Sketchbook: It's a trap! - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a trap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mila: Thanks! Glad to see you here again and glad to hear that!

So duuh have this ever growing feeling that I shouldn't propably draw this late. Or post this late.

Name:  05052012_2.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  05052012_3.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  32.8 KB

Last edited by Satu; May 4th, 2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: stuff
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 23: Photostudy

Well this wasn't really the topic but meeh, changed it again since I wanted to do photostudy. -_-

Took some photos today of rocks, leaves, etc. and made some new brushes of them, then tried them on this piece. I am actually quite pleased with this, though its somewhat messy.. It was fun also. Photo ref is from terragalleria.com, here. Feel like I'm actually starting to realise how to make and use different kind of brushes. I feel like I'm also slowly (very slowly) going towards the style that I want to be doing one day..

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wuuhuu another update today! Never happened before.
    Page 10 is clearly making me mad.

Photostudy

Name:  05052012_4.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  62.7 KB

Gestures

Name:  05052012_5.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  95.3 KB

Stiff and lame stuff from imagination. Obviously need to do more gestures.

Name:  05052012_6.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  47.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 24. Animal.

Just some crappy photostudy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I come here kinda often but I usually delete my half written comments, I'm really clumsy at them nowadays and I wish to say something totally honest and preferably useful. But now I will send it ~

I like your figures.
    Grats for the brushes, it's nice to play with them, I almost always use only my own brushes, it's troublesome to use them though, I often end up using simple ones *sigh*. The original photo has a different atmosphere and even colors, maybe you focused on other things and possibly changed things intentionally (these aren't lame I-dont-wanna-say-negative-things but my true thoughts, I think you're usually good at colors when working from reference).

You're drawing every day, keep it up ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Haha yeah you are right about the colors on that one. (Note to self: Do not forget everything else, like colors, when messing around with brushes.) Also you shouldn't worry about the words too much, I like it when you visit here, even if you don't have anything to say, or even if you think you don't have anything to say. (Hmm did that make any sense?)

Day 25. Something pink. Just some photo study again. I know I should do more life-studies really. But I found this beautiful photo with nice lightning and colors in it and just wanted to try it out. Didn't get the colors right and there are other stuff wrong too, oh well. Photo ref from glamour-photos.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It totally made sense.
    Btw I saw that enviro in rumpelstiltzkin's SB as well and I totally wish to do it myself.

I haven't seen the original of the girl in pink light but there's some nice things going in your painting. There are flaws as well, the hands seem floating a bit and there's something about the shoulders but I love her right arm and knees and don't have much problem else with it in general Oh proportions, her legs seem a bit too short.

Don't even think about visiting my SB in the near future, I totally stopped and now I'm busy and can't think about anything else but motorbike riding, I do that a lot nowadays. I'll notify you when I do something. (I don't say "something interesting/good" because that would take forever)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice environments dude, and nice skyrim study! :p

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thehe went to see her sb and it seems we even posted those lanscapes on the same day! What are the odds.
    Oh yeah the poor girl got sucked into the monstrous whirlwind between two realities and got her darker (and slightly smaller) twin-sister's legs from there. That's why the legs look from another planet than the upper torso.

Oh maan it saddens me that you are not going to post in a while But I understand too. Summer is time when one want's to do some other stuff too than sit at the computer. I may update little less too and maybe start painting and drawing more outside. Drive safely and remember to come back! And by the way you don't have to tell me when you post something, I am subscribed to you thread and will be watching you. And waiting!

rem92: Thanks man, Skyrim rocks!

Oh yeah since I feel oddly emotional today I just wanted to say how much I love being in these forums and wanted to thank you all who have visited here and will be visiting here.
    Lots of love to you all!

Day 26. Close-up. It's a life study of my hand yey..

Name:  09052012.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  46.9 KB

Moar hand studies.

Name:  09052012_3.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  56.2 KB

Studies from erm.. some hobbit's feet.

Name:  09052012_2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  61.8 KB

And 30 sec gestures.

Name:  09052012_4.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  58.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just seeing there's a new post in my SB doesn't notice you if I miraculously did something worth to see, you know.
    Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about that hand. It's not bad at all but the darker colors are a bit muddy and it's a bit too soft. But it's the right direction and I know the best how damn hard to draw something that even resemblance a hand...

I'm busy packing but you make me want to draw something now... I'll be back and maybe I can do everything I want, even some drawing. I don't want to drop that

Best wishes, I'm looking forward to your new stuff when I'm back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for stopping by my SB!
    you got a nice one here yourself, great studies! also that last enviro study is nice!
    and really like that chick in pink!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks! Haha I have mixed feelings about the hand as well.
    But I have to do these still-lives even though I suck at them.

rumpenstiltzkin: Man you're name is hard to spell
    Thanks for stopping by yourself! Glad you like em and hope to see you again!

Day 27. From a distance or in other words crappy photo study.
    I have no idea how to paint water. Ref from terragalleria.com

Name:  10052012_3.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  51.8 KB

Also some doodlings from head. Just trying to loosen up and learn to be fearless.. Or at least a little bit more brave and experimental.

