Breaking the rules!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Breaking the rules!

Howdy CA Discussion Boards…..

A little thing has come up in which I’d like to discuss with the panel ( meaning anybody & everybody). The issue is LIGHT and it’s use, or non use as to say.

Now, although there are certain rules to be followed when creating artwork my personal opinion is not to become a slave to all of the rules. That said, I once heard an art teacher tell a student, “ Use your artistic license” when faced with an issue that concerned light. I thought about what was said and came up with the notion that creating art (unlike photography) allows you at some point to break the rules.

One’s light source can be how they want it to be as long as it helps and furthers the art along. Maybe just my opinion I guess, but I tend to create stuff with a concentrated “spotlight” from directly above. I can also have an alternative light source coming from somewhere else but the main source is directly above and slightly to the right or left of the interaction of the work. This helps to get the feel and mood of what I’m trying to express.

I am posting below an image by a well known and respected artist that, in my judgment broke the light rule. The light from the full moon in front should be casting a very deep shadow on the main point of interest. The figure from the light should be so dark in shadow that you should be able to only see it in outline. I mentioned this in the discussion room of another art forum and was simply told that the image could be taking place on another world or another dimension. All true!! So my suggestion is that you can break the rules, somewhat, as long as you stay true to the artwork and do it creatively. Sometime barriers are meant to be crossed. JMO…..Bruce.

RIP Frank, you brought me to worlds I would have never dreamed existed.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Frazetta always could get away with anything because he was so good at subordination of the elements to the idea. On the other hand this guy has placed a lightsource between the elephant and the figures with less than stellar results.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dpaint…..lol

That or either there’s a full moon on the left and a campfire for cooking on the right. Funny, but I always thought that the T-man preferred his chimpanzees raw!

BP

I kinda like Boris….but Frank is totally THE MAN!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boris is a better illustrator than I will ever be; doesn't fix that picture though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In this one it looks like Frazetta used light strictly to emphasize her chest. As if it even NEEDS the help! My gosh!

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Frazetta always could get away with anything because he was so good at subordination of the elements to the idea. On the other hand this guy has placed a lightsource between the elephant and the figures with less than stellar results.
    But can't you see it's obviously a supernatural elephant rising out of a glowing ectoplasmic fog!

Eh, artistic license... sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

Renaissance artists are fun to look at in that vein, they take all kinds of license with both light and space to get their point across... In the better paintings, it works so well you don't even notice it at first. (And then again, in some paintings it all turns to chaos...)

And of course there's any number of night scenes throughout art history with completely unnatural stage lighting thrown in so you can see what's going on.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The crucial distinction here is that Frazetta's picture is "getting light that shouldn't exist" because the picture is happening at night. Our intellects tell us that light wouldn't be there because this is earth, and at night the sun goes down.

But our intellects aren't what Frazetta is engaging (either in himself or us), and the intellect isn't all its cracked up to be anyhow. A nude girl in the jungle at night, warm light coming from above: Is it a campfire in a treehouse, a torch light off screen, a second moon that is orange, the symbolic light of our interest... What Frazetta has done, by virtue of his imagination is add mystery, and maybe fantasy, through the introduction of an unexpected light source. Once introduced, this fantasy is evidenced in all the ways it would be if it were reality. It thus becomes justified. He takes the fantasy and makes it real. That is his greatest talent in all his pictures.

The second picture has elements that falsify each other, rather than justify. Which means the artist did not conceive the scene as something that is real, rather something constructed from scrap and reference. He has taken two realities and stuck them together to create a falsity.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Behold! The elephant in the living room that we're not supposed to talk about.

Shit! I dropped my IPhone. . .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah...Frazetta was never about the light really...so yeah, some rules can be broken for sure.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Kev, you have perfectly nailed that down. A brilliant explanation.

I used to kinda like Vallejo... until I saw Frazetta. Then it was painfully obvious that Vallejo is a rather poor knock-off.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He may not be a Frazetta, but Boris is a professional. He's also a nice guy who is quite gracious about everything.

Maybe in 1970 it looked like he was ripping Frazetta, but in retrospect, his work looks like Boris.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=kev ferrara;3038150]He may not be a Frazetta, but Boris is a professional. He's also a nice guy who is quite gracious about everything.
    QUOTE]

Plus he and Julie can kick everyones ass on this site...

Last edited by dpaint; February 24th, 2011 at 06:57 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.