Getting into Art School as a Homeschooler

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Getting into Art School as a Homeschooler

Hi, I'm kinda new (note the lack of avatar). Anyway I was home-schooled and, while I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world, I am a little worried about how it will affect my ability to be accepted into one of the art schools I want to go to (SCAD, MCAD, or SVA for sequential arts).

I've been taking art classes at a community college to build up a portfolio, but I'm worried that the big art colleges (especially SCAD because that is my first choice) might not let me in because my diploma is not "official" or because I'm not a "state certified home-schooler."

Another thing is most of my older siblings got into the schools they wanted and they were pretty prestigious, (Hillsdale college, Grand Valley State University) but I'm unsure that an art school will accept me because none of my older siblings went for art.

Are there any other formerly home-schooled art school attendees out there with tips on how you got in?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have a GED? I imagine they need some sort of proof of high school equivalence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, and I know many home-schoolers who have gotten into colleges without them, just not into the art schools I want to go to as none of the home-schoolers I know ever tried.

The colleges' websites all have sections in their admissions guidelines talking about home-schoolers, except for MCAD.

I just want to know about other former home-schooled students experiences with art school admissions.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it will be any problem. If you have specific questions, contact the school's admissions office, that's what they're there for.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, former home-schooler here! I managed to get accepted to Parsons, RISD and Pratt with no trouble (ended up choosing Parsons...) They even offered me scholarships, so I guess there weren't any objections.

Basically if you pass the GED, that usually covers your "official" credentials. The most important thing is having a good portfolio; being able to list a lot of impressive art-education-oriented activities doesn't hurt either - if you've been taking community college classes, those should make you look pretty good. (That's what I did, too - I took a bunch of local art workshops, community college classes, joined life drawing groups, did an art summer camp, and so forth.)

I don't know if the schools you're applying for still ask for SAT scores or results from similar tests, but if they do, getting a good score there can also help a lot. (I spent a fair amount of my pre-college time cramming for the SATs.) Good scores on the GED and SATs can help make up for not having had any "grades" in your education (we didn't do grading in our house, it was pretty free-form.)

But most importantly... ROCK THE PORTFOLIO!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you, that really helps. I'm planning on putting my portfolio together once I finish the figure drawing class that I am taking now, and getting my applications out for the 2012 school year over the summer.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.