Art: Imp WIP: first time post, first time sculpt...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Imp WIP: first time post, first time sculpt...

Hi there!

Here's a little WIP sculpt to get my feet wet, working with Super Sculpey. I have fiddled with various sculpting media before, but never seriously or with intent on actually completing the piece. I thought a bust would be a good start, nothing too ambitious, but something to give me enough to chew on and have a crack at a few different types of surfaces (skin, cloth, etc). I often get over ambitious with projects, and that can end up frustrating me.. especially with new media.

Here's a basic sketch. I don't intend to adhere to the plan too strictly (I already dropped the goggles), but I thought it would be helpful to have some sort of plan, especially for the armature and under-layers:

and 2 work in progress shots:

I have only worked on the face to any level (yet no major texturing going on, yet), so that is what I am most interested in as far as feedback goes. Do the forms look convincing? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

good start

The only things that stand out to me as not looking quite right are: The chin(if that what it is and not the start of some hair), this looks a little weak compared to the rest of the piece. It needs to be blended better with the lower jaw bone,which could also do with a bit more defenition. . At the moment it just looks kind of out on its own.
    The only other thing I`d say is maybe the teeth are just a little to long. Apart from that Id say you have the start of a nice looking piece.I like the streamlined angle of the nose and forehead. Post more pics when you`re done.

Magic Torch:nod:

Thanks
    it's actually a curly goatee, but I haven't done any detail on it... just a rough blob to indicate it's location. The sketch might give you a clearer idea of where I want to take it. To be honest, I am not quite sure how I will handle the hair, there.

You're right, though, it would be a pretty lame chin, if that's what it was! :lol Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Off to a good start

It looks good to me--especially the details of the face.

The sketch shows open eyes, but your sculpt has them closed. Any reason for that?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
    -- Goethe

Visit my online portfolio: Dan Perez Studios

Thanks
    yep, in the sketch I had goggles, but while sculpting it I felt that eyes would be more interesting to look at. The goggles would just block too much of the eyes, which convey a lot of the persona.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.