The reilly method.......

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

The reilly method.......

i just bought the anatomy issue from imaginefx and was reading about the Reilly method. is it really this hard or does the magazine do a bad job of instructing it.

ive been drawing since i was three, all self taught and still learning. i draw using reference for the human figure but when it comes time for me to draw the human anatomy from the imagination i hit a wall.thats why i want to learn some "construction" ways to draw the body.

i recognize my anatomy skills are off and i do studies as much as i can and ive stepped it up recently.hence me buying this issue..but im not sure this is gonna help or set me back as iam use to doing things a different way.

i guess in short iam asking is it better to hone your own specific way of doing things or follow a structured way of doing something ? like the Reilly method. prolly both...

sorry for the long useless post here.iam a bit tired.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, I don't really know what the Reily method is, but if you find it so hard to understand how about just getting an anatomy book that shows another approach?
    A lot of people use Loomis' books.

Thanks
    Don't get too hung up on the idea of "which method/direction is more efficient."
    You'll end up stalling at every fork in the road and never get anywhere.

Last edited by Phight; February 23rd, 2011 at 06:13 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In the end, they're really just guides for you to have some sort of anchor points in which to base your figures. If you're just gonna copy figures without understanding the points, when the time comes that you'll have to make your own figures, you wouldn't know where goes what because you won't have a basis on where the anchor points will be. That's why you're struggling when you're trying to draw from imagination because you don't have the foundation yet.

I got the ImagineFX's anatomy book as well and the Reilly method helped me establish where goes what. I've always drawn from imagination, so I used to only guess how a body part will go for a pose. But reading the book and the methods really helped me have at least have some sort of a grasp on the structure of a figure and how they should relate to each other. The great thing is that you can study a method and use it interchangeably with another as long as you understand how they work. There's really no right or wrong method. As long as you're comfortable with one, stick with it. I'm trying to study the Reilly method and the industrial design. I feel that I'll benefit more with each method I study.

Thanks
    If you're following techniques from books like a recipe you're never going to quite grasp it correctly. Use them as a guide but make what you do your own technique that's the only one that will really work for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Take a look at this

http://ennisart.blogspot.com/

THE REILLY PAPERS

Art Lessons from the hand-written lecture notes of Frank J. Reilly by John Ennis.

Thanks
    thanks for all the input. thats what i need is to combine my own style with the building blocks of anatomy so i can get the proportions of the human body down. if i can wrap my head around a few of these ideas i might be able to do just that.

Thanks
    after idk 4 days of just doing studies ive come to the conclusion that i think i might of already known.its all great and dandy for each artist to use tips and techniques of other artist and such but they (me) have to keep true to their "style" of art.what may work for one might not work for the other.its our jobs as individuals to stay true to ourselves but also take in what we learn from others and combine them with the way we work. in the grand scheme of things its never bad to have as many tools in your "art box" as humanly possibly. practice makes perfect and never should be neglected and the same goes for your style.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    I think you'd have to read the Higgins and the Faragasso books before you could really make a decision on Reilly.

[Myself, I haven't read/bought them yet. But, I'm looking forward to doing so in the not so distant future.]

Those appear to be the best coverage of Reilly unless you can find a workshop by a student of his lineage-- probably in SoCal, Chicago, or NYC.

Thanks
    i havent thrown any techniques out, i just think adapting them to the way you work is best. i could be wrong though. however i will continue working on studies in hopes of improving my anatomy skills.

Members who have read this thread: 9