Imposing Mammoth- Finishing stretch. Let the beast lie.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Imposing Mammoth- Finishing stretch. Let the beast lie.

I've been doing some projects for an indie development team. They provide me with new things to paint and give me deadlines, and this has helped immensely over the past week or so. I find that I'm trying out new things and having a lot of fun working with them. But I've recently been asked to paint a mastodon.

He needs to be threatening, but still show a good deal of the form and the body. This is what I've come up with, after a few hours of roughing out.

I'm really concerned about the creature's anatomy. I worked out a structure to act as a "coat hanger" for the hair, but found that I was correcting things late in the game as far as proportions go. I'm afraid his hind legs might have become a little small or that there are easy issues I'm just not seeing. Re-constructing the skull was fun, but it looks a little big? I'm not used to looking at elephants and mastodons .

EDIT: THUMBNAIL UPDATED

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Quigleyer; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Quig.

Whenever I see/imagine an super angry elephant, it seems that they're flapping their ears, trunk is up and/or are on their rear legs about to squash their victims. Here it looks like he's sneering/glaring at the guy. Also maybe he should be bigger to be more imposing, since he's a mastodon?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kya Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This pic always comes to mind when I think of mammoths/mastodons

It's only now looking at it that I wondered what the heck his back leg is doing...I guess he's pulling himself up.

Maybe he could be a bit more dynamic? Stepping forward?
    Second image I think of would be Frazettas mammoth, which I'm sure you've seen/have. But in that instance only the head is visible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what references you've got, and the perspective makes things a little difficult to judge too; but the head, at least, seems too tall and domed for a mastodon, and more mammoth-like. Mastodons were a little lower overall and sloped down from the shoulders. Check it out.

Perhaps fix the width and length of the legs too. They were obviously thick and columnar, but in my experience thick-legged animals tend to be easy to exaggerate, if you're not careful. Overall, go look for references of mounted Mammut americanum skeletons and living elephants.

Last edited by Vermis; February 21st, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I don't know what references you've got, and the perspective makes things a little difficult to judge too; but the head, at least, seems too tall and domed for a mastodon, and more mammoth-like. Mastodons were a little lower overall and sloped down from the shoulders. Check it out.
    WHAT? Are you serious? I thought a Mammoth and a Mastodon were the same thing. I had no idea there were two different animals...

What I want is a Mammoth, then. I'll change the thread title, thank you for the information and the advice . I'm probably just gonna do a few poses, it's not like I've done any REAL work on it.

Star Eater- I originally was trying something a little more dynamic, but I heard somewhere (saw on a National Geographic thing) that if an elephant puts weight on it's leg with it bent it could break it. They always hit the ground with their front legs straight, apparently. See how they straighten it right before they put weight on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOE7dTuLCiU&NR=1 ? I still want to do something more dynamic, but I'm having a hard time. Maybe I could make him charging?

Originally the first thing I thought of was Frazetta's Mammoth. That piece is pretty sweet, but I always thought it was a little less dynamic than Frazetta probably thought it was.

Kya- originally I had his snout up, but it became hard to compositionally justify. Maybe I'll just do up a few poses and maybe try to play with where that could go.

Last edited by Quigleyer; February 22nd, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I think Vermis just gave me a basic natural history lesson/reminder as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about this one?

I think it could be cool...

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, that middle sketch is great. I like how he is tilted, and his front leg is up. His head is also just a little tilted. And with all the dust...oh yeah...I foresee some sweetness.

Good work quig

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely, I second what Artfix said. It's got movement, weight and looks really good.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DO IT! DO IT!! This is going to be awesome!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kya Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like it would be cool to have the mammoth rearing up on its back legs, sun just behind its shoulder. Of all the poses I have see elephant like creatures in, nothing is worse that five tones of angry mammal about to come crashing down on you.
    Unless that five tones is also backed up by gravity and a temper, then thats the worst.
    Just my thoughts.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

Artfix, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm really glad that you liked it... sometimes that just happens. You start sketching, get to like sketch 4 and BAM, feel like somethings up. Then you can't sketch anymore cus you keep looking at the one you just did. I hope I made the right decision in moving on from there . Please come back and tell me what you think as this progresses.

