Sketchbook: Lily Shapes Up

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Lily Shapes Up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lily Shapes Up

So, hi. I'm Lily. I've been drawing for a long time but haven't been taking it as serious as I really want to. I've been in a rut and totally stagnant for the last six years. A few weeks ago I was in a situation that resulted in the loss of my home, job, and most of my money, so I'm now living with my mother on the opposite end of the country trying to get back on my feet and reassess. One of my dreams has been to work as a concept artist for video games, but I was always too nervous to pursue it and really push myself. Now that I've had a chance to examine my life and potentially take it in a new direction, I've decided to go for it and do everything I can to improve.

Right now my two biggest goals are:
    A style change- I've been drawing anime-style for 10+ years and it's seriously messed up my proportions. Right now when I sketch I'm trying to focus most on getting the form and anatomy correct.
    Switching my photoshop technique- It takes me forever to do something not exactly spectacular. I need shortcuts and I need to take full advantage of my shiny new Intuos. When I speedpaint I'm still trying to force out of the stereotypical anime style but choosing to focus more on the technique rather than the style change, for now.

My daily goal is to have 2 or more facial/figure studies and one speedpaint to post before midnight. Sooo with that, here I go. Two "speedpaints" (it's taking me 5+ hours because I've never done this before ) of elves from a certain popular online rpg (so the designs are not mine) and two portrait sketches. I've been shying away from backgrounds for forever, and now my environments suffer significantly (it's on the to do list). The portraits are "off" and I can't put my finger on it--tomorrow when I sit down I'm going to flip the images as I go and see if that helps me out. Um, I have a million other things I want to nitpick at but it's now past midnight and way past bedtime.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lily! welcome to CA
    Youve definitely got a good eye, these are looking nice!
    good on you for getting into the grind. i picked up a pen for the first time in yonks on Jan1 this year and im really enjoying myself. It really feels like after 6 weeks odd my hand is loosening up, my lines are less scatchy and what was really hard before just isnt so much. the only ting for it is to keep hammering it!
    Good luck, looking forward to more from you!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's some good work.

In the second picture though, the elf in profile, it looks as if the back of his head is missing. Other than that, your anatomy is solid.

Keep up the daily's(?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Velocity: Thank you! I'm excited to be here I'm looking forward to being prolific again and getting my line quality back under control. My hand shakes and cramps after only a couple of hours now, it's frustrating.

@Demotyme: Thanks for taking a look! I hadn't noticed the head issue (now it's all I'll see), I'm a noob Time to sketch a bunch of heads

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your attitude is commendable and inspiring! It's all about determination.

In my opinion your rendering seems to be much farther along than your construction and line, so those are the things I'd focus on. Quick gesture and anatomy studies from life (or photos to a lesser extent), can do wonders.

Welcome to CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start so far. Good to see your deciding to mix up your style

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, it's good to see people pursuing their goals.

Break down your future goal as being a concept artist in smaller steps, ask yourself the questions of what skills you need. Don't only think about faces figures, as everybody wants to do those. Environments, vehicles and animal designs are also a big part of it all.

I'd also take a small sketchbook with me if I were you so that you can excel your drawing skills anywhere you go!

keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening!

Thank you to everyone who stopped by and left their thoughts. I was kind of nervous all morning anticipating the comments I would get..

I didn't have the time to do a speedpaint today after all. I did get some work done on a concept for this week's CHOW (which I am very excited to participate in). My submission is the God of Obsolescence--ridiculed and yet feared in the technological pantheon. He's looking a little busy right now with the death imagery and, um, vhs sandals . I'm thinking I'll take the rabbit ears off the scythe and leave it looking supernatural to at least give some hint to his supposed godhood. Little tweaks still coming to me as I think of them, it looks like his left leg is too long.. oh my perspective is all over the place.. I need to sleep on it and see what else I find tomorrow morning.

Then there's some kitsune lady I felt like drawing and might eventually color, since without the red hair I was planning she's not very kitsune-y. Nothing technically impressive, I just needed to loosen up and relax before bed.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice line quality for a sketch on your God of Obsolescence, flows really well.

Made any progress on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.