View Poll Results: Who's your favorite Bright Purple Listener?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • rgeorge

1 1.85%
  • David_Ray

0 0%
  • Doguin

15 27.78%
  • SaintLConcept

16 29.63%
  • alexson

2 3.70%
  • Eclectix

9 16.67%
  • retter

4 7.41%
  • MarcSampson

4 7.41%
  • porcupine

0 0%
  • MetaD

1 1.85%
  • MnM

1 1.85%
  • Jakers

1 1.85%
  • RXMT

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #204 ,bright purple, with super-sonic hearing. VOTING!

ROUND #204 VOTING

Topic: bright purple, with super-sonic hearing.

Single Vote (<20 entries)...

Deadline for the voting: Wednesday Mar. 9th, 2011

Remember to show some love, thank the people who's entries you liked but couldn't vote for. Also, if you've got the time, please add some crits.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; March 3rd, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Purple Hider

Artist: rgeorge

Concept: Purple Hider
    The Purple Hider possesses hyper-hearing abilities, aided by its external sensory strands that send alarm signals to its legs when a predator is near, telling them to run and hide. As a result the poor beast is always on edge and never gets any sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Auditory Burrower

Artist: David Ray

Concept: Auditory Burrower
    The Auditory Burrower was once a burrowing mammal who's bright purple pelt made it an easy target for flying predators. Over the centuries it has evolved hearing so accute that even when underground not only can it detect whether predators are patrolling near by sand dunes, but whether they are roaming the skies as well. As a result of this evolution, these small desert herbivores are rarely seen, surfacing only when there is no detection of a threat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Filtress Succus

This insect is a member of the Coleopteran order and is only found in deserts. It uses its antennae to detect predators so it can easily escape from them, and it feeds on cactus flowers by using its extended mouthparts to reach into their centers. Its average size is 4-5 inches long, and the antennae can double that size on males!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doguin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Purplap

Artist: SaintLConcept

Concept: Purplap
    Purplap is mostly found on savannas, It lives by eating fruits and some certain leafs. this creature has a supersonic hearing that allows it to hear predators from miles away. It has 2 big and long ears to receive the smallest sound frequency, while the other 2 smaller ears are used to further lock the location of the sound source.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaintLConcept For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: alexson

Concept: Tube-eared pinklo
    This little guy can be found nibbling on leafs in the deepest part of the jungles. Not very agile or fast, his superior hearing allows him to hide in trees and bushes long before potential predators gets near.

Name:  cow204_alexson.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  83.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Eclectix

Concept: Violet Dawn Walker

The Violet Dawn Walker, Megokapia quadricornia, is a resident of the perpetually twilight northern land mass of the planet Costatis.

This large creature is the primary prey for the Emperor Dawn Stalker, an equally impressive ambush predator. Because it has no other major defenses, the Violet Dawn Walker has evolved a sense of hearing that is unmatched anywhere in the known universe.

What were ancestrally a simple pair of horns used for defense and display have evolved into impressive auditory receivers. Paired into fore-and-aft bugle-shaped extensions, these specialized "ear-horns" channel even the faintest sounds towards highly developed auditory receivers. The Violet Dawn Walker can create a 3-dimensional model of their environment within their head based on sound alone, and can detect the presence of predators from many kilometers away.

This is important because the Violet Dawn Walker must constantly be on the move in order to stay several kilometers away from their main predators. Only by keeping such a large distance between them can they avoid becoming the Emperor Dawn Stalkers' next meal.

The Violet Dawn Walker uses brilliant purple colored bioluminescent displays to attract small flying orthonestes which nest in its massive mane. The orthonestes provide the service of keeping the Violet Dawn Stalker's auditory receivers free from parasites, and in return they have access to a large mobile sanctuary in which to nest.

Name:  COW 204.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  350.2 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: retter

Concept: The Prugg
    Due to its large size, slow run/reaction speed and bright purple coat the prugg should be a predator's dream prey. However, the prugg does have one thing stopping it from being a free meal and that is its supersonic hearing ability. prugg can hear predators approaching from miles away allowing it plenty of time (which it so very much needs) to hide. Favourite hiding places for the prugg include; muddy fields, dark caves, swamps and thick brush, essentially any area where they can cover their horribly apparent pelts.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: MarcSampson

Concept: Earbo

The Earbo is a very special creature, he has developped his hearing ability so far that his ears has become part of his whole organism.

Not only can he hear really well he can also use his giant ears as wings, which allow him to jump very far from tree to tree. The smaller ears attached to his back can shine and frighten or confuse alot of creatures but if that doesnt work he can still jump away.

He eats mostly fruits and little insects.

my Sketchbook plz help me become a better artist !

