Three pieces of my portfolio - Need feedback

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Three pieces of my portfolio - Need feedback

Hey - I'm making on a portfolio, which I have to hand in next month, in order to apply for an art education.

At the moment, I'm a bit stuck, three of these drawings are included, while the rest are some character designs I'm working on.

All types of critique and feedback is appreciated.

Two backgrounds and a character design.

Last year I applied, I was told my character designs were not interesting, because they were too proportionate, I've tried to stretch it a bit, and really tried to make the polar bear an interesting character. But I'm still working a lot on the other characters too. When I've come further with the other characters I'll post those as well.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    ---------------------------
    My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Bering

Here's my two cents on your images.

1) Nice perspective lines and good contrast from the fridge. But the detailing looks rushed and sloppy in parts. That bottle in particular sticks out badly to me and brings down the rest of the image.

The kitchen counter cupboards look to be floating above the floor to me. I think this may have something to do with the angle of the foreground items. But I'll admit that dynamic perspective has never been my strong point so maybe someone else should advise you better.

2) I like the perspective here too, I think you have given the room (hangar?) a good sense of depth. What I don't like is the lighting, particularly on the left of the page, it feels either a bit rushed, or that someone is maybe shining a torch into the room, but there's no indication that this would be the case.

3) Definitely the weakest image out of the 3 in my opinion. His arms look broken, specifically his right arm. That's a very uncomfortable position. He looks really top heavy and I don't think his tiny feet will give him the support he needs. I understand you are trying to exaggerate the anatomy (I'm doing something similar atm) but I think you need to go over the basics again before you can start doing that. Even exaggerated anatomy needs to have its foundations in the basics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the backgrounds, I would say to simply continue playing with the lighting, simply continue to make the lighting more... interesting. The the bright parts brighter and the dark parts more dim (but not inaccessible).

The first seems to have some perspective issues that impact the "dramaticism" of the chosen mouse-view. Simply put, that the background is used as a view point, it looks the background is shrinking, which would work well as a human but doesn't quite work from the perspective you've chosen.

I'd say to try putting the view-point behind the "screen" for pictures like the first. Make the closest big and far bits bigger - like it really is from the view of a mouse.

The second, I'd say to go back to that interesting lighting bit - for a "plainer" view like that one, adding in a few more light sources can add wonder to the pic.

The third, I can really understand why people think they're not as good as your other pictures. This one, while the concept is interesting, looks way to awkward as both an anatomical figure and as someone kicking back with a cold one.

I'd say to add what makes your other pictures great to this one. Add (a bit) of perspective to the pic, a few more light sources, and more flow - it doesn't have to be natural in the slightest, and I agree that it's more interesting when it isn't, but it should look it.

Still despite this, they're only minor points - it's a great thing that you've got going here, and you're really good at it. Always room for improvement, but hell, I wish you the best of luck,

Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, double-post.

Last edited by Lintire; February 24th, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Oops.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I'll focus on the light, highlights and light sources mainly - and then nurse the details. I'm really glad you've pointed out to me, that it looks sloppy, becaus that is the last thing anything should look like!!

In the 2nd picture - it is light from above, which is reflecting into the metal floor - well that is what I am trying to achieve
    I am concidering adding more elements into the picture - perhaps some light comming from the (unfinished) consol table beneath the window.

My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated,

I've added some more textures, it's the first time I'm using textures in photoshop, so some of it is a bit off, and I have to readjust some of the layers.

I've removed one of the color layers, added some yellow and yea. Trying to figure it all out.

I've also worked on the Kithen, I've nursed on some of the details, but the pictures haven't gone through enough make-over for it to be interesting enough to post here.

Last edited by Bering; March 7th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
    My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay! It is really going bad at the moment.

I've spend a lot of time on this, and it's still...Not satisfying at all.

I've been trying to add more value, and shadows, it just doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any help is welcome.

My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bering View Post
    I've been trying to add more value, and shadows, it just doesn't seem to do the trick.
    well it depends, what's the goal of the drawing? when you say it doesn't seem to do the trick, what do you mean?

on a side note, i dont think the textures are helping you right now, their taking attention and look rather obvious. spend some time putting in the values in a greyscale version before adding texture?

EDIT
    on a sidenote, if its "mood" your looking for, adding some colours and daps of blood always helps :p, see paintover.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that is really great! :o

Not in my wildest imagination I had believed this picture could turn out like such a horror scene!

I will reconcider making it into a horror scene - since nothing in my portfolio so far, is within that type of genre.

Thanks thanks thanks so much for the help! It has really given me a lot of new motivation and new eyes to continue working on this piece!

My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah the wonder of green light and blood, makes everything creepy.

and im glad to help =)

I think the drawing you have right now could be alot of things, it really depends what mood and elements you add to it.
    For drawing environments id recommend watching one of Feng's videos, where he's drawing a scene set up, he makes a lot of great points that im sure will help you with your envioments =)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxMA...eature=related

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the dynamic perspective and colors on the fridge piece. There are some minor mistakes like the lines of the milk jar on the floor not following perspective but I think the overall perspective and mood are working well. About the second piece, I think with the choice of lighting you've made the task of making the picture moody really difficult. In my opinion, mood comes for a big part from a dynamic lighting with contrast and interesting shadows. The type of lights you've painted combined with the reflective surfaces makes for a diffused and boring lighting. Maybe you could improve the mood by making a couple of those lights flickering or dark. Adding some machinery or whatever on the hall would also not only provide a center of interest but also give you a chance to play with shadows a bit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for the great feedback.

I am using you guys and girls critique for the last moment fixes. I have to deliver my application before noon on tuesday.

I'll perhaps even continue working on the Kitchen and the Spaceship enviroment afterwards.

Right now, my kitchen has getting its lightsources fixed, the details and some objects are standing out more, and the Spaceship enviroment has been attacked by aliens.

@Bette: It is a very nice link you've posted - Feng is one of my great inpirations, especialyl when it comes to industrial and mechanical designs.

My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.