) where the centre was.
    Create a rectangle, width doesn't matter, but it should reach from the centre point to above the ring. position this rectangle so that it's bottom right corner is directly on the centre point. Select your rotate tool, and drag the crosshairs to the centre point, then rotate the rectangle until you have the angle you want, the right edge which ran along the vertical guide is the outside line which is beside the "S" in safabi. When you're happy with the angle, right click, and select "reflect" choose vertical reflection, and hit copy, you should now have both edges, make sure the new reflected circle is in place, bottom left corner at the centre point, then select one of the rectangles, and the ring, and subtract, do both, but one at a time, and make sure that the ring is below the rectangle in the layers palette.
    3) You should now have everything except the type, select it all and click "add" in your pathfinder palette. Next is the tricky part, the typography...
    4) Choose your font, good advice if you're not familiar with typography is to go with classic fonts, the internet abounds with fonts which range hugely in their quality, but more than likely your computer has some of the best fonts ever made pre-installed, try them before you go trawling the web. Personally I think Arial black would go very well with this logo, and afaik it's preinstalled with illustrator.
    Back in illustrator, use your direct selection tool (shortcut A) to select the bottom line of your logo, hold control and click c, then v, you should have a copy of the line, click and hold on the type tool, and when you see the pop-up, select the "type on a path" tool, and click on the line, select your font at the top of the screen and align to centre (this align is in the paragraph palette, not the align palette one we used before) and type, select your point size (the proportion in your drawing is good, stick around there) in your character palette set tracking to -25, and horizontal scale to 97%, mess about with these, but don't go too far beyond these numbers if you're using a chunky font. Lastly use kerning to space the letters properly, the "afa" is going to give you problems, but just keep at it and you'll get there. It's a good idea with this to keep copying and pasting as you make new versions, so you'll have a range to choose from by the end.
    Put your final text in place, unlike the rest of this stuff, centring won't work for type, you'll need to do it by eye (the programme will centre it, but it usually looks wrong, you need it to look right more than you need it actually centred). When your text is in place, with it still selected, right click and choose create outlines. select everything, and either group it, or subtract it.
    (group will allow you to choose a seperate colour for the text, subtract will make the type into a hole in the tracing, it's your call.)
    Technicalities aside, I'd consider making the animals come right down to the bottom curve, do away with the straight sides and upper curve altogether, and I'd consider facing the giraffe in the opposite direction.
    TLR? hopefully I got to give help here for a change....

Thanks

Xrumer Cracked

D o w n l o a d
    Xrumer_2.5_Cracked_,_Xrumer_2.9_Cracked_,_Xrumer_3 _Cracked,_Xrumer_4_Cracked_Hrefer_,_Video_manual.r ar
    http://depositfiles.com/files/9yfld8m7a

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.