Name:  10052012.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  10052012_2.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  59.5 KB

Wanted to try bust study too, from photo ref. I'm still so baad at values.

Name:  09052012_5.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  44.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working hard I see

Looking better and better. Might wanna try doing some Bargue cast drawings if you feel like your values are lacking. They also help you getting down porpotions. I've also done quite a bit of photostudies focusing just on value ie. I keep the reference picture in colour and try to paint it in black and white. At the end you can just turn the original into bw and check if you got the values right.

"What does it mean to be an artist? It's constant, unrelenting, everlasting failure. That's what it is. You have to be really tough to take it." -Carl Larsson

Skethbook! | Deviantart! | Blog!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey Satu! thanks for stopping by the other day, and what a lovely thread you have here. I most enjoyed the oil things I guess, like the flowers. hmm if I had to crit, I would say that all your figures could use a little extra construction at the start. (boxing in shapes), but im nitpicking here. what I do notice is, the photo ref you are using, from the fashion page? its pretty and all, but most of it seems like its already pretty roughly edited in photoshop, thus blurring lines and contrasts you could have used to contruct the figures; they seem like pretty lousy refs in that regard. wouldnt you be better off with some 'art-lighted' photos? something like this:
    http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...7nfjo1_500.jpg

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvenh: Glad to have you stopping by again!
    Oh yeah I wish I could do some life bargue drawings or cast drawings or whatever they are. But I guess doing some master studies and some photo studies of them would also be really good for me. Also it sounds like a really good idea to try doing value studies from colored photos and then seeing how badly it went. Have to start focusing more on value studies again after I've done with my challenge stuff.

ashess: Thanks! I know structures are another thing that I really need to start focusing again. Like box shapes, anatomy-stuff, gestures etc. Kind of been slacking with them lately. The photo-ref was from some glamour-photo site. I know it's not the best for practising figures and skin colors etc. and I usually do use the more artistic sites. But every now and a then it is nice to have a little change.

Day 28. Flowers. Kind of got the inspiration to this life-study from Kvenh
    And also because they were only flowers we had in our yard. Really sucky and messy.

Name:  13052012_3.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  67.1 KB

Another sucky and hasty life-drawing.

Name:  13052012_2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  55.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 29. Black & white.
    Photo-reffed study.

Name:  15052012.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  50.7 KB

This is the card I made for my mother on mother's day.
    Should do more stuff with watercolors, really love that medium.

Name:  15052012_2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  97.6 KB

Last edited by Satu; May 15th, 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *snap!* Argh, fell into a friggin' goblin trap! Full of... studies?!?
    Nice to see your hard work is starting to pay off
    Some great improvements in the last pages!
    Keep practicing, keep experimenting also. In other words, keep up the good work!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet bust studies! Do more, more I say!
    Can't crit them all that much without seeing the ref images, but I would advise you to pay attention and make observations of reflected light. The more I have drawn/painted the more I have realized how essential it is to get those things right.

I have found it useful to consider every lit surface as secondary weaker light source.
    So for example, consider the table on which the bust is on as a weak lamp lighting the bust below. But remember, it's bounced light, and so weaker as the direct light. So keep those areas lit by bounced light lower in value than areas lit by direct light.

I also notice that some of your digital brush strokes have sort of jagged edge. As if low opacity brush is serially stamped one after another. I had the same problem when I started to paint digitally and took me a while to figure out how to fix it. In case you want to, here's how you do it. Go to brush settings click 'brush tip shape' and then use the 'spacing slider'.

Keep on drawing/painting, your doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Say whatever you want, I can't dislike your flowers in glass at all...
    I dig your watercolor painting as well. I like watercolor but I can't make myself to start painting, my baby steps are kinda painful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man recent stuff is looking good, the life drawings and the bust have successful values and I like your 30sec gestures, try and bring some of that to the longer studies they seem much stiffer. Also really pay attention to the silhouette/shapes of the hand, its easy to make it look sausaugy its a complicated form. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Satu you are doing great to keep this momentum up. I can see the improvement, even if you can't always. I especially liked your 'messy still lifes' on Day 21 and your landscape on Day 23, lovely soft feeling, like the feel of the glowing light and the colours you've used, good piece all round.

Also I posted a reply to your questions about shadow boxes, lights and charcoal over in my SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harm: Haha thanks Trying to post some more of them studies for you so you won't get bored on your time in entrappment (since I'm not gonna let my prisoners escape, muahhahhaa).

Ville: Oh my god mister I could so much as hug you right now for the piece of information you just gave me about brushes. Though I have no idea how to use it yet and have no idea about edges for that matter. I guess it's something I should really look into. Some really good information you gave me just now about the lightning as well, thanks! I was thinking of making that shadow-box thingy now and start doing more life studies and focus on setting the light and observing the values.

shiNIN: Thanks girl!

TFsean: Oh a new visitor in my sb, cool Thanks sir very much for stopping by and for the tip! I really wish to get the looseness from the gestures to longer poses.
    I'm thinking I should do more gestures to get it come more naturally and to get the same looseness in longer poses as well.

