LE1600
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: LE1600

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LE1600

Hi all,
    I am considering getting a second hand LE1600 for digital sketching and uni. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

1. Will it run painter 11
    2. Will it run sketchbook pro?
    3. What sketching software would you recommend?
    4. What is the max amount of RAM that can be fitted?
    5. Is 30gb hardrive big enough?
    6. Has anyone used a USB keyboard with it? (The reason I ask this is that I want to be able to sketch but I also need to use it like a laptop in class)

Many thanks

Much Love

Crow

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowv View Post
    Hi all,
    I am considering getting a second hand LE1600 for digital sketching and uni. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

1. Will it run painter 11
    2. Will it run sketchbook pro?
    3. What sketching software would you recommend?
    4. What is the max amount of RAM that can be fitted?
    5. Is 30gb hardrive big enough?
    6. Has anyone used a USB keyboard with it? (The reason I ask this is that I want to be able to sketch but I also need to use it like a laptop in class)

Many thanks

Much Love

Crow
    I don't know if you are still considering an LE1600, but I have had one for about 6 months or so.

I can run Painter11 on it and it runs fairly well as long as you don't use large Watercolor brushes.
    I also run MyPaint on it and I prefer it for sketching as it has a smaller memory footprint.
    The max ram is 1.5gb.
    The hard drive is big enough for me.
    I also use it as an ebook reader (PDFs, Mobi).
    I do use a small usb keyboard and it works well as the virtual KB is hard to use while sketching/painting.

~John

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many thanks for the info Jhon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also have an LE1600 (2GB RAM and a 30GB HD has been fine.) I do have a usb external HD that I can store files on or use to transfer files to my other machine for further work.

I have been trying to decide between a usb keyboard, or Motion's convertible keyboard/screencover.
    The sketching programs I have are autodesk sketchbook pro and artrage - both work great, especially after installing the wacom drivers

Sure has been nice to have a sketchbook with infinite pages!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Far,

Check out this mini keyboard by Gearhead:
    http://www.pcgearhead.com/keyboards-all.php?PrdID=1098

I found it at BestBuy, but should be available at large Electronics stores or online.

It is quite small and the num keys are replicated on keys by using shift. I use it all the time because the virtual keyboard takes away from valuable screen real estate.

~John

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a le 1700 on the way but in the excitement of ordering it realized i got one with the 1.06 dual core cpu instead of the 1.5. how much performance did i lose and do you guys think it would be worth it to try and sell it on ebay to get one with the 1.5 prcessor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by staccato View Post
    i have a le 1700 on the way but in the excitement of ordering it realized i got one with the 1.06 dual core cpu instead of the 1.5. how much performance did i lose and do you guys think it would be worth it to try and sell it on ebay to get one with the 1.5 prcessor?
    If you plan on using Sketchbook Pro, MyPaint, ArtRage, or Paint Tool Sai......you most likely won't notice any significance difference in performance. They all run fine so long as you hit 1ghz.

Photoshop....thats a different story. It would run...but it wouldn't run pretty.

Corel Painter.....should be fine..but the bigger brushes may give you some lag.

However...if its got the processor I think it has (u7500)....its a ultra low voltage model. I used to have the Gateway C-120x Tablet PC which used the same processor. Since the voltage is lower...it should yield better battery life. However truth be told, my old C-120x barley lasted more then an hour with its 4-cell battery. The C-120x however was a very poorly designed tablet. I'm sure Motion did a much better job with the u7500.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man well looks like i may have to sell this one to get the 1.5, i want it to run photoshop. thanks again for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 1