What Do You Think of Abstract Art? - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone else see a difference between 'Abstract Art" and 'abstraction in art' ?
    And what if 'Art' is not a noun, but a verb? Not a thing made, but the act of making it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bill618 View Post
    Though a little brief and a little vague around the edges, how did you forge that out of what I did say?
    Judging by the name of the thread I assumed the discussion was about abstract art, not "art with a note attached". What you're talking about is far from a necessary aspect of abstract painting. And one of the core aspects of post modernism is the idea that the intention of the artwork is more important than the execution. (Whereas abstract art at its core is about creating a visually pleasing/stimulating painting without refering to any realistic visual experience.)

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Judging by the name of the thread I assumed the discussion was about abstract art, not "art with a note attached". What you're talking about is far from a necessary aspect of abstract painting. And one of the core aspects of post modernism is the idea that the intention of the artwork is more important than the execution. (Whereas abstract art at its core is about creating a visually pleasing/stimulating painting without refering to any realistic visual experience.)
    Abstract Art is a subset of Modern art/Contemporary Art and can be Post-Modern, as well.
    What difference does it make whether an Abstract painting is driven/marketed by a convoluted, complex, or plain bogus, theory or is driven by one of the default theories that drives a lot of both Modern and Post-Modern Abstract Art, such as the concept of flatness, --a Modern Art concept. Pure painting for paintings sake, having no intention is the intention, is the idea, is the theory, the concept and philosophy of much of abstract painting. To abandon narrative and familiar reference is the intention, the driving force. To produce patterns and marks on a flat surface without destroying the pure, paint on-a-flat-surface, ‘object’ quality of the work, is the idea, the concept, even the theory.

Last edited by bill618; November 13th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Does anyone else see a difference between 'Abstract Art" and 'abstraction in art' ?
    And what if 'Art' is not a noun, but a verb? Not a thing made, but the act of making it?
    This is what I mean by defining. Abstracting is changing of a recognizable object toward complete abstraction which is unrecognizable form. If there is still some remainder of recognizable objects or form it can be called abstracted but abstract is when it reaches that point of completely non-objective. Abstract expressionism is a movement early to mid 20th century which bill hit upon. Moving art away from the narrative and objective toward complete formalism where surface and material rule to put it simply.

Now as far as art as a verb we can do a verb test. Can you art something, or art down the street? Am I arting when I put brush to surface? We can make new age claims to art as a verb but in reality it is a noun, and even a proper noun if we capitalize (Art Garfunkel), which has lost its power because it has lost any workable definition. Cue kev.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a documentary I watched on Amazon Prime called "Painters Painting" that I am afraid represents everything I dislike about the work from the modern/abstract/high art scene. Barnett Newman's work underscores what I do not understand about this movement.

Of course there is also the pretentious hipster art snob scene that is little more than a contest of who can haphazardly smear what in the most shocking manner but that is something else and equally not art because there is no craft in what they are doing.

Abstract done in a skillfull way and with some craft can be beautifull and worthy of being called art. That doesn't describe the majority of it in my opinion though.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To abstract means to summarize... to draw out of a complex of information the essence of the totality without losing any important sense, noting only those facts without which the summary would be incoherent. Our ability to abstract gives us the ability to wick out truth from experience. The abstract is the actual substance of a communication. When a verbal/textual communication is understood, it has undergone several layers of abstraction in order for it to be digested aesthetically.

Most abstract art is decoratively-arranged conceptual gibberish.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    This is what I mean by defining. Abstracting is changing of a recognizable object toward complete abstraction which is unrecognizable form. If there is still some remainder of recognizable objects or form it can be called abstracted but abstract is when it reaches that point of completely non-objective. Abstract expressionism is a movement early to mid 20th century which bill hit upon. Moving art away from the narrative and objective toward complete formalism where surface and material rule to put it simply.

Now as far as art as a verb we can do a verb test. Can you art something, or art down the street? Am I arting when I put brush to surface? We can make new age claims to art as a verb but in reality it is a noun, and even a proper noun if we capitalize (Art Garfunkel), which has lost its power because it has lost any workable definition. Cue kev.
    It is still odd that we call the paintings that are about surface and material the abstract works. Wouldn't it be more fit to call a Bouguereau abstract? Those are the paintings telling us the paint on the canvas isn't paint.

Last edited by D.Labruyere; November 14th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    If we are going to so this again maybe we need definitions. I am going to bed but I'm sure Tristan or someone will oblige. Jeff Soto's work is not abstract.
    well in that case its pop surealism yeah sorry my mistake

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 2