Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice updates since I last visited here! Portraits are looking good,also dig the animal gestures!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks much! No I don't think I'm gonna do that weapon santa girl anymore, not at least now.
    Though I think that "weapon"-thingie was actually some kind of an mask on the ref photo, but It would be pretty cool as a weapon Santa girl
    I'm guessing these quickish studies are going to have some proportion issues for a long time still, until I get the hold of things, haha. But they are really good practise for proportions, values and gestures!

Myllys: Hi there and thanks for stopping by!
    Glad you liked my sb so far. Those studies were about 20-30 mins, I think.
    And yes I shall definitely try to keep doing more of these self-portraits!

Harmageddon: Noooo I'm out of wine!
    Had to come back and start drawing again. Dammit!
    Thanks for your support

dierat: Thanks very much! Yeah you are right I should definitely try to understand more the structures of the faces on these photostudies.
    And keep doing both photostudies and self-portraits. Thanks for the encouragement!

Gibi: Thanks, glad you liked them!
    Kind of got the inspiration to those gestures from you, haha.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been just doing some anatomy studies. Annd just playing something.. erm. ehe.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy mostly (with a little hint of what I'm playing now, lol). Also pic of the painting I'm still working on, sigh. Should really find the time to finish it but I just haven't found inspiration. Still much to do with it though.
    Oh yeah and I also want to show you this cool weapon set that my husband got on New Year's Eve when we were casting tin.
    He says there's sword, off-hand weapon and some throwing knifes. Allthough in my opinion the sword is too big to be one-handed, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy and couple of movie still studies. I found this beautiful movie still of this girl (can't remember her name now) fom GoT with beautiful lights, but I just totally ruined it.
    But at least now I see the faults in it.

I feel like everything I've done these past few days have just become total crap. It feels still so hard to find the right values and get the structures and measurements right.
    And I don't want to learn just to copy some photos, I want to learn to understand them, analyse them and apply the things what I've learned, but I just don't know how to do it.

Well at least this combination of doing some anatomy "theory" studies and after that some photo studies feels like a good combo.
    And at least I've managed to draw little bit of something every day this year so I guess it's not that bad of a start for a year. But I should draw more from life, I know!! Then why don't I do that???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The character's name is Arya! I don't think that study is too bad; the difference between the two is pretty subtle I think. The biggest difference I see right away is the placement of the eye, which is too far back.

I think you're on the right track by studying structure and value. I honestly wonder if the problem is that you're just being a bit too hard on yourself right now. Going from drawing from observation to drawing from imagination is a difficult jump to transverse and it takes time. One thing I would like to suggest, and I touched on this in my last comment, is that working from references in a constructive way could be a way forward for you. Right now it looks like you focus on copying values when working from photos, and you focus on construction when working from Hampton and from imagination. Try working from observation from photos and live models, but rather than copying what you see, try to deconstruct the figure using Hampton's method and really understand how to construct the pose using simple 3-dimensional shapes. Then work your values and details on top of the structure based on observation. That should help you bridge the gap in your imaginative work where you're starting with boxes but not really sure how to take it to the next stage and make it appear to made of flesh. (And if you really want to test your memory, do a study from reference, then put the reference and your drawing away and do it all again from memory.) Just my 2 cents of course ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat: Haha yeah, Arya exactly, thanks.
    I know I have tendency of being way too self-critical and way too hard on myself. But not all the times, phew.
    I just have these phases of depression towards my skills and works, but I hear everyone has those sometimes. Just need to push through them.

And you are absolutely right about working the constructive way. I just sometimes feel so rushed to get to the values phace, because I really like that lol.
    Then I end up rushing the construction and measurement phase and well, we know what happens then, haha. But yeah, thanks again for your useful crits! I'm glad to have you stopping by

Soo I got my first moleskine-sketchbook ever and I like it really much. It's pocket-sized so its veery small and easy to carry around. Was thinking of ordering a little bit bigger version also though.

So here's just some stuff from imagination. I also tried my new tinted charcoal pens on the sketchbook but I think it wasn't really a good idea. Maybe a bit too messy medium for a pocket-sized book that you will be browsing through many many times to come. Also some skull life-studies and figure studies from photo.

