CHoW#234:: Gods of Media and Technology - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#234:: Gods of Media and Technology

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    im giving up, it sucks T_T maybe its time to concentrate on something else!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parsakoira It most defiantly doesn't suck! Now go and get yourself a caffinated bevrage such as coke or coffee, stock up on inspiration food (Like cookies ^_^), stick on some awesome music and re-open photoshop! It's only Tuesday so there's plenty of time to either fix what you think is wrong or take a stab at something else ^_^

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Throwing my hat in with the intent of making the Goddess of GMOs. I'm still thinking about it - because I decided to do this CHOW about an hour ago!

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to astillac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chow #234

Heres my take on the Goddess of Video Games. 'Bout time I did one of these...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    here is my first WIP

mine will be "Chekomosh -the God of Technical Failure and Misusage" every time that someone invented something that later turned into shit in a biblical scale, like the nuclear fission that turned into the atom-bomb or the combustion-engine which is today the worst origin of air-pollution, he had his finger in the pie. Also if something fails like a plane that crashes or when your computer has a blue-screen or even when one decides to use a knife to kill another person its the work of Chekomosh. Every technology related pollution, every failure created through or by technology every invention that led to death or misery, every discovery that resulted in destruction or failure you can be sure that Chekomosh had his fun with.

He isnt a evil god as such he simply loves to play around with these cute little human minds and to pull the strings in their faith ...for him its more or less a game ...like a little boy who burns ants with a looking glass.

Last edited by Partisan; February 22nd, 2011 at 02:41 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great idea/story partisan, i like that a lot....

on a side note, not sure if i'll finish this in time. i think i finally got a fulltime job for a social games company (i needed the money)... GOD DELIVER ME FROM EVIL.... :/ :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some very cool ideas here. I'll definitely take some time to comment tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here's my start: It's Memetia, young goddess of Internet Memes. She's a bit weird at first but she grows on you, and eventually you find her infectiously adorable. She always carries around a slightly surprised cat.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chate Noire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super cute, Chate Noire - can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an update for my first chow entry- Ipod God. it's looking overworked and akward to me, so i give up for now. bleh ._.;

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks elixy, youre right! ill have to start from scratch though, i was thinking about the evil god of piracy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Chate Noire: Ha! All your concept are belong to us!
    @Partisan: looks cool already!
    @Carnifex: Well, that's one! Excellent! :thumb:
    @vandalfish: Loving the colour scheme + mood!
    @GEB: ouh, the Jörmungandr story instills some epic visions! Hmm ...
    @Phrix: yes, like that ^^ Indeed, the half dark thingy wasn't working out all that much. So think I'll just go with light and nothingness as 0. Or maybe I'll go Matrix style and have streams of 0's and 1's or at least a bit overlayed.

Did a quick colour + lighting + value rough:

-EDIT-
    drat, too light again

Last edited by RicoD; February 22nd, 2011 at 06:05 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RicoD For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good everyone!

I tried to post, first time post ever... When can I expect it to be cleared by the moderator?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats a meme?? I feel so ignorant!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    Whats a meme?? I feel so ignorant!
    "An internet information generator, especially of random or contentless information."
    or
    "A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to mutation, crossover and adaptation."
    -http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=meme

Usually they ask people to elaborate on their fandoms or write clever, humorous sentences on a picture.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...=meme#/d136hy7
    and
    http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/o.../inception.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    difficult topic heh

parsakoira - i like yours. Its kinda weird but her eyes make me think of Oprah for some reason haha which kind of fits in with the theme

22. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "An internet information generator, especially of random or contentless information."
    or
    "A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to mutation, crossover and adaptation."
    -http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=meme

Usually they ask people to elaborate on their fandoms or write clever, humorous sentences on a picture.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...=meme#/d136hy7
    and
    http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/o.../inception.jpg
    Thanks Phrix. I've definitely seen those pictures with witty commentary before, but the other kind I dont even understand. I just cant keep up. There should be a god for helping people keep up with technology and its resulting concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chate Noir is right on topic, quirky and original. The drawing looks great too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Elixy for the awesome idea!

This is B'Sod, he is the God of Tech-Fail. B'Sod rides his Fail Whale high above the skies and roams the earth punishing those humans who are on a tight deadline and haven't saved their work for well over an hour.

Don't anger B'Sod kids, save your work!

Name:  God of Fail.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  143.7 KB

Thinking about changing the Facebook logo for something more Fail like the numbers "404"

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fdisk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youre on to something fdisk!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to noche For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: refined most of the body, added pants and metallic elements.

