Bamboo forest: flat flat flat...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bamboo forest: flat flat flat...

I don't know why but I feel my paintings always come out looking too flat, I don't know if this is because I don't use dramatic enough lighting or whether I just can't do backgrounds... If I draw a single element without a background then it does look 3d but as soon at I add in the background it becomes flat

Anyway this is the piece I just did for the teen challenge and I'd really like to know how I could improve next time. I rushed the horse and figure because the deadline was close but I really do struggle with people anyway Thank you (:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What was your process for working on this piece? Did you add the background as an after-thought or was it a part of the piece to begin with? Also, did you paint this directly or did you use thumbnails/roughs to start with and help plan your composition?

If I squint at your painting, nothing is really catching my attention value wise nor do I see any real separation amongst foreground/middle/background. The gray of the dragon and the gray of the forest behind him is very very similar and the only really bright, white objects are the pearl and the man's shirt. Everything flattens out to a dark shade of gray with near blacks in many places. I took your painting and put it into Photoshop and desaturated it to illustrate this point:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I start with a rough line drawing with no values and then block the base colours in gradually adding the shading and textures as I go. I always thought the background would be a bamboo forest but I didn't add it until the dragon was about 50% complete. I just painted it directly which is probably silly but I'm really impatient

I know what you mean about the values that's why it looks flat but I'm always too scared to use really contrasting lights and darks in case it's too much. I really need to get out of bad habits here haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not that you need to use more contrast; it's that you need to use the right amount of contrast for the level of depth. Typically the closer objects will have the highest range of values, and as they move back there is a smaller range of value. Also, try putting lighter foreground on a dark background or vice-versa; you need to show that these are on different planes.

I did a very quick paint over; I lightened and reduced the range of values on the background, but I gave objects in the foreground a wider range of value (mostly by adding highlights since it was very dark to begin with).

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  122.7 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah wow that looks a lot better already! I'll see if I can edit the final piece and I'll bear that in mind with my next painting (: thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.