Star Eater, thanks for vote of confidence as well. I'm a little concerned about how it translates into the drawing I'm about to present, but I think it'll work. I found an awesome visual reference (though it appears to be done by another artist...?) and it helped make a little more sense of the pose. I still think the back leg is too vertical, and I should slant it with the body more. Like he's throwing his weight at the guy who'll be in the foreground.

Hey Kyra, thanks. I will do it . I hope!

Duman, I've got an understanding with the guy that both pieces will be finished, but I'm going to make modifications to the first. Since I'm working on one, I think I can take some risks with the other... and never use it in my portfolio if I don't wanna . Stay tuned, cus I might play with some of the things you discussed.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, please does anyone know the artist who painted this? Their hard work helped me make some of the last minute decisions (Check out the elephant on the far left, I actually think I figured out some of it pretty well, but the front leg is probably going to stay the way I drew it) and I need to properly credit him/her with the help.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda squaring off, I guess.

I think structure might have gotten a little wonky, but I'm always adjusting my shapes. After the lines are gone I need to be carefulll (which is now) so I don't blow everything out totally. The head is gonna get some adjustments and draw-throughs.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey quigs, what brush do you use to give everything that sort of brush stroke/sharp edge? Is it a regular round with some setting tweaks or do you have a custom there too?

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Quig, sorry I'm coming into this pretty late, but I'll go off of your latest WIP.
    I think it's looking good there (though the mammoth's face is looking a little human facey). Now I don't have any references to offer you, just the picture in my head, and I think it would work well for exactly what you have now. What if you tried strongly tilting the mammoth's head (so trunk moves closer to the canvas) and perhaps also bowing his head down some, to give him a real berserker "I'm 'bout to bitch smack the hell outta you with this here trunk" look (the trunk would be flailing towards the edge of the canvas), sort of similar to a crazy rodeo bull rearing and charging? I think this would work nicely into your picture since the victim to be trounced is over to the side, so it would give the mammoth a really strong sideways (from our perspective) potential energy.

Maybe I'll try it myself once I get home from work.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant see any of the images since the sketch page but I guess its just me. I'll check again later.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    Hey quigs, what brush do you use to give everything that sort of brush stroke/sharp edge? Is it a regular round with some setting tweaks or do you have a custom there too?
    Artfix actually posted a link to some brushes that I use now, just a little while back. The really sharp edges come from using the unsharpen mask filter, which I do before I post. I usually use a combination of unsharp mask and gaussian blue (sandwiching a "normal" layer) and erase away at the end to help tend to my more needy edges.

The brush set was called Tower of Evil and I'm generally using a variant of "good brush". Unless I'm in painter, then it's luck of the draw and some oil pastels . Download is on the last page towards the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by wooblood View Post

Maybe I'll try it myself once I get home from work.
    Wooblood, if you would be interested in doing that I would appreciate it. This piece is a lot more delicate than my normal pieces (where I just slop paint around) as I'm not as familiar with the structures before me.

EDIT AGAIN: Dude, Wooblood. You're totally right. EVEN in the ears, it looks kind of like a human head. Wow. Thanks man. gotta work on that .

And speaking of the structures before me, where the hell is Lhune ?

EDIT: uh oh, IMG tag time . At least for Artfix !

Imposing Mammoth- Finishing stretch.  Let the beast lie.

