Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harm: thanks buddy! haha yeah gotta work hard to get out of the goblin caves into shiny beautiful world full of people to... befriend with
    I hope you are right, I would so gladly take a levelup right now. Oh hey by the way I moved into the next level of stalking you and joined your facebook page. Actually I would've added you as friend but wasn't sure if you're on facebook.

Uh so this is... umm yeah. I had actually no idea what I was doing with this.
    I just don't understand how to use brushes in Photoshop, lol. Well I guess I'll continue experimenting. It's a Sargent master study but yeah...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Values. That's on the top of my priority list right now. Well, values when there's dynamic lighting. Is a shadow box so cool?
    Nice skull. I still have NO normal skulls, just my decorated bronze one. Le sigh.

You have some nice colors in the last painting, the trees look clumsy. Not like I can paint leavy branches of course. And I just can't get how I should use brushes in PS. Not even normal ones. No matter what I do, it's zillion times harden and way different when using a pencil (and my lines happen where I want them, not half a cm farther).

I shouldn't write here when I'm very tired, my thoughts are selfish and chaotic enough without that... Oh and your last heads, I like them a lot. I'm looking forward to see your blooming portrait drawing skills I need some myself or else I will be a very envious and sad little lurker here.
    Good luck ~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: don't know yet if it's cool but I was thinking that it would propably help me a lot in understanding lights and shadows as I can easily control the direction where the light is coming. Uuh I know the trees are clumsy and making them felt even more clumsy. Haha oh my gosh you really have high expectations about me having someday some blooming portrait drawing skills. Better start believing in myself then and not let you down, haha. You just need to draw more more more also.

Well this wasn't that productive day. I wonder what it would be like to draw the whole day without having to go to work, instead of drawing couple of hours after work. And its not just having to go to work but all the little chores that come by owning a house with a big yard. Oh well just have to go with this, even though I'm not learning things as fast as I would hope.

Reffed stuff. The landscape ref is from National geographic's webpage. Loved the lightning init.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! The national geographic one is cool and I love the portrait sketches in the last image (especially the top right face). For your brushwork, I feel like it's coming off a tad transparent and muddy - maybe try working with a higher opacity/flow? I've personally found it very enjoyable to set them really high (sometimes opacity 100 and flow in the 80's) and just use smaller and smaller brushes when I get into detailing (except on large gradients, like in your national geographic study). And in case you're curious, these are the brushes I use - http://dierat.deviantart.com/art/My-...-Set-159773922 (I think the one I use most of the time is called 'wet round 1' or something.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dierat! Nice brushes I checked them out and had a couple of ideas for my own brushes as well. Did some brush experimenting and made couple of new brushes but I'm still very much confused Well, I guess it's not that important to understand brushes now as there are still so many other things for me to learn also.

Soo just some photostudies. Refs from National geographic again.

Name:  15082012.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  15082012_2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  69.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Screenshotties from Harry Potter.
    And doodlings from my head.

Name:  16082012.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  16082012_2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  16082012_3.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  99.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Sketchbook and GoT studies starting to remind me how seriously joffery needs to die

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Satu, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook and for your comments really appreciate it! Nice progress in your book, I noticed one thing right off the bat though, for example in a lot of your studies, you are using the same brush all the way through, creating a feeling of "sameness" while this can be ok for studies, I suggest trying out combining a variety of brushes/different shapes together while still keeping your values consistent.

And also, for example on your study of this one http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1344970305 -- In your study, it was all one brush, and felt very smooshy...sameness, try to add in some detail using different brushes, and look at the photo, of that beautiful road, and the texture/detail in it, how can you apply that while still making your shapes read? By painting in the road leading into the distance, this can help give your painting more depth as well. It isn't just this one painting you did, this can help you with your other ones as well. I also don't feel there is a foreground, think, foreground, middleground and background, always.

That being said, Keep up all of the studying, you are doing good!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinBeckett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man,those head sketches are paying off,significant improvement!
    PS:just put more time in the digital paintings/studies,I would like to see the result!
    keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro Ferreira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    udonhead: thanks! haha yeah there aren't that many joffrey fans now are there.

