Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff! Alot of fine posestudies you got there, good lines

Depending on what you want to achieve with the posemaniac studies you might want try changing the time. Try doing some 60s or 45s concentrating on the size and space. Naturally if you want to focus on movement and general feeling the 30s could do fine, I just find it more helpful to give me enough time to work fast without the need to rush. I think it's better to take a bit too much time than go for too short durations. The negative spaces are also awesome for learning space and size.

I always get too scribbly even thoguh I'm trying to get rid of that x.x;

good stuff, keep up the good work

"What does it mean to be an artist? It's constant, unrelenting, everlasting failure. That's what it is. You have to be really tough to take it." -Carl Larsson

Skethbook! | Deviantart! | Blog!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mag-Neo: Thanks very much!

Kvenh: Thank you! I've been actually trying to focus more on the movement with the 30 sec drawings, but I know I should start doing more the longer ones! Kind of got maybe too carried away with the 30secs because it is so much fun, hehe.

Well I finally started to learn anatomy! So now instead of boring gesture studies you'll be having lots and lots of anatomy studies, wii
    Of course I'll be continuing the gesture studies still also, so worry not you will see them here too.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and wihii for page three!

Hands!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to draw Khal Drogo from the Game of Thrones because, well.. urm.. he's kind of hot

Also did it to practise values. It took me quite long, and I could've continued it still, but the headache made me to stop. Well off to practise more values-->

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmm still in black and white .. come on i was expecting i come back and see 100 paintings from u..

beautiful work my friend.. keep them coming

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Rain! Sorry to disappoint you on the paintings. I've been having some sorts of art depression and that has effected my painting- and drawing pace. You know the feeling when you kind of momentarily loose the faith in yourself and in your skills of ever getting better in what you are doing? The little melancholic inside me causes those feelings from time to time and it has sometimes made me to stop drawing for very long times. Well anyways, I try to force myself to get over it again and to start drawing with the enthusiasm I did when I started this sb!

Well here is first some negative space practises to prove you I have done some figure studies. Then I also started a bigger painting (well I didn't start painting it yet but made some carcoal sketchings) that is gonna be a birthday present to my mother as she turns 60 this year. The painting is from her childhood home so it has to be good! Also made Daenerys Targaryen from tadaa Game of Thrones (huh what makes you think I love GoT? )! She is just soo beautiful. It took about 1,5-2 hours, hope it looks like her? I haven't read the books though so please no spoilings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know EXACTLY what u mean about the art depression... it happenes to me when i have alot of work and i cant draw for over a week.. after i finish work something holds my hands and i cant draw a THING .. the paintings i posted last are 1 month old.. i didnt do for the past month.. NOTHING.. and u start to think im losing it..and real artists dont stop drawing .. u see them in cafe and on busses and trips always drawing.. and u wonder maybe im not an artist..but i found out Everyone fall in this depression.. at least in the first few years ... so dnt u give up ... and im not dispointed that u didnt do colors im just trying to push u ahead to discover new places with colors...

i liked ur last girl.. it looks somehow sad .. and i like that

oh ya.. and happy birthday to ur mom

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can only echo the words of Rain Walker. I certainly have had those times of depression and angst myself. Felt like that some weeks ago actually. Nothing seemed to work and nothing seemed worthwhile. I felt like all my practice has been for nothing as it felt like I'm not improving at all. But then I visited several conceptart sketchbooks (yours included) and saw how everyone was working so hard and all I was doing was whine whine whine. That really snapped me out of it and I just started to draw again. I didn't draw anything specific. I just drew basic shapes and random stuff Ihappened to see or to imagine. to keep drawing, That's the only cure for this sort of thing in my oppinion.

So to sum up, don't you dare to give up. You may not see it yourself but you have improved greatly and I'm sure you will keep improving. You just need to keep on drawing.