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153575

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcSampson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Durrdu

The colorful Durrdu inhabits the wast marshlands of Kar'luma. They are highly visible in their surroundings and their only defense is flight. During evolution their hearing organs has grown immensely, eventually taking up so much space in their skulls that the eyes has deteriorated, leaving them virtually blind, solely reliant on their hearing to avoid the many predators on this hostile planet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow earstrich

Artist: MetaD

Concept: earstrich

These strange creatures have a really accurate hearing to avoid their predators, seeking for tasty flesh and the splendid color of the furs (in plan to sew elegant jacket... wait what ?... ). Earstrich are quite fearful and mostly simple minded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pollenating Tree Amphibian

Artist:MnM

Concept: Pollenating Tree Amphibian

Ears evolved from sensitive gills allow this glider to jump from tree to tree in search of nectar as it follows the popping sounds of blossoming flowers. The downy filaments on its body vary in color depending on the species of tree it pollinates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Jakers

Concept: Spotted Keenisis
    This endangered species has been hunted by natural prey to near extinction. While only having presence on these lands for several centuries, its survival relies upon its keen sense of hearing; for its bright spotted pelt keeps it anything but hidden.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: RXMT

Concept: Purple Lemoo

The Lemoo lives in deep tropical jungles and avoid predators with its incredible hearing that can detect predators from miles around.

This hearing is in fact so developed that it allowed this specie to evolve a distinctive purple fur that would be unpractical to any other jungle animal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome job guys, some really neat designs. I hope its not too early to throw some thoughts in, I just don't want to forget.

Eclectix, i thought your design was really neat - the horn shapes used to channel sound is great

retter I felt you achieved something that may not have pushed the hearing in an unusual way (neither did I, being honest) but you were perhaps the most bold with the given color (who knows, magenta and purple are different). The shape design and execution with just the right amount of rendering is awesome.

RXMT The anatomy and structure of this guy feels better good! I think if anything its a little hurt by how much focus the environment has. Perhaps keep the creature more centered/larger. I can see you wanted to show the predator in which its hiding from, but I feel that doesn't help the actual aspect of your design that much

MnM Definitely like some of your design thoughts that came out in your description. There is a very nice rythem in the shapes you have used - pattern, head, eyes, feet etc. that makes the whole thing harmonize. The painting style feels like you weren't trying for realism but a simplification which works - however if you are trying to realism go a little more bold with your edges and more dimension with your lighting.

MetaD I feel that there are some more dynamic shapes going on with the head and neck, where the legs and feet stay near the same thickness...you could possibly push those shapes a little further. I also think by looking at Ostrich photos, that the leg is further forward, and their anatomy does not require the 'knee' to be lifted so high...more of the lift happens in the ankle. Got curious and looked it up, hope thats ok!

Porkcpine seems like we were on a similar wavelength with the animal base and location! I like how you were thinking about blindness as a sacrifice for the hearing. Some areas may feel a little too soft (though the overall softness is ok) and perhaps its a fairly safe exploration for a creature.

SaintLConcept Fun scavenger you have there! The extra prop is nice for the story. On a technical level, I think the back ear is too far forward (we don't see the front of his face very much) and perhaps the drool/super bright chest steals some attention. You could probably push the purple sat. even more and get away with it, but its a fun fantasy creature thats for sure.

Doguin Neat bug! Didn't notice the more mammal like eye design at first. I think the furry aspect was overlooked from the design spec, however you took the shapes pretty far which is nice.

Alexson This guy is fun, its like he belongs in a whole other universe like Dr. Seuss perhaps. I don't quite understand whats going on at the top of his head? The pose tilted as a whole is interesting, though i can't help but feel there could be more emotion/character in the pose.

David Ray Similar to my last comment I think the pose could show a lot more - a turning of the head to show awareness, or a very straight spine etc. as he just feels like hes leaning forward. Some more reference for the burrow much have helped give it better believability, but all in good practice.

rgeorge You've definitely take us to another world, similar to Electix, with this one. He floats correct? I feel that the trees overpower him a bit much - they are just frequent, repeating high contrast shapes...so maybe I would have toned one of those aspects down a bit. Although floating, it feels like there could be better visual balance in the masses and design - perhaps some kind of tail and a larger torso/butt, or more of a chest cavity and a lighter feeling head etc. My thinking is that even while something is weightless, it should still feel logically balanced from an anatomy standpoint to avoid coming off as awkward....what do you think?

MarcSampson Interesting! It feels to me like his legs are strange in how they are holding him up...very angled and the hip area is not clear (at least from this angle). The size of the ears is pretty cool The head area gets a little confusing with so many shapes that the first read is a tad confusing. Also I'm not sure about the fan-like shapes on his sides - it feels like arms would suit this guy rather well for support with such a long and curvy body.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jakers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakers: I was thinking something along the likes of lightweight and delicate, yes, but also athletic (for want of a better word). I landed up referring an impala/ostrich (running or making a getaway). Thanks for your thoughts, I'll consider balance and mass as well next time.

Members who have read this thread: 2