Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoho.. nice, lots of practice here it seems.. i'd suggest first feel comfortable with black n white pieces before jumping on color, seems like you are getting there though.. i love the quick ps studies.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This one is darling. Great job.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good on you for standing on that accelerator. If you're looking for figure-drawing practice that won't bore you silly, I like this: http://www.artsyposes.com/models

You can select nude under advanced filters, or keep the pirates and ninjas. I think either is good.

Sketchbook - Deviantart
    - Dodgy Website
    Critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rem92: Hey there and thanks for stopping by! I have actually been concentrating on b&w studies before jumping to color studies and been thinking of doing that for some time still. I do now and then color thingies too, not for the sake of studying, but because I like doing them and that way I don't loose interest in what I'm doing. And of course I do colored paintings and cards for my family and friends with the skills I have now, because they will still make them happy even though I think that there is lot to improve

p sage: Thank you, sir! You are darling for saying that

Springly: Thanks for stopping by and thanks for that cool link! I think I have heard of that place but never visited there, who knows why (?). Cool poses, gotta try them out! Especially the pirates and ninjas.

Gaah no excuses for the lack of updates! Just simple lazyness. (And erm.. Skyrim, I know I'm so embarrassed, should pull myself together someday soon). Soo card for my father (photo ref used) and quickish cast study.

Attached Images Attached Images    

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speedstuuuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I had this awesome idea to try do these movie speedpaintings with watercolors. Yeah, it was pretty difficult. But fun though, even if it didn't really turn out the way I was hoping. Really challenging to think of the light areas beforehand and try not to mess them up. Also been doing some studies from Maughan's book "..Drawing the head". I also did couple of still-lifes but they turned out to be so terrible that I'm not posting them here, lol. Should do some more tomorrow though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some photostudies and life study. Nothing much I'm afraid :/ I've been also doing these watercolor christmas cards. Salt truly gives really beautiful effect to watercolors!

Still kind of trying to find the balance between drawing and everything else I love doing. I mean I still love drawing but there are so many other things I love doing also, like baking, gardening in the summer, doing some crafts and of course on the daytimes I go to work (which I dont love that much but that is something I have to do lol). And I also dream of having a family in perhaps close future. Here in the forums people are just pushing and pushing each other to just draw draw draw all the times (which is good of course!) but I feel like I want to do so many other things too! Or else I feel all the other good things in life are slipping away. I still dream of maybe some day doing art for living but now I just want to practise it at least a little every day and do some other things too. I don't know if I should have certaing goals about what exactly I am hoping to do with art in the future (or if I'm practising hard enough to ever be able to do it?), but for now I just know I wan't to get better at it and that's why I keep pushing the studies. Yeah but anyways I don't know what I'm rambling here, I hope I'll find some balance to things some day, lol.

I try to keep updating this still as often as possible of course. And awesomeness that the Christmas is coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Codybunt: Thanks a bunch!

So after the emotional mumblings I wrote here thursday it's time to get back to business! I'm so confusing, I know. -_-

Watched Cowboys and Aliens yesterday and inspired to do some crappy speedystuff from it. Just loved the scenes in the movie and of course the cowboys Oh and Daniel Craig is just soo charismatic. Luuuv, anyways.. Also adding a photostudy. The ref photo is again from portraig-photos.org, here. Still struggling to get my paintings to look like the model pics, sigh. If you have some ideas on what issues I should pay attention to most when trying to achieve the look-alike of the model, I would appreciate to hear it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cow batman! You have been practising and it's showing. These latest studies look great. I especially like the last C&A study. It looks rough but there's clearly thought behind it. It's exactly that sort of roughness I'm trying to incorporate to my style and strugling with it. It's great that you don't use pure white in your digital studies. Try to use pure black sparingly as well, since it implies total lack of light and such places are rather rare actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Really inspiring sketchbook you got here! Crazy amount of work!I know it's not from your most recent stuff but I like the way you made notes in post 134. Is this written like that in a book or did you write it?
    also you remind me I should be doing more movie stills, so I better be moving on now, bye bye! I'll check out your other pages when my hand hurts again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really don't know about time management, all I do to try drawing and I usually do nothing... I think I should do different things to have more time and mood for drawing, at least I worked that way when I was a child: if I put more stuff into my life, I got more time somehow. Balance is very important, my example shows that if one focus on a single thing (that's something hard for the lazy person in question), it can become a blocked life where time just flies. Especially if one does art, experiencing different things is very important. If I ride my bike or just take a walk, I get inspiration too, I never get bored with Nature (having a 3 weeks' fog doesn't count).
    But learning to draw takes a lot of time, I really don't know how others do it

Nice Maughan studies, now apply them ;P That's the hard part, I tried it a few times, I really need to do it again...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ville_S: Thank you my friend!

Gibi: Well thank you, glad you think that! The notes in those are from the book. I sometimes do some notes, from the book or from my head because it feels like it helps me learning things and actually thinking and memorizing them better.

shiNIN: Yeah I hear you. I feel like I have these periods when I draw like a madman and neglect everything else, but just love doing it. Then if I have couple of days break when I can't draw, it is just so bloody hard to start drawing again and I just feel like I don't want to draw at all. Then I do many other neat stuff but drawing. Then again I force myself to draw something and again I start drawing like a madman and not doing anything else. But well like said, maybe the balance will be found some day. Thanks for stopping by and yeah I know I should apply the studies mooore.