JustinBeckett: thanks man! Yeah i'm still having some huge difficulties with the brushes. I feel like I'm often just too scared to try out different brushes and easily just grab the first one that feels comfortable. Should definitely try to use them more though. And create some more brushes too since I feel like I still don't have the brushes I wish to have.

pgf95: thanks I'm glad to hear that! Uuh yeah you're not the first one to say that so I guess I really should start making longer studies and other stuff.. but I feel scared to do that though. What if they still suck so bad and I realize that I've actually learned nothing.. Hehe well don't know that If I don't try I know.

So these are a little longer studies.. Especially the face (not the hair obviously). But not that long I should be doing I guess.. They're screenshots from the movie "Sucker Punch". I like that movie a lot. Also some Hampton stuhdies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First is screenshot thingy and others some quick boring stuff from imagination.
    Also some cat-warrior kind of thing that I started. Urm.. if you have some crits about him now let me know. I just figured I should start something little longer and see how far I can take it at this skill level. We'll see if I'll ever get it finished

Name:  20082012.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  20082012_2.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  20082012_3.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  charr.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  85.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched Sucker Punch just a little while ago, I liked it too. Unlike my boyfriend.
    The Hampton heads looks good, I always mess up heads viewed from nontrivial angles epically so I can admire a much, much higher level.
    A longer study? Sounds good. I'll be here and watch Feel free to talk about him more.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the study with the dark castle and the portrait above. nice colours.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Flügel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shin: thx! Yeah trying to start doing some longer studies and stuff from imagination.. it's hard, but trying my best

Flügel: thanks!

Well here's one little longer photo study. And now that I look it here it really sucks, lol. Ref belongs to National Geographic.
    Also couple of master studies and faces from photos. Annd Hampton.

Oh and there'll be few days break from updating now since I'm going to London tomorrow! Yey, probs won't have that much time to draw there but I'll try to take many photo refs. And hoping to have time to go to National Gallery for some new inspirators.

Name:  22082012.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  22082012_ref.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  22082012_2.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  22082012_3.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  54.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This enviro study looks so much better than the quick ones. The shape of the hills are really nice. What I find most distracting is the repetitive grass things at the bottom and you lose the original depth because you didn't paint the far away hills lighter and less saturated. It matters a lot.

I like your faces, there's some nice line quality there though I struggle with English words here. But maybe I said the right thing. The faces itself has tiny flaws here and there but they are mostly okay and your strokes are nice. I see you realize mere eyes can be difficult... I wonder what would happen if you grabbed a marker and draw on top of your best faces. It makes wonders with my so-so ones, maybe yours would become really cool. Do something with them, I want to see them shine, figuratively.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff! You can definitely paint most of the colours you see in the refs. The illusion of perspective and depth take a small hit because of the values and some of the shapes on the last enviroment study. As shiNIN mentioned the values should be going a bit more lighter towards the horizon. If it's hard to pay attention to values and colour at the same time I suggest you make a saturation layer with saturation set to 0% which will let you see pure values when set on and off - I made a photoshop macro for generating such layer and usually just hit it right away when I start a new painting.

"What does it mean to be an artist? It's constant, unrelenting, everlasting failure. That's what it is. You have to be really tough to take it." -Carl Larsson

Skethbook! | Deviantart! | Blog!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvenh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, it's always nice to see so persistent dedication! Your figures have improved a massive load during the year and a half, solid forms on this sheet for example. You seem to use Posemaniacs, in case you want to use photos, maybe you knew it but there's a great figure drawing tool at Pixelovely.com. Digital studies are looking good too, colors look lively and carefully chosen. What I miss though, is some texture and more thought on hard and soft edges (especially on figures/portraits), like using a softer brush with maybe lower flow for the shadow parts and making the highlights and lighted contours sharper. Here's a link to the old edge thread in case you haven't bumped into it. Take a look at Greuze's work for good reference on control of edges, for example how he softened the contours of the head on this painting, I guess to give it more dimension and how nice the crisp eyes and the highlight on the lower lip look.

