Sketchbook: Mary's Quest For Moar Betterness
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mary's Quest For Moar Betterness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mary's Quest For Moar Betterness

First off, Hi, I'm Mary from Alaska (in WA atm) and I'm having a quite amazing time getting to know the awesomeness that is CA and the so-cool people who live here. Been lurking since (last month?) yeah last month I think and I think I know enough about how this place operates to start a sketchbook so I will!

I'll say that my reason for starting a sketchbook is so that I feel as if I'm filling up my irl sketchbooks for a purpose rather than just leaving all my drawings squished together looking at the behinds of eachother for the rest of their lives (the current state of my old high school sketchbooks.)

That being said, if you're here and you have something to say please do because I'd love to hear it! I have literally never had anyone in my life who has given me straightforward knowledgeable advice about my art. No wait, I take that back, I took ONE actual month long art class a couple summers ago (Plein Air FTW!) and I fell in love with getting good advice.

I really do have tons to learn and school isn't something that is happening so I'm taking my instruction into my own hands. Let's get this on!

P.S. Am I right in thinking that because I used a reference for this portrait that the copyright belongs to the photographer? Or am I wrong and it belongs to me because I drew it? This is the photo that I used: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/uOIjG...Dougie+Mandagi

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MLRoesbery; February 26th, 2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Wait, what happened to my attachment?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So a little while ago a few small things happened. One, I found this place. Two, I bought a new super cheap sketchbook for the point of filling up as soon as possible (as opposed to not wanting to finish a book because it was expensive or a gift and the paper is only worthy of purposeful thought-out work). Three, I bought charcoal sticks for the first time, not kidding I was jumping up and down in the check out line I was far too excited!

These next five sketches are what I put in that sketchbook in January with the charcoal.

Afterthoughts being that yes charcoal is fun, but also a challenge to do well. I don't like it so much anymore, but I don't want to grow cobwebs on it so we'll see if I can thoughtfully incorporate it into my future work. Keyword: thoughtfully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next up, portrait of UFC Mixed Martial Artist Cody McKenzie. Why would I draw him? I used to play on playgrounds and go to classes with this kid in a school of around 200 kids. What did I learn? Scan charcoals soon after making them and I should learn how to preserve charcoal drawings if I plan to make a serious piece with the stuff. Reference: http://i54.tinypic.com/2damy61.jpg

Challenged myself to Loomis, saw a lot of "I have a lot to work on." but not so much of "I need to work on this."

Had an idea for a Portal fan picture, but decided I'd settle for learning how to draw the cube. It's one hell of a cube to draw and I'm sure starting out with an actual cube outline would have been more productive *hangs head*.

Tried out this Wetcanvas reference thing for the forest scene, not sure what I got out of it. Please crit if you can, I don't really know what to think of it. Pen with charcoal.

Finally, did the first assignment from this lovely post http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332 . Actually had a lot of fun with the second part, not so much with the first part as the lighting in here after dark suuucks. What do you think?! Is the concept very clear at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studying bear poses for a project. Mostly charcoal and some pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff Mari .. keep that up

Last edited by ayoub66; February 27th, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you ayoub! Encouragement appreciated (FYI I'm a lady but no biggie)

Next up are fairly quickly done studies of people on Hel Looks. I am dealing with some exhaustion and too little free time because of work (food service bleh) so I challenged myself to getting the whole person with accessories up on the paper before I let myself crash on the keyboard for the night. So yay I got people on paper, now I need to get them on there right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

outch !! soory ^^ i edit my post

your last stuff are GREAT post more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your style!
    Try to stick to style but look better for the proportions! they seem to be quite off sometimes...;-)

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, welcome.

Second, I LOVE YOUR ENTHUSIASM!!! Seriously, you're the kind of artist I'd be like, "Hey, wanna go to the park and draw people for a couple of hours after class?" The way you described feeling when you bought the sketchbook and charcoals is the way I felt when I bought a sketchbook and a pen and some markers after my first visit to Concept Art. It's a feeling of empowerment, isn't it? Art is such a joy, and sometimes it feels like people lose that. Like they forget their first love or something.

Third, I like what I'm seeing. The Hel Looks drawings look a bit off...the first one looks like she's got a MASSIVE torso and stubby little legs. The second one looks like she's got a bit of a Spongebob body, with legs coming out of a squarish torso. But the third one looks a lot better. And that's only the proportions. As far as the tone and colour, I think you've got a really good grasp on lighting and tone, and I like that you're trying to add texture where you can.

Can't wait to see more!

Here's my Book of Sketches

"Anything you can imagine is real." --Pablo Picasso

"Nothing says, 'I couldn't care less' like Times New Roman." --Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omgosh thank you guys it's kind of amazing to have people help me with my stuff!

Thank you again ayoub!! You are so kind

ex-machina, thank you! I'm not really sure what my style is but I'll try not to loose it? And yes proportions, thank you for confirming to me that I need to not ignore them outrightly as I have been. I will make much more of an effort to get them right in the future!

Cozmo, Thank You! I would totally go hang at the park and draw with you after class. And I would bring snacks, lol. Art is definitely a joy if it is your joy. I think there are some people who make art and are deeply frustrated with it because it's not their passion or they don't know what their passion is yet. And then there are the passionate artists who have been working too hard! I say there is no time for getting frustrated! Get the joy back so you can do what you do best.

Yes, the Hel Looks, I do absolutely hate the second one but thanks for making it worth putting up here. I think I know what to do next time to avoid the problem with her. The first one, I see that it's a challenge to portray someone small in an way-too-big coat and MC Hammer pants, I suppose maybe following through with the folds in the pants? ...Ooh, I found the link: Sade and I see that I drew her standing upright when she wasn't. Ugh, I'm not sure there. I promise more Hel Looks studies in the future!

K, getting closer to current stuff here is some from early February. Yes, I did what I think are gesture drawings of a few avatars on here before I had to run off to work. Just had to draw SOMEthing before I went and made sandwiches for the whole town. Then there is a tin full of pins that is on my desk. The lid is on the tin, it has a window on the top so you can see the pins inside. If I could erase charcoal that lid would be properly round. Also not sure why the reflections on the side make it look dented rather than shiny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha ha. Well now looking at the actual photo, I totally see that you were spot on. The photo makes her look like she's got hobbit legs. I'll have to check that site out.

Another thing that I like to do is get clothing catalogues, like Alternative or Urban Outfitters or whatever, and draw the models. I like the Hel-Looks site for the variety (and WOW! What variety there is there), but sometimes the catalogues offer some better poses than just standing there for the camera.

Here's my Book of Sketches

"Anything you can imagine is real." --Pablo Picasso

"Nothing says, 'I couldn't care less' like Times New Roman." --Me

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.