Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leon's frame by frame galore

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Leon's frame by frame galore

Smashed_Pumpkin had this amazing idea of making a sketchbook thread for animation, and I for one approve, and will follow too. Except I'm gonna start from my crappy badly captured and basics of the traditional days (my school always had issues with broken capturing stations or they were badly set)

Like I said, badly captured >,>

And the good ol' flour sack. Almost everyone goes through this one. Again, badly captured.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Capture issues aside, these look pretty cool! The flour sack is actually my favorite.

How old are these?

You guys are making me feel like I should start a thread too. Not a bad idea at all, actually.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaphkiel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Those are about 2 years old. After that I started working digitally.

This was my process for that one. I've yet to master the art of using a chart to guide my way through, I kinda just draw out all my keyframes and then go along from there.

Flash kept crashing on me close to the deadline, rushed as all hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are... AWESOME! Gotta say your traditional stuff is really good. Epecially the pillow one. Oh and the digital stuff your last one aswell, really good. Somewhat maybe 1 or 2 too many frames in that one but im just being picky now. Great stuff.

Edit: Oh and i too think the sketchook animation idea is good. I will be updating my existing thread with new stuff too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Northtouch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man. Yea I had that issue with the guy jumping the cliffs, too many frames near the beginning.

Dude, do it. I actually wanna see what you can do with other animation programs. You already animated in PS, and that's a pain in the ass to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic looking stuff! Good animating always survives a poor line tester and you'rs certainly has survived. Great to see you start an Animation Sketchbook, I think the more people we can get doing it the better.

The sneeze and yawn are brilliant, I love the looseness to them. How long and to what level have you studied animation?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot man.

I started doing it on my own about 5 years ago (you should see those, they are horrrriiiible) then I signed up for school about 2 years ago and only got up to Intermediate 2D level. I was about to start a 3D intro, but long story short, a car accident kinda ruined it for me.

The good thing is that I've had plenty of time to look at my own mistakes in all aspects of my work and try to fix them. So in a way, the best thing that could've happen to me was breaking my back, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more stuff I did.

I wasnt particularly happy with this one. I liked the concept on paper, but I couldnt keep the little girl on model. She also doesnt seem like she's struggling with the box. Fairly happy with the strong man though.

Lip Sync and acting test, audio is from the masterpiece movie 'The Room'

And this one I made about 3 or so weeks ago and it's fairly rough. I storyboarded the whole short, but decided to run with this scene to see if I could actually commit to animating the whole thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy those drawn-paper tests that you did, and I am also respectful of you doing frame-by-frame directly in flash. (I don't have a problem with tweened cutouts, but most of the time it doesn't look good.) Plus, you had the balls to animate to an existing soundbyte, which again I don't have a problem with. In fact, I got a laugh out of it.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a ton man, yea I'm not into the weening/bone structure flash animations. They are too static for me. I'll try to get more stuff done coming these next weeks. I need to get a few things done first.

Also thinking of doing that leap into 3D, might have to get Maya first, since all the rigs seem to be made for Maya only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool stuff! I like the sneeze a lot! You have a interesting style!! ^^

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lundkaon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks. I'm gonna start working on more soon, dont wanna get rusty, need to get better.

You should post yours too, I saw your mouse animation some time ago, it was great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Yess, I'll be looking forward to more from you!

And, thank you! I haven't posted my animations because I don't think they are good enough yet and I still don't really know how things work on the forum. I will comment a little, see how things work here, make some decent animation and then post. haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Works looking good Pleon, I like the robot character. What you mentioned with regard to him is very true, it's very easy to have a great idea of an epic animation and then get hit by the realisation of what it would require to animate. I've done that several times already where I end up with a few seconds of good animation followed by the remaining animation in key frames.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Pumpkin View Post
    Works looking good Pleon, I like the robot character. What you mentioned with regard to him is very true, it's very easy to have a great idea of an epic animation and then get hit by the realisation of what it would require to animate. I've done that several times already where I end up with a few seconds of good animation followed by the remaining animation in key frames.
    Thats happened to me many times now too. I think its always best to start slow. While you learn new things you get better at the old, then by the time you realise you can do all those things you wanted to do in the past without struggle.

As for the animations PLeon, I gotta say they are very good. I couldnt draw in flash (not that i cant draw), i just cant handle that brush and the anti-aliasing it does or whatever its called. When i did the walk cycles i just used the line tool to create the shapes. Thats what gives it that "perfect line" look. But you actually did a pretty good job with the brush on its own. The robot is definatly a cool animation sequence.

Oh and i to dont like tweens and such. Thats for noobs lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sneeze is great

I think the yawn could be longer and exaggerated!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That yawn gave me so much trouble. Yea I should go back and redo it.

