Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Satu - Thanks for visiting my sketchbook, I very much appreciate your feedback.

Nice sketchbook - I like all the figure drawing, it's very difficult to do, keep it up! You have some really nice things in here - I liked the oil paintings especially. If you can paint well in oil, digital should be way easier. Looking forward to what's next for you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wholewheat_keyboard: Thanks very much!

Oh for the love of holy monkeys, I feel so bad for being away for so long and even worse because only posting you this one crappy still life (which has perspective issues) instead of many crappy works. Shame on me! But I had a good reason not to draw since I was at Provinssirock listening to many good bands including System of a Down which was awesomeee! So just wanted to enjoy the company of my closest ones instead of drawing Allthough now it feels super difficult to get back to drawing again, damn.

Well here is also the oil painting, I'm kind of stuck with it and don't know what to do with it I should work on some details but I'm just not so good with them and I just don't seem to have a brush small enough.. Should also get it finished soon.

I've been also doing some gestures and perspective studies but don't feel like posting them here..

Edit: am I the only one always having troubles with these attachments??

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Satu; June 22nd, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Images missing AGAIN, sigh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still-life speedy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yey, I drew some eggses. From life.
    Also did some gesture studies/action studies from a movie screenshots.
    Been also practising perspective by drawing cube 100 times. ..I think I need to do it at least 100 times still, lol.

Also adding couple of photos from the finished painting.

Last edited by Satu; June 26th, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Photos missing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again some gesture/action studies from a movie. Annd I did this Hugo Boss-bottle. Or whatever it is in english (?). Hmm I think I should really do more of these still lives, lol. And practise even more more more perspective.

Also did one watercolor study from outside but it turned out to be so crappy that I'll be posting you some better versions soon hopefully. Now that I've been thinking of starting to do some outdoor studies of sunlight and skylight..

Also sorry about the bluish color on these drawings, still don't have that scanner..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook Damn i wasn't holding real brush like forever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, Zolerit! I recommend doing "real-life" paintings now and a then since they are really fun and great change to painting in computer I also like the possibility to go outside on beautiful sunny day, sit on a grass and paint the beautiful scenery.

Well heres some anatomyy. Hoping to be able to update again tomorrow or friday. I'll be going on our summer cottage for weekend so hoping to bring you back some scenery paintings next week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAYMN! working hard I see! Those gesture/Action studies look great. Gotta try that myself sometime. And the house painting is coming along nicely to.

Satupeikko FTW. Great job keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool updates, the glass on the hugo boss bottle looks great. Try shading with the side of your pencil - your gestures are good, but I feel that the shadowing really hurts them because its so haphazard. If you can't use the side of your pencil then take the time to shade more finely. I actually keep one sharp pencil and one dull pencil for easier shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ville: Haha thanks! I'll try to keep it up and keep working hard! Allthough it doesn't feel that much of a hard work anymore. Mostly just fun

carakhan: Thanks for you comment again! And thanks for the tip, I'll try that! I often haste too much when working with pencils and my pencil gets weirdly possessed even though it has no idea what it is doing. I'll try to focus more on shadings!

Well here are some studies from life made this weekend. Also adding the framed version of the oil painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy and gesture studies. Oh my line quality is still so poor, blaah. Hmm I wonder what would be good way to improve it? Just drawing? Or drawing something spesific?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some studies from a movie (this time I also tried to do shadings with the side of pencil, hehe), and couple of still-lifes (oh no more eggs).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some gesture studies and some studies from a movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Regarding the line quality, I guess it's just a matter of trying to get out of habit of "ratcheting" and getting into strong quick and confident lines. I have noticed that drawing 30-60 sec gesture drawings helps with that transition as there simply is no time to be all that careful with the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again Ville!

Well here are some gesture practises and also some value study made with Photoshop. The ref is from characterdesigns.com. Ungh, there are so many issues with it. Mostly with proportions, like head is too small, torso is too long etc. Well posting it here anyways. Guess I should continue studying gestures and proportions! But now I'm off to play Monkey Island, chapter 4

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew an update, yey. Wish I had something better to show you after over a week since the last update but naah. :/ One would think that when you are on holiday, you would actually have more time to draw, but it doesn't seem so in my case. Well one week holiday left and then back to work and hopefully back to drawing again! Here are some gestures I've been doing just to keep myself doing at least little bit of something when I have time.

Starting to add more details to my figures little by little..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the support.