Marian: Oh thanks for the encouragement, it really means a lot to me! And thanks for the link and instructions, I have a feeling that link will really help me a lot!

Oh man I feel so happy for getting so many replies, I think it has never happened in my sketchbook before. Thanks again for all of you.

So the final challenge day was a self-portrait and it really did become a huge challenge for me. I tried first making it from life, then got discouraged and tried to make it from photo. Didn't work either. It wasn't a good idea to try make it with colors, since I don't even understand values yet. (And no you will not see those self-portraits.) Also I hate drawing my own face. So hence I got a short momentum of depression and fell into the arms of the dark lord Diablo. But now I'm forcing myself to draw again so here's another bust from photo. It doesn't really look like the bust in the photo, so the main thing I really still need to study on faces is the structure. I have a pretty good practise for that in my mind though.
    Also sorry about all the cheesy smileys, I just feel that kind of goofy right now.

Oh and also I shortened my name since I got bored of my silly name, in case you wonder.

Last edited by Satu; May 19th, 2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another photostudy.
    Here is the ref if you wan't to see how it doesn't look like the photo ref at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe I realize it late but you... You changed your extremely funny name!!! I liked it. But I like you whatever your nick are so it's okay I guess. If you're happier this way.

I don't know the original for the study in #293 but the proportions seem slightly off, it's very hard to me to say something more useful about it, except maybe that the eyes feel a bit too high and not quite at the same level, maybe.

The last one: He has smaller and less open eyes in the original, the forehead and the somewhat bigger nose curves a bit differently too. Focus on the eyes, usually they are the most important feature in the face or making an expression... Subtle changes can matter a lot. But you surely know this already.
    The proportions are kinda good in this last one, it's much better than the previous ones You're improving, don't worry ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Yeah I just got bored of its sillyness I guess. But you can still call me that or whatever you wish Oh man yes the proportions. I just don't get it how difficult it is to get them right. I usually try to make good measurements but then turn out makin for example eyes smaller, then I have to make nose smaller too and everything is soon very distorted. Thanks again! I feel sometimes that I might have improved but then I make something totally awful and feel like I'm back to square one. Oh well.

Here's another photo study. Was really lost with this one. I guess using a squarish brush wasn't a right way to go. Also it's too flat and I think my head is more tilted and too skinny. Ref. Also been doing some basic head structuring stuff with Loomis but I'm too tired to scan/photo anything now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back after days and still no new stuff? I have to write what I didn't last time then.

As almost every time, I read your post and nodded. I know that very very well. My figures were always the worst, ellipse for head, ribcage, whatnot - and in the end, I had to make the head at least 2 times bigger. Every time. Human proportions are tricky.

About your study (Tell me if just stating flaws are useless, I usually am able to do just that): Not bad but there are a few not so tiny flaws. You noticed some of these. The angle is different, I don't feel the head is tilted, it's like we see it from a bit higher place than in the reference... But the angled "eyes line" (I wish I could explain better, well it's the line both the eyes are on) gives a skewed feel now that the angle is different. The mouth is too small, the corners barely reach farther then the wings of the nose, it's never the case in reality I think (except flat wide noses of other races).
    I'ts tricky, I guess you just should keep doing them and they becomes unavoidably better. I will shout if I see a repeated flaw or have anything else that seems useful.

I'm waiting for your update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks girl! Oh yeah I fell into some kind of Diablo coma. Very serious. It's hard to come back and post something after you've been away for a while. After that it feels like everything you do is so crappy that you can't post such a crappy crap in here. So I need to get back to posting regularly again. Thanks for the crits! I really appreciate it since even though it's sometimes hard to see one's own mistakes.

Well here's just some screenshot study just for the sake of posting something.
    It doesn't look like Johnny Depp. -_-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Satu View Post
    It's hard to come back and post something after you've been away for a while.
    I know. I'm back after a few days and I'm tired and lazy and "how the hell did I draw anything before?"... *sigh*
    And I come here spamming your SB instead of drawing.

it's sometimes hard to see one's own mistakes.
    You finally said something I can't relate... If I look, I see and it hits me hard. This skill is only turned off while I'm drawing without looking what am I doing. It's amazingly easy to do.

It doesn't look like Johnny Depp. -_-
    Not totally but the eyes and something in the whole face tells me it's plausible he was in your ref. Similarity is damn hard, I experience it all the time.
    The cigarette looks weird, floating. The skin seems oily or wet, I wonder what your ref was like. Nothing else I can mention due to the sketchyness level and my critic skills. Not a bad start, would I say if you wished to continue this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Yeah I think you really should be drawing too. I mean I like you visiting here, but I'd like to see more updates from you too. Grab the pen again and join me!

Just some reeeally quick photostudies, trying to get the colors right.

Name:  29052012.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  29052012_2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  58.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your fast way of drawing landscape, more
    sure u are getting better and better

I am searching for a "Mentor" who will give me some hint's and an ass-kick when I get lazy

NOW or Never --> Last Chance SKETCHBOOK _____ deviantArt _____ CW-Sketchbook(Blog)

Any Question? ---> PM pls

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JiR For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 119