As for textures, I like how you used some texture on the lit cheek of this portrait (really like that study, nice values though the hair could've been rendered softer). I miss that treatment on the environments, textured strokes on places you want to articulate. Also, try to avoid too much use of the soft round brush though because it easily gives a muddy look, like the clouds on this study look blurred and formless. Don't know why you never seem to use a brush with opacity set to pen pressure but if you don't dislike it, I recommend adding that to your brush arsenal. The photo studies in post 367 look a bit flat due to lack of air perspective, remember that shadows always get lighter in the distance.

I really like your studying habits, keep them coming!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks! Yeah I'm not that good at making my drawings shine. But maybe I could try that marker-thing someday.

Kvenh: Thanks, and glad you stopped by again! Huu a saturation layer sounds like a very interesting and a good idea, have to try that.

smuli: Thanks! Well yeah although I have these long breaks where my persistent dedication isn't showing off that well I guess hehe. I have to definitely study more soft and hard edges, I'm pretty confused of them still. Also thanks for the many tips you gave me!

Well I'm afraid I have only couple of crappy quick drawings to show you. Haven't been drawing for like a month or so. I feel bad about this break but somehow I feel like I sometimes need these. But just trying to get back to studies again. And to longer studies also. These are from Hobbit trailer.

Name:  20092012.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  23092012.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  37.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    see a lot of good studies in here, keep doing what you are doing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems I was utterly lost on the internetz there...
    luckily I found my way back home throught the mists of wireless woods. Tea?

I had a break with drawing as well, although not as long as you. Been painting, and that takes friggin' ages before it gets to a level of progress that is worth showing.

I feel you got the mood down good in that last Hobbit environment.
    Although I think it might help you to simplify the large shapes first (you know, squint your eyes until you see only big light/dark shapes,then draw those) before you go into detailed strokes.
    The face is a little wonky but the light is coming across pretty good.
    Keep up the good work, or rather, start it again!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin: thx! I'll do my best.

Harm: Tea would be nice yes, thank you
    Haha I'll try my best on starting again. I was actually thinking of trying to paint without eye glasses some day. I think I saw someone do that and it should be the same results as squinting

Master studies annnd erm.. I might have accidentally bought myself a new toy hehe.. It's ah life study with it.

So I guess you'll be seeing pretty many life studies now from around our house and outside too when it's not raining at least. Sorryy it's so messy I don't know how to use it yet.

Name:  25092012.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  note1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  70.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uugh two more life-studies.
    Aaah so crappy but have nothing else to show you. :/
    Anyways I'm trying to figure out how to make the pics I've made with Galaxy Note to look the same on computer. Now they look way lighter and even the colors are little bit different when looked at my computer afterwards. Hmm ideas?

Name:  27092012.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  note3.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  53.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeey. Long time no see. What I see though is tons of sweet improvement joyfull joy xd

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramalooke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rama: Thx Though I feel that I'm even more rusted now than before.

Photostudy (ref) and life-study.
    Nothing more :/ Ungh my life study qualities are quite bad sigh.

Name:  01102012.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  46.9 KB

Last edited by Satu; October 17th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I can totally see an increase of skill in your coloring. But I would strongly suggest to refine it more and do longer studies. The environments convey atmosphere but I think you need to push the detail a tad more. I like your face studies!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Bjulvar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bjulvar: Thanks! I totally agree with you about doing longer studies. Maybe someday I'll stop slacking again and do those

So here's just a little something reffed. I need to draw moooooore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little longer screenshot study. Though it propably don't look that much longer.. I still suck at eyes.

Also some other reffed stuff.
    Oh and also did a profile to last.fm here, so feel free to add me if you consider us friends here.

Name:  05102012.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  05102012_ref.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  227.9 KB

Name:  05102012_2.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  05102012_3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  76.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaa it looks so wrong. Why can't I make the measurements right??

Name:  07102012.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  screenshot-med-01.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  70.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh I really need to find that drawing routine again.

Here's just some quick screenshot thingy.

Name:  16102012_2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  138.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    huum little something while waiting to see more hobbitses
    little longer screeniestudy this time

by the way, awesome source for screenshots here

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 166