Here's some 1min gestures, some longer figure drawings, and one jester made from head. Tried to make it look like a mad jester with a lunatique look on his face, but then I realised that I can't draw expressions and it became very dull. And the values suck, blaah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeeii I finished my Christmas cards! Here is a photo of em just for the sake of updating something, because I'm wicked and evil. No just kidding (not on the wicked and evil part though, mwahhahhaa), I have something else to show too. So this is me not giving up on the jesters! This time they are from ref though, from music video of Finnish band Nightwish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g8ykQLYnX0
    Also some gestures. I feel like the stuff I do from refs are more loose and somehow relaxed than the things I try doing from imagination. I wish I could do them more loosely too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someh animal gestures for a change because I want to learn to draw some wicked creatures based on them. And because I tried doing one today for the daily sketch group and it got me totally depressed as it sucked so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there girl and friend!
    You're working hard as well, I'm happy to see that.

I read you struggle also with the fact that drawing is fun, but there are so many other things in life as well that crave attention! I know, I feel the same sometimes. Other hobbies, friends, sports, family, an occasional game... it all takes time. And rightly so! Life is not just about drawing, it's about life itself.

And with all its love, and joy, and sadness and whatnot. Currently, the world is being f*cked by bankers and governments and people lose faith in politics, in big business and the banking system. Rightly so, btw. It will probably take a revolution to set things on the right track again. But I'm straying....

Drawing, the process of creation, of visualizing dreams and nightmares, futures and distant pasts, emotions and the lack thereof, is not only an amazing tool in the right hands, but can also be relaxing and engaging at the same time. And.. I should stop typing

Anyway, love the looseness in your latest jokers and lovely christmas cards you've made. Spread the love. Good luck with fantasy animals; you're on the right track: it's just combining different animal parts, with sometimes human characteristics, that makes them work.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon: Well said. Let's just enjoy the life every day and not worry too much about the future. And thank you!

Here's just some gestures again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blah just couple of terrible speedies from movie trailer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some screenshot studies, about 20-40 mins each. Been doing value studies mostly from colored refs, but tried to do them from b&w refs for a change if it would help me understand values better. Also trying to achieve the likeness of the model.. Not working so well so far though..

Also fairly quick life study of skull.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did photostudy of this plaster cast photo I found internet (since I don't have real-life cast -yet).

Oh, annd since I don't probably have time to update my sb anymore before christmas, I want to wish you all darlings happy Christmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Merry Christmas to you to Satu. Plaster cast painting looks good and I really love what you did for your Christmas cards. Great stuff, keep it up.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for you support Marian, much appreciated!

Hope you all had lovely Christmas!
    So first of all my little bro got me this awesome black box drawing set I wanna show you. Here's also couple of life studies I did using them and one movie trailer study with Photoshop, about 20-30min. It's from da Hobbit! I can't wait to see it, I really loved the book when I read it some years back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally decided its time to get past my shyness and start posting my self-portraits here. This is my first attempt at digital self-portrait and first done in ages for that matter. It's done with the mirror and it took about 2-3 hours. I think it looks like me at least a bit, but there is something odd with it still. Might start doing these more often now, since it's propably way better practise than photo studies. Also adding some random quick photo studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rock and roll! happy new year stars *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Dark_Eyes, I'm honored to get your stars! And I hereby promise you that I shall some day be worthy of you stars.

Here's just some quickly screencap studies from the Hobbit trailer again.
    Ungh, I really should study anatomy. Well, maybe later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing special (surprise, surprise). Just some photo studies. I really should start doing more traditional studies again, since my eyes are really starting to get very tired because of staring at the computer at work and at home. Thank god next week is holiday for me yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year to everyone! I think it's almost time to open the first sparkling wine bottle and start drinkin like no tomorrow! All hail the wine!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It seems I didn't comment last time, I remember your stuff though.
    Your self portrait looks quite good except that the face got almost all the attetion, the hair and neck area could use just a wee bit more to be more balanced. I guess the neck is slightly too much to the left and I have other very tiny doubts but I don't trust my judgement enough to write them.
    The smaller girls in #206 are nice, especially the left scantily clad santa girl with some weapon one Don't you wanna work on it more?
    The big one has some proportion issues and its flow is weaker too. Her head is tiny, sitting on a tube-ish neck, the gesture is stiff and boring.
    I like the torso of the new one, the legs are very rushed to see her gesture there.

Last edited by shiNIN; December 31st, 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Satu

Thanks for commenting my sb. Cool sketch book you have here. I like these last photo studies. How quick are they? Keep doing more self portraits!

My sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...75944&page=999
    (some nudity may occur)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mega goblin girl, keep at it !
    Drawing I mean, in between binge drinking wine sessions
    Nice self portrait btw.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 777 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Love the animal studies in post #195, and the Christmas cards look awesome. The self-portrait in post #203 is great, though it could handle a much wider range of values, especially lighter values to push the contrast a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satupeikko View Post
    Might start doing these more often now, since it's propably way better practise than photo studies.
    Yes and no. Self-portraits are better in the sense that you can work from life and really push the sense of depth and texture, but the limitation is that, obviously, you only have one face to work from. It's probably best to have a balance of both so you can practice on a variety of different facial types. For your portrait studies from films, I think one issue right now is that you're focusing more on blocking in values than on developing an understanding of the structure of the face. I think if you focus more on the structure and volume of the portraits, that will help you more later on. Keep up the good work!

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 147