I'm working on the 11 second club challenge for March. Blocked my major poses and some in-betweening. though I feel youtube kinda messed it up. the timing doesnt look right, some frames seem missing. oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I made the turnarounds and everything, but I may be putting that on hold. I'm gonna be doing the monthly challenge at 11 Second Club, http://www.11secondclub.com/competitions/current/ (totally advertising this. you should join Smashed) and another very short one for practice/portfolio.
    I usually work on drawing challenges at CGHub.com, but it's hard to get any feedback over there. everybody wants crits, but give none, so I think I'll skip this month on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like some of your poses, and it's good to see the roughs. Have you thought about posting your thumbnails before going to animation? My concern is that in a few places you are pantomiming exactly what the character is talking about - the chatty cathy bit and pull string. You generally want to avoid those types of direct indicators unless you have a very specific reason. (the 11 second club actually has a great video about it in the resources area.) That being said, I really like how you've got some acting in the pauses - like when he rests his arm on the chair, before adding one last insult.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are right, I was trying hard to avoid indicators and I fell on one. I sat down and acted out the whole thing, at the time it seemed like a good idea. Back to the board again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happens to all of us. also, I'm thinking about maybe getting into Maya too. It looks like on their website the program is free to use for students/faculty.

Hrm. out of curiosity, why not just try pulling out the indicators, and working in your remaining poses?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some more work on this. I stopped right before the beginning of the "Chatty Cathy doll" moment, I'm still not sure if I wanna take it out, or if I can find a way to work around it.

On the subject of Maya though, I'm sure the student version might be limited, as long as the animation menus arent though, that's fine. I still havent touched it though, I should man up and get it over with, I'm taking an intro to 3D class next month, I dont wanna show up unprepared.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may have to check that out. (Maya.) And why worry about being familiar with it for an intro class? Intro is intro!

My concerns regarding your posing still stands. Although it's visually entertaining to see that it's Batman and Robin, I think the casting may work against your acting choices. Batman usually isn't portrayed so broad, and now you're dealing with other people's expectations of a character.

Do you want to work around the posing to keep it because you feel it's appropriate, or because you don't want to change it?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I mean, I dont wanna suck in an intro class either. It happened in a 3D modeling class, I was terrrrriiiiiiiiiible, it was slightly embarrassing.

But I do agree that I definitely pulled a lot of indicators. Is not that I dont want to change it, dont get me wrong, I'll change it so it can work, I do like it the way it is though, but I just honestly dont know how to fix it. I thought using Batman/Robin would be fun, both because I'm a huge fan, and because you'd think they would have this conversation one day (seriously, Robin talks too freaking much) I posted it in the 11 seconds forum, but the only one that replied, did it with broken english and wasnt very clear. What do you suggest I should do though?

I havent shown it to my mentor, but I'll ask him for some feedback on how I can work on this. I still have a lot of time before the deadline. Thanks for your honest critique

I live in Louisiana, near New Orleans, about an hour away.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of your work is excellent. I just got Adobe flash and I've been working on frame by frame animation as well. But I do have a question for you, how do you get the lines to stay so clean?

I can draw very well, but when I do it digitally on my wacom tablet, it gets jagged and uneven between the frames. Your lines look very precise and I was wondering if you've done touch up work with lines or paths or something.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Chosen Simba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man. I get that issue on photoshop, unless I zoom in like 200-300 percent. The one thing I like about Flash (it's a love/hate thing actually) is that all your lines are vector base, so they will look clean no matter what. However, the pencil took is a pain in the ass, so I just use the brush tool, and turn on the pressure sensitivity option. I feel that works a lot better for me.

@Rabbit_run - About the rant on my previews post, disregard that if you read it, haha. I got it now, I know how to fix it now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rant? Must have missed it!

I'd say post this update on the 11 second club forum and see if you get any additional interest. (And you've already done the work, so why not?)

And now I wanna know which Robin you are talking about (considering there's been..four, yeesh.)

You're drawing with a tablet? yeouch. Paper's a better way to go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Works looking good PLeon, sorry I haven't been on here in a while, been super busy with my current project. I personally quite like the acting out of what he's saying in that scene you posted. The fact that it's quite a comical line of dialogue makes the crime of acting out what he's saying a lot less serve.

As for learning Maya, just jump in and play around. As far as I know there is no limitation to the education version, it's just the license that is limited. In that you can't use it for commercial stuff. If you've never used Maya before then just start by making a polygon sphere and then move it around. Use "S" with the sphere selected to set key frames in conjunction with the time-slider. Once you've given it some motion jump right into the graph editor and have a play with how the software in-betweens the movements. Getting a feel for the way the computer interprets the keys you set is far more important than any complex technical stuff that you'll pick up when learning anyway.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried working on a bouncing ball with Maya. It looked like shit, I couldnt figure out how to hold certain frames, and I kept looking for an "export video" option of some kind, but didnt find it. UGH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey PLeon!

What's the exact problem with exporting?

You know that you need to export it as an image sequence? Then import this sequence into after effects. There you can adjust the frame rate and add some effects and lastly render it as a quicktime or whatever.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.