Last edited by Quigleyer; February 22nd, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really good Quig, nice to see the drawing develop from quite a static scene to a full action scene!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Wozza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's just a quickie attempt to inject some more energy/movement/dynamism into it. Like I said, for the most part all I did was tilt the head. You could maybe even try it more extremely. I also did some slight dehumanizing on the face but I'm sure you're on top of that. I had to shift the mammoth over to the center some just to give his flailing trunk some room to breathe.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's totally better. thanks man.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's looking a lot better, doesn't look like a human so much anymore! For your background... why is the left side darker than the right side when the light source is on the left

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown67 View Post
    that's looking a lot better, doesn't look like a human so much anymore! For your background... why is the left side darker than the right side when the light source is on the left
    Dust. Really it's like that to make his body pop, but It'll be dusty and smoky.

Here's where wooblood's example got me .

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here's where it leaves off for the day. I'm gonna spend time on the other one now.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally looking sweet so far, Quig. That head turn suggested by wooblood really sold the Mammoth's "charge"!

I don't mean to distract the thread from the subject at hand - but what method do YOU use to 'glaze' color over your black and white painting digitally? I ask because I'm truly enjoying the results in progress.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    Totally looking sweet so far, Quig. That head turn suggested by wooblood really sold the Mammoth's "charge"!

I don't mean to distract the thread from the subject at hand - but what method do YOU use to 'glaze' color over your black and white painting digitally? I ask because I'm truly enjoying the results in progress.
    There's never been any REAL method to it. I generally start with either a multiply layer at 70%(is) or a color layer of around the same opacity. Like, this time I started with a really dark brown (found a lot on the mammoth), did a paint bucket on the whole thing. Then I chose my light color- yellow/orange (much higher value) and applied a layer over the lights. Then I took a color layer and painted in the mid-tones, so they'd contain the greatest saturation- as I have observed often when painting from life. The real trick is the understanding that you can reduce the opacity and play around with layering to "mix" the colors. Then you have to paint over it, or else it won't look "right".

I often have a hard time glazing over paintings to color at a later stage of value development. I convinced the guy in charge of the project that I should color it a bit late, but the process was pretty much the same.

Keep in mind what your layer's do:

-Soft light is great for pulling out masses of light and creating more variation between your value separations
    -Multiply is great for pushing in masses of shadow/adding rich/saturated colors. Can be used over an entire image and "pulled away" in certain areas (with an eraser tool, or a lighter valued color). By far the layer I use the most when painting, other than the default layer.
    -Color is great for manipulating hues and saturations

Those are really the three I use most often. I've heard of a lot of people with overlay and screen layers, but I generally don't use these. Hope that helped, I'll try to provide some sort of additional information next time I do it.

A lot of times I try to mature the palette as the painting goes. There's no NEED for a lot of different color choices, and sometimes I find it helpful to develop them as I need them. Sometimes they come late in the game. Color theory is still your best friend !

I'm also a little concerned about the form of the mammoth. Luckily I took tomorrow off.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    I've been doing some projects for an indie development team. They provide me with new things to paint and give me deadlines, and this has helped immensely over the past week or so. I find that I'm trying out new things and having a lot of fun working with them. But I've recently been asked to paint a mastodon.

He needs to be threatening, but still show a good deal of the form and the body. This is what I've come up with, after a few hours of roughing out.

I'm really concerned about the creature's anatomy. I worked out a structure to act as a "coat hanger" for the hair, but found that I was correcting things late in the game as far as proportions go. I'm afraid his hind legs might have become a little small or that there are easy issues I'm just not seeing. Re-constructing the skull was fun, but it looks a little big? I'm not used to looking at elephants and mastodons .

his legs seem to thick like they wouldnt be able to move. sort of like when kids make plasticine creatures with massive legs to stand up. I don't know if thats proper anatomy or not for a "mastodon" but going by this picture it looks like it would have a hard time moving with those. Every else looks like a good start though!

EDIT: I was reffering to your first pic, the others look better.

Last edited by them_apples; February 23rd, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to them_apples For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So the guy didn't like the new head very much.

It's okay, I'm fine with this. How long til I start putting shapes on the guy? I wonder myself.

That red is specifically there to mix with guys, I promise it won't stay that red.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, here's where the latest version is.

They've had me working on some other stuff also, to try and get ready for the "going online" phase of the project.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.