I realized that I need to draw much much more gestures and humans! And draw more from imagination. If I still have imagination. And draw more anything, for that matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some figure studies. The men figures are from life model. They have some terrible proportion issues, but I'm posting them here anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some random birdies from photo ref, because I was actually thinking of sketching something to creature of the week challenge.
    But just sketching and not actually partisipating yet. Don't know if I have time though, but doing some COW and CHOW challenges might be fun addition to studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    girl i thought u said u were slacking off with the oil painting but u gone completely digital .. im back after 7 months longggggg break from art world.. but what an amazing stuff u have been doing through all this time.. no oil sadly.. where are ur oil painting girl ?

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I sooo totally can relate to what you wrote in #215 and #217... Those thoughts are mine as well. I don't want to copy either, that's not mine, not the real thing... And we need to draw so much more and different things I need to break through...

Lovely moleskin birdies.

Pay more attention to the eyes in your portraits. They need extremely much... or is it just me? I don't think so. But eyes, just like hands, are highly important so it can't be helped.

My writing style isn't good right now but I wished to comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey goblin, where's your updates at?

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew got lost there for a while but found my way back here.

Rain: Thanks man, it's awesome to have you back!
    Well I think that the main reason I haven't been doing oils is because drawing and doing digitals is so much faster and I have pretty little time to draw nowadays.
    But I'll try to keep doing some oils too every now and then!

shiNIN: I'm always glad for you comments no need to worry about your writing style
    Thanks, I agree that I really need to pay more attention to eyes!

Harmageddon: Haha, don't know was hopping around the forest happily with other goblins singing erm..
    goblin songs and dancing lika a madgoblin until I realized I have to get back to reality I guess Thanks for the encouragement!

Just some random stuff to get started again. Figure studies are from life poses. The bigger oil painting is still unfinished, sigh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I started this 30-day drawing challenge, cause I figured I need something fun to get me back to drawing again.
    You can see more from the challenge in my blog. First day's topic was self-portrait, so here we go.
    You can see the ref photo in here so you can give me some critique if you wish.. Would be much appreciated anyways, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked at the original. Cute photo, closed from somewhat close and turned out nice I think. Your painting has a bit different perspective, the nose and the left (our right) eye and even the mouth changed position a lil bit. The shoulders are way lower than in the reference. I doubt saying this will help much but I don't know what should I say.
    Lovely scarf folds, by the way, I'd totally paint them but I love folds a lot
    I forgot the most important issue, the ear looks... unattached.
    I like your strokes and resemblance wise it's great, I respect you for that, I always find that part very hard.
    Lucky you, I could start to do self portraits easier if I had such a cute face

Good luck for the challenge! So we will see a lot of interesting updates from you in the next month? Cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thank you, my friend, for your nice words!
    Yeah I know how do I even manage to make all of my portraits little bit in wrong perspective?
    I like folds too, but it was already late and didn't want to spend any more time with it. Well it wasn't that late but need to go early to sleep because of work. The ears look propably unattached because I've removed them during the process lol. Somehow I feel like I'm cheating because I'm often removing the ears, or the nose, or the eyes in the process.
    Should learn to make the measurements and structure well beforehand so I woudn't have to "cheat". Yes I guess you'll be seeing at least some kind of updates from me for the next month. Not sure if they're gonna be that interesting, but hey updates nonetheless!

So here's contribution for day 2: What I wore today.
    Well didn't actually wear a paper bag today allthough I feel like I could had! Hmm I actually quite often feel that. Anyways didn't feel like drawing my face again today. Also damn it's hard to make clothes, especially leather and jeans. But just bought new leather jacket and wanted to show you that (yes it's supposed to be leather anyways). Very many issues with this as well like the fact that I scribbled little bit of background too and forgot some shadows so that the figure looks like it's floating or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I really like your sketchbook ;] I would only suggest you to apply your studies into imaginary stuff. That way you improve a lot faster. Keep pushing Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ramalooke: Hi there! Glad you like it. Gnaarh I know I should do imaginative work more but I just hate the feeling of failure I get when I do something from imagination
    But point taken! And guess you'll be glad to hear that tomorrow's topic will actually be from imagination.