BTW your latest portrait study looks GREAT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good stuff since I last visited The hand studies are great - they really help, and they'll become easier the more you do... or that's what I've found anyways Also love the game of thrones portraits. I don't really watch it personally but my other half does so I kinda got dragged into the storyline lol. I'm rubbish with names but i recognised the horse-people queen girlie, looks a lot like her

My sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...15#post3032315

I do draw every day, but being a busy mum, don't always get time to update.

Comments and crits are always welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *double post - stoopid computer

My sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...15#post3032315

I do draw every day, but being a busy mum, don't always get time to update.

Comments and crits are always welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rain & Ville: Thank you so much for you encouraging comments! This has to be the best thing in CA forums. To meet people who struggle with the same problems and with whom you can discuss these problems and try to get passed them together with encouraging and advicing each other. And sometimes you just need a little arse kicking and thats what you were doing to me now. So thank you really much! You are good CA friends (if it is appropriate to call you friends after knowing you guys so little while), humongous hugs to you both!
    It is time to stop whining again and start drawing!

Saffire: Thank you and glad to have you visiting to my humble sb again! I actually like hand studies very much! I just noticed it whilst doing them today. Gland you like them and the Game of Thrones portraits

Okay so here we go again. Here are some Loomis and Bridgman hand studies and also some hand studies made using my own hand as a ref (at the bottom).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all I had the time to draw today, so laaame I know. Moar hand studies what else? Oh my god I must have so boring sb. I won't be able to update anythin tomorrow, but hopefully I can update something on saturday. Something less boring. Oh who am I kidding its gonna be boring as hell propably! Aah I know I really need to do more life studies so why am I not doing them? What is wrong with me?? Why is it so hard to start them? And where do I find the time to do all the studies I need to do? And where does all the time go? And who stole my cheese?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aah, where did I manage to lost the images again?! I'm such a noob.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, really impressed with your hand studies. Looks very classical. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, Junpei! The most hands are from Loomis and Bridgman books so I guess thats where the classical look comes to them

Yey I did a still life today! I've been also doing a new profile pic to me to a facebook, thehe. I doubt though that I'll ever get it finished. Its sort of comic-style self-portrait or something. Because now that its summer, the gardening takes also some of my time.. Well anyways there are so many things wrong with it, and as you look it you propably also understand why I study anatomy and figure drawing so hard :p

Oh and I made myself a goal to be really good when I'm thirty. So I have three years to practise very very hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, productive! that's the way to do it ;D you're improving fast too. your lines are looking very clean on those bridgeman studies. you're definately putting me to shame atm! so, i'll be helpful and critique...

those tonals are looking great, but might help to think of features such as the lips and nose (well, the full face in theory, it's just those two places i noticed most) as forms rather than lines, they still seem slightly delineated. also, in the second one, you seem from the brushstrokes to have used a pretty small brush - it's better and less distracting when you use the biggest brush possible. atm she looks slightly wrinkled from all the strokes, a big brush would have smoother blending, and would make it easier to simplify the shapes and planes of her face. its best usually to start big and gradually go smaller
    also lovely attempt at the still life that onion has a nice variety of colour in the light area... but your shadow areas get muddy, it might help to remember shadows have colour too, this might help with that, although it is quite long winded it's all pretty important stuff.

Hope that helped, at least a little keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you really much for your helpful comments, Jess! I will try to focus more on forms when creating portraits now on. I've been actually meaning to learn more lips, noses etc. so hopefully they'll be showing some improvement soon too.

I'm actually really noob when it comes to Photoshop painting (well amongst everything else). I kind of allways just use only one brush with just different sizes and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to do things :/ And darn I know I should get rid of scribbling with a small brush and try to work more with bigger brushes. I'll try to improve this habit also! And thank you for the tutorial! I actually just bought the book, Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney so I hope it'll help me to understand light and colors more!

Thanks again for your helpful comments, much appreciated!

Soo here are some more studies. Some figures from ref and some stuff from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hand studies using my hand as ref and couple of crappy screencap studies from the movie "The Book of Eli". Both about 30-40min. Tried to use as big brushes as possible and not to scribble with details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn three days without any updates. Sorry about that!
    Screencap study from the same movie as before, about 30-40min.
    Also some crappy anatomy studies. Sorry about the bad quality. I should really buy that scanner..

