Sketchbook: Zombie's Undead Sketchbook (I suck! Comment and critique, please!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Zombie's Undead Sketchbook (I suck! Comment and critique, please!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zombie's Undead Sketchbook (I suck! Comment and critique, please!)

Hey, everyone! New member alert. Well, not really. I lurk, but never post.

Anyways, I'm a 15-year-old who is known by all as the art dork. I've been drawing fro fun for a few years now, but only recently have I started taking it much more seriously and trying to draw something at least once a day. I would love to have art in my daily life when I get a career, and dream of working making video games.

Okay, enough rambling. Now drawings.

Constructive criticism and critiques are very much welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Zombie_chinchilla; July 27th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More. Ugh, I need to draw more.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_chinchilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more that I did yesterday.

1. About a month old. It's the character Katara, from Avatar.
    2. Also old. This one I did while at the Blue Heron in NY, a hippie music fest.
    3. Some 15 second sketches from posemaniacs. My first try doing 15 sec.
    4. I did this yesterday. They're based off of various stock images from DA.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots more I did yesterday evening and today. I discovered pixelovely.com, as you can tell. The last one isn't from pixelovely, though.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more. They're a few days late, but this is the first time I've had the chance to post them.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting progression. By any chance, are you drawing with your entire arm?

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Falchion- Thank you. When I first read your question, I honestly had no idea. So I had to draw a really quick sketch to see. But, yes, I do draw with my arm. Why, and how could you tell?

Okay, a few more practices. Practicing cross-hatching on the bottom two. I think I'm improving, even if they still look terrible.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you have some nice stuff. Can't wait to see more . Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much, Ven S!

Whoa, it has been far too long. Ugh. I think my crosshatching is improving, but it still needs lots of work.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you must use more confident lines, for accomplishing this you should draw either from your elbow or your shoulder NOT your wrist, keep your wrist lock. Also take a look at this website you might find it a blessing hehe

Quote Originally Posted by matt kohr View Post
    If you haven't been to the site yet, you should totally check it out!

www.ctrlpaint.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your longer studies are starting to look visible better.
    I really like the last one in post #7, the right lower corner. Very nice!

I think you should do some anatomy studies to give you more ideas of what to look for,
    particularly looking for those basic shapes and construction. Try looking for loomis, bammes, bridgman, hogarth etc see what works best for you
    and more pixelovely stuff! perhaps do posemaniacs for those wacky angles; they can be a good challenge.

It's your first page, so lets see some more more more!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres333- Whoa. Thank you so much for the link! Ctrl paint is awesome, and I'm still not through with all the videos. This is so fantastic.

BlackDelphin- Thank you so much for the kind words. And for the tips. Anatomy is definitely not my forte, I'll be sure to check out Loomis and everyone else.

Got a brand new tablet a couple days ago! Can't wait to start some more practices. The last one is a Sherlock drawing I did around Wednesday. Definitely could be better.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like what you have in here. Through each of the posts that you've made with it your cross hatching has really improved!

My only though on any of it is that on post number three Katar looks like she has a slightly small head for her body But it looks like that doesn't show up anywhere else in what you have here, so it might just be what I'm seeing.

Good Vs. Evil and the battleground is the mind.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbinker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    poljnihs';leafojrihna

Just to let you know, the next drawings are all posted using IMG tags. I didn't feel like dealing with the stupid attachments.

1. Pixelovely stuff.
    2. More stuff.
    3. And more.
    4. Just some fun. With reference.
    5. Meera, from A Game of Thrones. Bran and Summer are in the background.
    6. An assignment for art class. I was too lazy to take off the sticky note.
    7. Same.
    8. Art class assignment. "Distorted."
    9. "Obsession."
    10. "Foreshortened."
    11. "Twisted." It's a tootbrush bracelet.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ;jlaksdfaghjf

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice going with the variety of studies Keep at these. When you finish a bunch of studies, try drawing from your imagination and memory. Use some of that knowledge you just learned.

Hope to see more. Try making a weekly goal to post something if you need some motivation.

Sketchbook: Critiques welcomed
    ||Deviant Art Account || Blog ||

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, jacen!

To motivate me to draw more, I'm giving myself things I need to draw and practice each week. This week, it's hands. So I did a couple sketches, and I painted one, from reference.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work doing so many studies! I should take a page from your book with that

A tip: when the poster a while back asked if you were drawing with your whole arm, they asked because it looks like your lines are being "petted": one line made up of a bunch of little lines. This usually results from wrist-and-finger drawing. It's a tough habit to kick but start now: try to use long sweeping lines and practice drawing curves, and try not to go over the same line a bunch of times. If a line looks wrong to you, erase it and try it again; don't start drawing lines next to it before that since it leads to "scribbling". Also, draw large sometimes! do some of your practicing on big sheets of, say, newsprint or something. You can usually get those for real cheap at an art store. Experiment with different grips when you do this; some are more conducive to arm-drawing than others. Also, consider a bit where your lines will go before you put them down; sometimes slowing down leads to more efficiency.

What this will do is it helps you look at the big-picture as you draw. A lot of times people jump too quickly into detail, you can avoid it more easily if you stay loose!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, I like the studies you're doing! Some minor suggestion for the last one. You should add some tones outside of burnt sienna \. Some yellows, and don't forget to add highlights =D Can't wait to see more. *subscribed*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are up to a great start, keep going with those studies. c:

Elks are orange
    Elks can fly

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    currychakra- Ah, thanks so much for the feedback. And good point about the yellow, that's definitely something I need to work on.

Elkishly- Thank you!

Sean McClain- Really? Huh. Thank you!

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I got home late and didn't have time to post anything. It was the first day after Xmas break, too, and just blah. But I got in some sketches. Also an oil painting of a broken light bulb I'm working on during art club.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Members who have read this thread: 2