Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Satu thanks for your lovely comment in my sketchbook. I've really enjoyed looking through yours and I can see that you are really progressing well despite being so hard on yourself. I see we share a love for buying art books although I haven't been able to get my hands on a Loomis here in the UK. No crits really just encouragement to keep up the good work.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the grayscale girl portraits are looking fiiine. even though the likeness isn't bang on, the form and values read well keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing great. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian: Thanks very much for you kind words and encouragement! Glad you enjoyed looking through my sb and it is always nice to hear that there is some improvement Yeah I'm still fighting to get some distance to my overflowing self-criticism. Maybe time and this forum will eventually diminish it, hehe. You could order the Loomis from Amazon? I usually order all my artsy books from online since I live in a small town where the book stores have very narrow selection.

henri: Wii thanks again! Hoping (and keeping my fingers crossed) the likeness will come eventually in time

k2mountain: Thanks, glad you think so. I will!

So stuff from magazines and skeleton stuff. Tried the sceleton practise on this video that Ismo linked here and it was pretty fun! But haaard. I think I'll do these more since it felt like a good figure practise thingie. Well I'm off to listen more Tori Amos and to draw some life studies.

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! I feel like I'm following your footsteps :> Since I'm studying anatomy and drawing portraits as well. Oh, and your still lives are so nice :> Subscribed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Satu for the Amazon link I did a bit of looking and they are now available on Amazon.co.uk which saves me paying a lot of shipping fees, I have added them to my wish list already!

Good update by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JulyZerg: Thanks very much! And welcome aboard! Hope yall enjoy your journey as much as I've enjoyed mine so far!

Marian: No problem! And thanks!

Well here's second take on the skeletal practise. Hmm so I have this feeling that this could be easier after I've learned more muscles. Oh and these ref images are from characterdesigns.com. Also some shtuff from ref.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. Thank you for visiting my book.

It looks like you have the patience and dedication to work on your craft, with all the bones studies. The path to improvement is there for you; just remember patience and try to avoid the video games If you remember how much you like drawing, and just draw for fun once in a while, it will give you a chance to get away from the games and do some work. Good luck.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage: Heyy, thanks for stopping by! And thanks for your kind words I will try to avoid games as much as possible, haha.

So here's one life study of my monster mug which is usually hidden in the darkest depths of our kitchen closet and kept as a battery storage because SOMEONE in our household doesn't apparently like it. (Like who on earth wouldn't like a monster mug, like it's insane, don't you think?!) Also some random doodle. I should definitely do these more, its fun. I've been just somewhat scared to post my doodles here, don't know why really..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those bone studies look really good, Satu. Good job with the overlays too. Haven't got to doing these myself yet. Thought I'd try to memorize the bone structure better first. Have always slacked with that. I'm currently taking on Perard, Szunyoghy and Barcsay books. Perard was totally new to me. The book has mainly simple line drawings, but because of that it's also very easy to take on. It's actually available online here.

And do post more doodles too.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've been a busy little bee, haven't you?
    Glad to see you have been drawing!

It looks like your portraits are getting much better
    The progress from sept 27th, post #149 to oct 3rd, post #157 is obvious.

I did also notice your lines in your bone/skeleton drawings are stiffer than the ones in the portraits. Try and keep loose lines in those studies as well - it helps you understand the shapes better and gives the drawings much more power.
    Keep up the good work!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ismo: Thanks for stopping by again! Glad you like the bone studies. And cool new book, thanks for the link. Me likes! Feel free to link me more cool videos and books if you find something new and awesome haha

Harmageddon: Yes I've been kind of busy indeed, hehe. Thanks! Glad you see some progress. And thanks for the tip! I will try to focus more on the lines on skeleton drawings as well.

