Sudden Arrival
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sudden Arrival

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sudden Arrival

Just got my Intuos4 last this week and this is my first finished illustration. I tried to sketch out and formulate the concept as much as I could. I am comfortable with this as a first attempt but am looking for critique.

A failed point to point teleport, direct into freefall.

There are many very talented artists on CA, some pointers no matter how miniscule would be appreciated. I see also a lot of speed sketching and I wonder what brushes are used I never seem to be able to get the texture I want. Maybe I am not using the PS brush engine to its fullest.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ephdi; February 20th, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's very, very obvious that you are not thinking of space and structures in space. You're just guessing where everything should be, and not guessing right.

You need to practice structural drawing and perspective. Don't think about the canvas as a flat thing to make marks on; think of it as a scene in space. Sculpt with your pencil.

This particular thing also needs more atmospheric haze, better textures, more precise lighting, some attention to anatomy etc. etc. etc.

In short, back to the basics with you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input Arenhaus. I definitely put a lot of guesswork into this. Honestly if I had started reading through CA before I started I might never have posted it. I do think its good know where I stand.

I have a long way to go I see now, at least now I know there are resources for learning available here. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a good idea, i think selling the idea that he was just teleported and push that semi-transparency a little more will help a lot. maybe add some soft green glow around the body. also something to add drama might be to add some big shadows being cast by the structures, look at some refs of Egypt and the large structures how they dominate the landscape. keep on painting!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.