I think I'm also ready for critique on most of it, so if anyone has anything to say that would be lovely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW #234

Video Game Goddess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi all! tsad here! ~man there's juz too much cool ideas here. glad i pass through a chow again. and a fine challenge this is haha -herez what i managed to sketch out last night before sleep. it's like the last burst of breath for the day lol. so nothin much..

the god of chow. the great one that watches over the chow 'thread/s' as the battle ensues. he takes pleasure from all the juicy sap-ideas that the challengers excrete. although he's known as a neutral god and often let them do their things on their own.. -it is said that himself makes sure that chowerians (us) do their best job in creating and sharing the best chow art -he grant a great prize to those who can survive and gives certain consequences to those who couldn't. he's also (probably) both the guardian and the god worshiped by the queen of chow (*points at chow banner) and her people

yeah. basiclly this is inspired by all the great ideas and concepts being shown here. so credits to all u guys! tnx! ~still messy but i hope it's readable enough. em also doing this with the current cow + some other stuffz. so i doubt i can finish this in time. anywee herez the sketch

Name:  chow-god-of-media-and-tech_wip1.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  116.6 KB

Last edited by tsad; February 23rd, 2011 at 04:59 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to tsad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still more to do, but I've decided that I'm not going to let this go beyond today or I'll lose interest. Plus sitting for more than two hours at a desk murders m neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaaah! I'll have to remember limiting my Comments-to-Everyone to 2-page topics or less =)

rgeorge - interesting idea. I like the multiple arms, with each one carrying/doing something different: very much like the many facets of knowledge on the internet: informative and current, yet potentially dangerous and prone to biases. Maybe even a little more chaos would work here, creating a true chaotic mistress of the huge amounts of unordered and unclassified data on the web.

tsad - lovely idea, and it's cool you thought about both god and "worshippers"; the communication between a god and his followers is a very defining attribute. The lines in your sketch seem nice, but it's still quite early to see what exactly is going on. I'll be interested to see how you convey his "CHOW"liness.

Hocco - great pose, and the elongated proportions make for a very unique character. I'm not sure how she is related to video games, though?

OfficialLamp - printed media: very cool. Most of us went to the technological side of media, but the printed word is definitely its roots. The inky raven is a great companion, very symbollic. Maybe it can even be made of ink or of words, shedding the occasional comma as he flies around. I think you should think about the pose: what is the hand not holding the raven doing? What is you god looking at? Also, what is the significance of the metal in his outfit?

fdisk - oh man, B'Sod is evil! A definitely crucial god in the pantheon of technological phenomena. The composition looks great, and the concept of the bird-flown whale is so fitting: you just feel something is bound to go wrong an minute. I'd work a little more on his arms, which don't fit exactly the styling of the rest of the character and the illustration (your god just reminded me to save this TXT file, btw =)).

RicoD - it feels both very virtual and very spiritual, well done. Right now the buddha looks like a traditional statue with those gridlines painted over him; I hope you'll make his whole form a bit more ethereal and virtual. Also, maybe the floating images should be more symbolic manifestations of music, video, books etc? What's he holding, btw?

suhsealyuh - the clothes seem to work for an iPod god, and I like the air-guitar. Maybe if the face was 100% frontal the pose would be more natural and into the music.

Partisan - I like your idea, and it could really be a scary, dark god. Unfortunately, currently it's so dark I can hardly see the image.

astillac - pretty cool! Like a modern goddess of plenty, aided by technology and progress. I think it's very important to show both sides in the character design: the food itself, and (somehow) the technology that separates her from just any ol' goddess of the earth.

Carnifex - very nice. Everything about him says "frickin' creepy". I can just imagine the awkward silence that falls in the gods' party hall when he enters. Maybe some stronger lighting coming from the scene he's shooting?

komugurakingdom - very airy and light, which is what you'd expect of a wi-fi goddess. I think it's a lovely idea, but you should really work on the design to make the "airy and transparent" attributes work while still making the character visible and attention-grabbing in the illustration.

Bleurgh - awesome and surprising design. The ancient look of his outfit and jewelry contrasts nicely with the crazy antenna growth. I think he deserves a more dynamic pose, maybe emphasize his walking through the field, since now it looks a bit more like he's standing.

Parasakoira - love the character design; the red dress and white hair just look great. What's the idea with the dog? Is he her monthly subscription courier?

Crumbelievable - great idea, and so far the character definitely looks like its slick, soulless embodiment. I think you should move the holograms somehow so they'll still surround him, but not hide his face. Is he himself connected to all the cables on the floor? That could be cool.

MasterTroglodyte - does your god personify any specific aspet of media or tecnnology? I think it gives the feel of old futuristic tech, you know? Like Jules Verne's ideas and inventions. Maybe it can be an old god of the first steps of progress.

vandalfish - I have no idea what ecigs or epipes are, but I really like the design. She looks modern and sophisticated, but also has a traditional feel, which sound like a good combo for electronic smoking. The colors look great, and I hope you upload a bigger version next.