Here's still-life, and the feet study process pic, as well as some studies from the "Figure Drawing Design and Invention" by Michael Hampton that I got on friday. I've just started reading it but I can already tell that the book is awesomeness! Thanks to dierat for pointing it out to me! Oh and sorry about rather bad pic quality.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Niiice studies You already have some idea about the human body, your figures from imagination are kinda nice too, they show the gesture and your linework isn't bad. {I'm sorry it's very late and my words are so clumsy.}
    Proportions are okayish, there's room for improvement at anatomy, no wonder, it's a quite long jorney for everyone, oh and sometimes I feel too little 3d in the figures and especially in the skeletons-above-photos. I'm very unpleased with the pelvis in them (I don't know about you but the pelvis is a very tricky part for me, I put way too much effort into it compared how bad I am at drawing it. very 3 dimensional, tilted, its shape is different from every angle and every person... but it's very important so we must win in this heroic battle), it's too flat and I don't think it's in the right position. And the guy is turned away from us a bit, no way his pelvis would be in front view... I try to do such things sometimes, it's not easy at all even when you're familiar with bones and muscles But at least fun, usually I have a strong feeling most beginner should do such things, I've seen zillion paintings in Critique Center where some thought about the underlying structure would help, no matter how much a beginner was the one in question. A simplified skeleton or a stick figure is harder to totally mess up.
    I liked your traditional enviros, I hope you will do some in the future too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by, shiNIN, and thanks for the great crits! I agree the pelvis is really tricky for me too! I still find really hard to draw it from different angles. The other really tricky part in skeleton is the scapula and clavicle and drawing them in movement. Like how they move when you raise your hands. I should definitely practise them more! I should also do some 3d practises, like trying to understand objects more in 3-dimensional. Glad to hear you liked my enviros, I will definitely be doing those more. Though maybe more again next summer, I'm not really comfortable with the idea of going outside to paint on a cold winter. Though might be doing some photostudies too, who knows

Well I was visiting my parents past weekend and did this life study of my.. erm.. favorite pony that I had when I was a child It is unfinished though because didn't have time to finish it. Also started to do these sphere gestures that I saw on p sages sketchbook. It looked pretty fun and I thought It might help me to look things more in 3d and also improve my accuracy etc. so wanted to give it a try. It was fun but pretty hard. And I made them like really slow and they still suck. But I think I'll be doing them more. Also did this photostudy. Ref photo is from portraitphotos.org. The eyes are all wrong in it, but just didn't want to keep doing it.. I think I should learn to do these quicker studies from a face also where I try to focus on finding the right values and not concentrating on details. This wasn't one of those as this took pretty long :/

Last edited by Satu; October 10th, 2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Images missing

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool! You're doing sphere gestures

Those should help you loosen up, but what they really do is sharpen your ability to draw better ellipses, and ellipses are used to construct everything in the figure (the torso, the ends of the cylindrical limbs, etc).

Keep looking for more and more answers, and try lots of things. The way you're going is good.

And hey hey... this latest portrait is pretty good. Nice work

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    {I'm sorry I got carried away I will try hard not to do this next time.}

Quote Originally Posted by Satupeikko View Post
    The other really tricky part in skeleton is the scapula and clavicle and drawing them in movement.
    Yeah, those too...

Yep, I think some photostudies would be nice. It would be a pity to paint nice weather enviros only... Foggy mornings and snowy lands are great, I'm sure I will make a lot of photos here in my new home, on the top of a hill, I enjoy the sunset and the clouds almost every day Nature and the sky is so inspiring! And one can forget about pelvises and other tricky things and play with colorful fluffy clouds...

Oh, I remember those ponies. I hated them with all the passion left after hating Barbie dolls... (sorry) I preferred teddies and red cars. I had some dolls but even cutting them was boring... I guess I lacked something girls typically have.

The portrait isn't bad (I wonder if she had such long distance between nose and mouth, who knows) but the sharp features and blurry everything else doesn't work for me. Just because those should be nicely blended, using a soft brush usually isn't good, a realistic human face can't stand such cheap tricks... I experienced soft brushes always looks bad (I mean when they are used alone, not as a soft final touch), at least when one tries to be quick with it and isn't highly skilled. I have no idea what a pro can do even with a soft brush but I don't think they like using that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sage: Hey cool you stopped by again! Yeah I've been kind of bad on ellipses and spheres and I've been thinking that I should practise them more when I stumbled on your fun and useful looking practise so decided to give it a try. I like lurking on other people's sketchbooks and finding a new ways to study and try. Good to know that I'm going the right way. Sometimes I just feel so confused about all the things I know I should learn, and trying to think what I should study and in what order.

shiNIN: Hey cool you sopped by again too! What are you talking about, there's nothing wrong in getting carried away! I often get carried away myself too and write here all this chitter-chatter nonsense. Oh yes I love foggy mornings and snowy lands. Nature truly is inspiring. Your home sounds to be on such a awesome spot, must be great! Oh I loved the ponies hehe. What a great adventures we had, lol! And
    I had some dolls but even cutting them was boring...
    you really scare us right now,lol. I'm not bringing my ponies close to you And about the portrait, I hadn't really thought about the features being sharp and everything else blurry but now I see what you mean and you are right. I'm not really that experienced with Photoshop brushes yet. I just found this cool brush and been just messing around with it. Should definitely try more different kinds of brushes but I have so many things to learn that sometimes I just don't know how to find time to everything.