Also the wip of the oil painting I'm working on right now. I actually changed the canvas to different size than what I posted here earlier. I think this one is better..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice improvement. Hand studies look great.

Feeling bad about your art and having to take breaks certainly isn't uncommon. I kind of had that myself lately. Still you just keep coming back after each time. Can't fight this addiction.

Keep pushing yourself and your art.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kiitos Ismo! Glad you see some improvement because I can't, lol I just feel that I have better and worse days and sometimes my drawings/paintings look better, and sometimes worse.

Yeah I totally agree about this being an addiction you can't fight. I've had some periods that I've thought that I should quit art alltogether (and I have quit) and that I can be very much happy without it too, since I have things well in my life. But every time I try being without art, I just find the pencil and brush back in my hand again after a while. And then feeling bad about not being able to do things that I want to do and feeling bad that I haven't practised while I could had practised. So now since I consider myself quite old already (well not actually old at heart but old in starting the art career) I feel that it is now or never that I should keep studying and stop quitting since I just cannot be without art either.

Soo here are some life studies. I'm actually visiting my parents now, so I could borrow their scanner. I tried to adjust the contrasts with some crappy program they had in the computer but I think the images got little too dark...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study from life (about 1 hour), and speedy from ref photo that is well it is speedy. Nothin more today I'm afraid. I should really do more of these pencil life studies, because I want to learn really really badly to be the supreme commander of the pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More screenshot studies. I find those actually really good when practising faces, facial features and expressions. These didn't really succeed so well but posting them here anyways..

Last edited by Satu; June 6th, 2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Images missing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bones. First some from Barcsay's "Anatomy for the Artists", and them some from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today was 'let's ruin a mug' -day. Inspired by that I took the mug nearest me. And ruined it! Also another wip of my oil painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy studies again. From book and from life. I find my skeleton actually very useful in understanding and memorizing bones. I think it is a lot more easy to actually see them and move them than just seeing them in drawings and in photos. And I am actually starting to learn the function of the arm and hand bones. Now I just need to memorize them, wihii.

Also one sucky still-life study. It was made actually in a little haste since I ran out of daylight. Ugh. Sorry about boring you to death with these anatomy studies. I can actually imagine people thinking, "unsubscribe, unsubscribe, unsubscribe" when looking at my sb, lol. That is if someone has happened to accidentally subscribe it

So yeah, I feel little bad when updating just these studies but these are actually the only thing I have time to draw nowadays since I try to study really hard. And if I wouldn't post these I wouldn't post anything, which then again might affect my drawing pace and motivation, which is good now. Soo enough of the chitter chatter, here are the pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great anatomy studies you got going on! Love to see the enthusiasm. Also great line quality in some of your sketches. Stay committed and you will surely reach new levels.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencils are looking better and better! Love the pitcher, great anatomy studies as well. You have your own skeleton? Jealous...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Satupeikko, thanks for visiting my sb, and good start for your sb so far!
    You can draw quite well judging by several paintings and the drawings of the cat and dog in your first posts, but like me, you need to practice anatomy and draw far more than you've been doing in the last years.
    Practice does make perfect. Keep up the good work!
    I'm going to check back to see how you're doing

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yogeshj25: Thanks very much! Glad you like the anatomy studies, cause I'll propably be filling my sb with them hehe.

Carakhan: Thanks! Glad to hear my pencils are imroving! Yes I bought the skeleton from here
    It was quite expensive, but it is worth it!

Harmageddon: Thank you! Haha I know I should draw faar more than I've done the past years and stop slackin.
    But I have a pretty good thing going on here right now since I've been drawing every day now for a while and not intending to stop that!

So here are some quick sketches from life, and also some gestures and again wip from the oil painiting.
    Still have so many details to work with. Feel free to give a feedback and suggestions on how to improve it!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 128