Phrix - the cables and multiple arms are great ideas. The combination between modern elements and the traditional-looking clothes is also interesting. It's a shame she gets cut off like that on the right and at the top.

kiwigarbage - it's definitely pretty demonic, but that's not a bad thing for a god. It reminds me of Gaiman's Sandman for some reason. I'm not sure what you mean by "Commercial News Networks" - can you give an example?

Dayle - could make for a very cool illustration, but you'll definitely have to get the pose just right: it's a tough one! Also try to think about the character itself: other than size (and the tiny aeroplane), what makes her the goddess of flight?

hunchback - the blocking look very good so far, but obviously it's hard to know what's going on. Is she sort of floating above crowds using their phones? I like the idea, it's very symbollic of cell phone communication today.

Missile - goddess of space exploration...what a wonderful idea! I love her design, it's perfect. I can imagine her floating in outer space, occasionally passing by a shuttle window, revealing herself to astronauts when their oxygen is just about to run out...beautiful.

MJ Alcazar - nice! It's a cool design and great idea, having the goddess look more or less like the current masters of social networks: a young, hip chick =) There's something a bit awkward in the way she's sitting, I think?

Pixelturner - yup, that's the interwebz alright =) Great idea. I'm thinking maybe he can have some protrusions or lumps, where the internet's growing faster and stranger than he can control.

anabanana - the colors are definitely lovely, and I like the idea of a travelling goddess (weird that both you and fdisk chose the whale; am I missing something internet-y here?...) to personify Twitter and Twitter-like services. But if you don't use it, maybe you should pick an aspect of technology or media that you are more familiar with?

Villya - very cool idea, and I think you can take it ever further with the slightly crazy teenager concept. The cables coming out of the mouth are wicked...

noche - love the pose and composition, it looks like huge wings made of newspapers. I hope you continue.

gloombunny - oh, a duel between the god of classic writing and the god of electronic paper and texting would be epic...It's a good design so far, and I'd really like to see his antiquity spilling out of every punctuation mark.

kurios - actually I think three heads are a great idea. It really conveys multi-tasking, which has become almost a necessity in new media. You should probably do some quick sketches to come up with a good angle and compsition to show the three heads as best as possible.

ryanoir - I like it! The design looks very good so far, and I think the a Photoshop god could be even heavier and burdened with more "stuff". The colors here will have to be very striking.

kissorkill - he definitely spells "hipster" with a capital H, but is this really a media/tech realm? Though honestly, I just don't get the whole hipster meme, so maybe it's something I'm missing.

H4WK - GPS god is very cool. A modern answer to old gods of roads, navigation and confusion. I think you should really consider the attributes of GPS and try to convey them within your character: what does he wear, how does he look, is he even human, what tools or devices does he carry etc.

Here's a color sketch of Memetia.

35. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Chate Noire For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input. I'd like to call her Our Lady of Utter Chaos and Intellectual Anarchy, unless someone can think of a better name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chate Noire - thanks for the comments... have a few ideas about what you said. Should have an update later tonight.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2013
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Goddess of Cell Phones

I started playing with hair styles but I think it's way too many, even if I'm trying to go for multiple avatars.

I'm still trying to narrow it down to one figure with multiple arms or a Triple-goddess, maybe with the crone using an old style phone, the mother a blue-tooth, and the maiden texting.

For the middle figure, the undersketch was to make her look more Japanese, since Japanese schoolgirls use cell phones with cute charms, and I was considering making the final deity one. The darker lines show her with more goddess-like hair, with an influence of cell phone bars.

Want to see the sort of artwork you'll be getting? Check out My Portfolio!
    Want to read about my projects and see the process? Take a peek at My Blog!
    Want to get instant updates and talk to me? Follow me on Twitter!
    Want to check out my resume and work experience? Connect with me on LinkedIn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chate Noire View Post
    Some very cool ideas here. I'll definitely take some time to comment tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here's my start: It's Memetia, young goddess of Internet Memes. She's a bit weird at first but she grows on you, and eventually you find her infectiously adorable. She always carries around a slightly surprised cat.

Double rainbow oh my god! What does this *mean*?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for comment chate noir.

when i look at your gorgous piece, only thing that pops is the bear looks like it's holding the girls bag

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll post an WIP of my concept in a bit but I HAD to share this with you. I was looking for an animal I could use to show 'Viral Media' and found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-opyE2AeU

Evil Hedgehog Control Screen, Fireplace for Kittens and Computer Screen for Bunnies are my fave ^_^

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1