So day three: clouds. Painted with some random ref images found in google.
    Made some new brushes for these.
    Didn't really find an ideal brush to make clouds and their rough but soft (? don't know the word I'm looking for here) edges.
    Oh and I'm still looking for the skills to make the clouds also so if you have some to sell, let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clouds are wonderful, I don't know why I don't draw them much more often But it's true for every favourite topics of mine.
    I found you don't need too fancy brushes for clouds, for most of the time. But they should be roundish, maybe a little random, without sharp edges, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh I can't explain it and there are probably zillion way to paint clothes and I barely did that a few times. But that rectangular edged brush doesn't really cloud like.
    The colors are nice in the first pic and the general shapes are totally cloud like and even interesting, you chose nice refs I guess.

Last edited by shiNIN; March 28th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Failure is natural part of learning, keep that in mind Nice clouds btw. ;3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks! Clouds are beautiful, agreed! I kind of know what you mean and what I mean with the brush I am looking for but just haven't managed to create it yet.

Ramalooke: I know I tryyyy! Onwards to the beautiful failure! And thanks!

So day 4: Something green. This time purely from imagination and failed a big time lol. It's stiff and dull. It's just a sketch but don't have time to do it further, though not even sure if I could? I don't like the green staff thing its holding but don't have time to change it anymore. I also know nothing about color and lights yet so be gentle. Also it's mostly grey, meh -__-

Oh and will be having couple of days break since I'm going to spa with my friends this weekend. So will be back on sunday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 5: From a high angle. Lame-ass photo study again.
    It's from my work actually. It's not really from that high angle but well.. Had still very huge problems with the perspective, as you can see. Also it's so messyyy, blah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad Probably you get the colors right because it has some realistic feel even being sketchy. So I guess it's the colors. The thing on the window (I totally forgot how it's called in English) is very vague, I think high opacity brush would have been better. I like your strokes, mostly, the back of the chair is uncertain, I can't interpret it.
    {You're a hero, I never could make myself to draw such boring objects. Well I rarely draw unorganic stuff, and it must be shiny }

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Satu well done on taking oyo this 30 day challenge, you are doing really well. I can see good progress with this last self portrait and I like the way you've painted your leather jacket. I think the words you are looking for when talking about the edges of your clouds are hard and soft. Great stuff, keep it up and all your dreams of trolls and wizards will come to true!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Haha thanks I've always wanted to be someone's hero Though I was hoping it would have meant me having some kind of super-powers, but hero sounds good nevertheless. The chair has this black shawl on it and I got lazy with it so that's why it propably is hard to interpret. I also got lazy with the window. I'm such a lazy-ass.

Marian: Thanks for your kind words! I really hope that my dreams will some day come true.

Here's day 6: From a low angle. It's not really from that low, aargh I'm clearly having difficulties in understanding my assignments, forgive me. It's still-life and it's a little bit unfinished since I ran out of daylight. Oh and I actually have this weird feeling that I might be getting a levelup. I mean, it propably doesn't show or anything but I feel like I am little by little starting to draw what I actually see, instead of drawing what I think is there.. If you know what I mean..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 7: Fruit.
    It started out as a still-life but then I continued it from photo as the sun started to set. Tried to make it as realistic as possible but I'm not happy with the results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 8: A bad habit.
    It's supposed to present my shopping addiction.. to art stuff!
    It's not supposed to look like me physically (cause didn't feel like drawing me), but just methaphorically, or something. Anyways I just love to buy new art stuff, though I don't know if it's a bad habit. The dragon is supposed to present some kind of demon who makes me buy these stuff or something like that -_-
    The legs are from ref, since I didn't know how to make them. Rest is from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. I really like your oilpaintings and studies! There's real improvement here. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, very productive, you are!
    Good stuff. I'm feeling that you're learning a lot recently.
    Seems you get looser in your lines (good!, speaks of more confidence) and better in overall shapes and colors. Quicker also, I would say.
    Good stuff, keep it up!

PS I might steal your idea of 30 day challenge. I thinks it works

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the productivity Satupeikko, your doing great! Your on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 166