Corel Painter Vs. Autodesk Stetchbook Pro
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Corel Painter Vs. Autodesk Stetchbook Pro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Corel Painter Vs. Autodesk Stetchbook Pro

Hails,

I got an Intuos4 tablet, and recently started using it with Painter 11. I've also heard a lot about Sketchbook Pro, and was just wondering if you have any thoughts on the cons/pros of each program.

I know that ultimately it's up to what feels natural to the user, but I would like some feedback from people who tried both.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I have seen of both programs...

Sketchbook Pro seems to be an extremely powerful sketch tool and not so much of a digital painting program. It can do very wonderful finished products, but does not have the flexibility nor the functionality that Painter has.

Painter is a very complex yet seemingly intuitive digital painting program that uses some very powerful tools, and is an industry standard.

Both have their places, but I would sum it up like this...

Work your sketches in Sketchbook pro, and when you're done, export them over to painter to bring them to life.

Photoshop is also very powerful and is almost the best of both worlds, or at least has some great tools that both of the above programs utilize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer Photoshop over both. I agree its the best of both worlds.

Sketchbook Pro is too minimalist, and I personally just hate the interface.

Corel Painter has a better interface but the wealth of brush options is staggering to the point where it can be viewed as a fault by some. Its also less stable and prone to crashing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sort of wondering the same thing as you, Alexei. I'm ordering a Painter 11/Intuos4 bundle because of the nice price, but I'm also thinking about picking up Sketchbook Pro for doing sketches. Just like Semus said. Sketch your ideas there, and bring them over to Painter, and finish them.

As for PS, I think it's way too expensive for me, and was told to try PS Elements instead. I haven't got my tablet or programs just yet, but when I do I will be getting trial versions of Sketchbook, and PS Elements, as well as Artrage Studio Pro (which simulates paint on canvas so well it looks real), and see what I like.

Besides, I wouldn't want to limit all my artwork to just one program!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worst thing you can do is choose between programs. You miss out on combining the unique strengths of several toolsets, and then get stuck with the weaknesses of one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're on OS X (at least Snow Leapord) Autodesk actually has a watered down free version of Sketchbook in the app store. The interface is about the same as the full version. It'll let you get a taste of Sketchbook for free and you could upgrade/buy the Pro version if you decide you like it.

Honestly for simple sketching the free one I find is plenty.

Members who have read this thread: 6