Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 686 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 27nd of February.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Shadow gestures study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

This weeks optional study is a part of the gestures you normally do. Add a light source to the gestures, so that they cast a shadow on the plane they are standing on. You can do this to any number of your gestures, and these shadows can be as detailed as you want to. You could, for example, add simple cast shadows to 10 of your poses.

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #171

ggnastist
    tobbA
    Scordatura
    Anthis
    shiNIN
    zy.
    surus

Last edited by Anthis; February 23rd, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is it okay to do the optionals with animals? I feel I need some reference for it and I have some animal figures More variety
    I may try to add shadows to some human figure by myself but it won't be correct, that's sure.
    I seriously neglected shadows till now, thanks for the optional idea
    {time to start my first gestures this week I guess... }

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN - sure! The gestures themselves are the 'same as always', you just can add a cast shadow. So the gestures can still be humans, animals, or capybaras if you want..

Bit of a bad week for me. Wanted to focus on feet a bit. Started with some Bridgman, then tried my own foot. Then a couple from imagination. Then some figures plus shadows. Things didn't really pan out as planned, think it was simply lack of focus.

Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"
    Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I missed this one as the deadline is today but I'd like to jump in on the next one.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Manlybrian - I will put up a brand new thread for next week tomorrow. Feel free to join in!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: Great feet studies!

I'm looking forward to see the camps starting mondays

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: fine feets

I actually looking forward to the sprint to start... I have zero mood and energy, Hungarian winters always were too long for me and now it's unusually cold
    I forgot to shot my SB pages (mostly heads and too much bones, not for this activity ), I will do that tomorrow and bring some figures as well.
    Next week will be better, my BF will have a free week and it would be so wrong not to use him for some nice real life gesture studies But I don't promise anything ever in late winter..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis - Nice feet. I am completely clueless when it comes to feet, but i never seem to be able to muster up the will to study them. Just looking at your studies i notice features i hadn't noticed before.

Long studies of celebrities and some 5 minute poses from http://lovecastle.org/gestures/

Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study" Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"
    Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study" Spartan Camp #172 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow gestures study"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aprat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aprat: wow, those portraits... I especially love the last one, that simple yet great hair... I can't say much just being amazed looking at your works lately...

I did something tonight. I'm quite impressed, normally a figure takes at least half an hour, I don't even want to put much anatomy into it but nice curves and whatnot are irresistible to me. I want to do quick but expressive sketches I was tired now but I think I feel what I should do
    Only one pathetic refd shadow so... no optional this week.

I have these silly things as well:

As promised, paper SB stuff will arrive late

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aprat: wow, those portraits... I especially love the last one, that simple yet great hair... I can't say much just being amazed looking at your works lately...

I did something tonight. I'm quite impressed, normally a figure takes at least half an hour, I don't even want to put much anatomy into it but nice curves and whatnot are irresistible to me. I want to do quick but expressive sketches I was tired now but I think I feel what I should do
    Only one pathetic refd shadow so... no optional this week.

I have these silly things as well:

EDIT:
    and faces and whatnot from my paper sb... messy as usual and making such a picture almost takes more time than drawing the pages... just way less fun. I should work tidier or simply don't show most of this stuff... (I was careless, it's kinda big but maybe it's not such a huge problem in 2011 in such an image heavy board... )

Last edited by shiNIN; February 28th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link Aprat!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boop. small week for me. Working on a project that I hope to submit to the Panel of the Week (see here) Should be fun.

Both of these are un-ref'd. Still some problems, but getting looser.

Name:  Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 1.17.44 PM.png
Views: 354
Size:  892.5 KB

This was an idea for the CHoW last week. The gods of C and C++ (because programing in C is like a fast dance on a newly waxed floor while carrying razor blades. Or some quote like that by someone that would know )
    Name:  Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 1.17.59 PM.png
Views: 333
Size:  526.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis-- interesting foot studies. I've gone back to feet twice in recent weeks, the fact that we don't see them in the way we see, say, hands, everyday, makes it hard to me to have any intuition about them. Plus no two pairs of feet look alike. The only thing I'd even venture to suggest, and take it or leave it, would be to work on getting down a line skeleton for the bones and tendons of the foot. Having a wire skeleton can be helpful in building 3D blocks around. I often draw hands this way-- drawing the direction of the fingers to the tips, and the joint of the wrist, and then building up the actual fingers around these. (my feet are mostly shoed ).

apart-- sh!t man the top right female study is phenomicanl. the highlights on her faces, and the curvature of her cheek bone and eye socket, as well as the dark corner of her left inner eye, well it's all just captivating. Also, I really enjoy the subtle dot of highlight on the part of the nose tip facing us, it really illustrates the shape of the nose well, in addition to the more subtle highlight leading up to the bride.

Interesting quick studies-- do you lay down the thick lines first, and then go over them in thinner lines? The bottom right one in particular makes me think this.

shiNIN-- lovely sketchbook stuff. While your computer generated stuff is very nice, I really enjoy the variety of tones you get with your paper sketchbook. Your faces are really lovely. One thing I have noticed in your posts is that you tend to be very self critical, talking about the things you want in your drawing to be and are not. So I was very happy in this post to see that you commented on how happy you are with the speed of your paintings. They are looking to me just as good as older posts, and for myself sitting down with a positive attitude (or at least not a bad one ) can really make a difference.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little late to take photos. So, here are mine for last week.

I've tried to draw shadows for this last one.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ggnastist For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1