Proportions on those are getting better. How long are you taking on one? Personally I think line quality comes with time as your drawing gets more confident. Accuracy is more important in the beginning anyways.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your traditionals a lot!
    Anatomy studies also begin to pay off, just watch proportions))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ismo: Thanks! One is taking me about 3-5 minutes, longer if the pose is really difficult (like includes a lot of foreshortening, lol). Doing those with Posemaniacs random pose viewer.
    in2eternity: Thank you! I'm glad if my anatomy studies are already starting to pay off! Trying to find time to do some watercolor studies again someday soon!

Well here's some anatomy and gestures. So now that I finished playing Monkey Island I got addicted to Fallout 3 I've actually played New Vegas earlier and now that I saw my husband playing it, I kind of wanted to start Fallout 3. Darrrn.
    (So here's the explanation if I suddenly start drawing super mutants instead of people.)
    Oh and I also have a brand new scanner now. Started installing it until I came to the realisation that I don't have a usb wire. Nice.

Last edited by Satu; July 27th, 2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Text edit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy, these studies are looking great! great to see you doing so much stuff from life; it can get a little dull, but it pays off tons. those figures are also looking very solid lately now, try applying these studies and seeing what youve really learned by doing some personal work, from imagination. if you dont balance the two, most of the things youre studying doesnt stick in your head, and that's alot of wasted time...
    keep it coming, you're doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jess: Thanks for the encouragement! I will try to do stuff from imagination hopefully really soon!

Here are couple of water color life-studies I did today. I really tried to nail the correct colors and light in the sunflower (yes I'm hoping the plant will grow itself a flower someday soon, but with my gardening skills might end up just the way it is right now, lol) but I didn't really get them right. Just turned up to become quite a mess. It is just so hard to get the colors and light correct with watercolor. ..Allthough it is difficult in any medium for that matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy againn. I should propably start doing more still-lifes again too..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taking a little break from anatomy since its driving me crazy. I really try to save those basterd muscles in my memory but feels like I haven't learned anything, sigh. Oh well. Oh so if anyone has some good advices about how to learn the muscles, I'm all ears.

Some posemaniac- and some random fashion magazine gestures, and Loomis studies. Also decided to start doing skull 100 times if that would help me to put the facial features to proper places in different angles of the head. Don't know if it's the dummest idea ever but well (well I have the skeleton so why not use it as much as possible). It's somewhat good to have these 100 things to draw lists, because that way you always know what you can draw if you don't have anything else to do. (Because 100 drawings don't come that quickly from me.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo enough with the anatomy break
    Decided to move on and try to memorize little by little instead of trying to learn every single muscle of the arm before moving on. I'm just kind of perfectionist so it is hard to move on for example to the leg knowing you still don't master them, if you know what I mean

So here's my today's contribution to the world of art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, nice. I see a lot of improvement in your lines and studies (actually, your studies are way better now than in the first page! Nice!). If you feel that you have trouble memorizing the muscles you study, maybe try to draw them more from imagination? It forces you to know what you're doing so that's a good thing. Actually doing anything that makes you apply he knowledge you've gathered helps you learn.

But anyway, looking good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Saara! I will try that when I get back to muscle-business. I studied mostly proportions this weekend since I feel kind of lost with them. I got "Figure drawing for all it's worth" from post on Friday, wipii! It was truly a happy day. I actually have all the Loomis books in my computer but I don't like reading them from screen. Its much more nicer to sit on the sofa and sketch while reading.
    I've read this book (not completely) when I was younger but I decided to start it all over again and study it really carefully this time.

Anyways proportion studies are from the book. Also tried to do them from memory afterwards.

Sorry about the bad quality of pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice dedication . Such a large amount of stuff in such a short time. Go go go go, keep it up on the way to awesomeness!!

I always thought Loomis books were out of print so I never tried ordering any D:. Where'd you get it? I have the same problem with reading on the computer as well. Real books are just way nicer in every way. Besides I can show off by having my bookshelf full of artbooks, hehe (that's a secret though, shh!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saara huuge thanks for the encouragement! Hugs for that!
    Awesomeness is my goal, haha! And yeah I also like to show off with my artbooks lol (did I say that out loud)
    I ordered it from suomalainen.com but you can also get them from adlibris.com. I think they have been brought back to printing for like a while ago or so.

So today's still life studies are from erm.. skull! Also some foreshortening studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something from imagination (which turned out to be a total failure). The weight on her is carried utterly wrong but hey, luckily I just got (in Loomis) to the page that tells about weight carrying, lol. Allso some gestures. Should really really do more stuff from imagination.. Also I really don't know how I should adjust my images after scanning them, because they look so light and when I add contrast or curves they end up looking unnatural, sigh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great studies youve got going on here man. I like the pencil still-life's too. I did loads of them in the last year and its really helped my value-identification progress. Keep on doing what you're doing!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 128