Well here's again some photostudy. Ref photo is again from the same place. It's pretty bad. I was supposed to make it really quick with just focusing on values and ignoring the details on facial features but I'm just so sucky on that. Gotta practise more.. Also 50min life study and some studies from Hampton's book. Won't be propably able to draw much this weekend because I'm going to this wedding, but I'll try to be back to serious business on monday!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yaaay, Hampton studies! :3 I don't really have any crits, sorry; everything's looking pretty good to me and you seem to be putting your time into the right areas. Just keep it at!

Oh but I do have one suggestion, and that is to pick up Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Peck if you don't have it already. I know you're in the very beginning of Hampton's book, but later on when he gets to specific areas, it's sometimes kind of hard to figure out exactly what his forms would look like on an actual human figure because his shape's are sooo simplified. And lately I've found that by working from Hampton and Peck together (with both books open to the same area of the body), it's much much easier to understand the anatomy that Hampton is trying to explain to you.

Here's a quick photo of the two together to illustrate what I mean.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thaanks again Dierat! And thanks for the cool book tip. I think I might try going with these books that I have now though, because I have them a lot But will be checking that If necessary, thanks!

Damn so much time since the last update. But the wedding was awesome and my neck/shoulder is killing me. There's the summary of what I've been up to.

Here's photostudy again (with the other eye looking weird and other side too flat). And you can propably guess where the ref image is from. Also life study of figure, about 50min. I've also been doing some Hampton studies but not gonna put them here because I don't have tiiime!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew gotta get back to updating every other day, since I seem to start slacking when updating more seldom. Why is it that when you keep like couple of days break in drawing it seems harder to get back to studying?

Anyways, some stuff, magazine stuff, 40-60 sec gestures and one rather quick photostudy mainly to focus on values.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some faces from magazines. Tried to capture the overall feeling, lights and shadows in them as quickly as possible, not going to any details. Then wanted to try the same thing with Photoshop but reffed them from screencaps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome studies!!!! They look so quick and gestural but have a lot of knowledge and confidence in them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pamz1e, thanks very much! I really liked doing them also.
    Here's some more quickies from screencaps and also one life study of my shoe, yey!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the Loomis and Hampton studies you're doing are great. Love the pirate stuff, too. Just remember to work hard and embrace the fails as much as the successes.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sage: Thanks, glad you like them! Embracing fails as much as successes really is hard. But I know that I should try to learn something from each fail and not be scared to post the failures here too. Also the working hard part has started to slip away from me lately, I'm becoming a slacker, damn! Trying to pull myself together.. really soon I promise!

So this is me studying muscles. It's going all well as you can see. Why do I always find something more neat to draw when I should study anatomy? So some more screencap stuff, and some terrible doodle from head, that I made while watching my husband play Batman Arkhan City. It has some terrible issues since I "forgot" to make the basic gesture and construction well before hasting to clothes and details. Well, better planning next time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much I'm afraid. Another screenie and some muscles (finally!). I feel like I'm actually learning more from these quicker movie studies than those longer photostudies. Doing these feels relaxing but at the same time it feels like I'm actually thinking and analyzing more when doing these. I don't know if this makes any sense. Maybe it's because I try to make them as quickly as possible so I don't have time to stop thinking some other stuff, like ponies and butterflies, while doing them. Sigh, should do some more pencil life studies really badly, since I really want to become Barney Stinson-like awesome with them one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent studies! Your speed paintings are wonderful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot MythrilWolf!

One screenie and life study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Satu I can really see the progress you've been making with your portraits. They are looking good. Well done for all the anatomy studies you've done as well. I think your life drawings really show a solid form and weight which is good, I am big fan of life drawing.

Finally in answer to your question whether you should carry on with your quick screen captures, I think so yes. If you feel you are learning and you like doing them it's all good and you will learn a lot about values. As to should you be drawing from life with pencils, also yes if you can. I try to do 30 mins everyday of anything but if you can't don't beat yourself up about it as that never helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Marian! Glad if there has been some improvement

Phew been having these weird neck/shoulder aches for like almost four weeks now and it really sucks. Been drawing pretty little now since I'm just trying to get myself well again and I do have this tendency to draw in weird positions that don't do that good to back. Also I sit next to computer all day at work so been trying to not be that much at computer at home. At least for a while. I start to draw more again after I feel little bit better.

But here's one watercolor painting I did from photo ref. It's a birthday card for my grandma who turns 97 years tomorrow. Also I started doing this oil painting to my friend. It is from her self-taken photo ref. From Berlin. It's pretty messy still.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 165