Sketchbook: Diary of a Mad Black Artist - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jolly good show! you are back on the horse! I like your experimentation with different mediums so keep doing what you are doing. dissatisfaction of your work is a powerful tool, it can make or break you so make sure you use it wisely. It should be make you ask questions on why you might be dissatisfied with your piece which if constructive would lead you to ask questions of "what if I do X instead or try Y?" and if you keep on going on with the process without dropping the pencil you gradually start to improve the things you were once dissatisfied with so just DON'T DROP DA PENCIL!

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kamikazel33t-Don't drop the pencil....I like that analogy haha I've been trying my best

I realized something the other day as I sat stewing in frustration that my taste seems to differ so much from many of my peers who also wish to enter the entertainment industry. As much as I love animation for example, and though I can easily praise the technical side of designs and art of famous companies such as Disney or dreamworks, in the end I cannot stand many things beyond that. I mean I would never turn down a job from them but at my core I can't see myself being as happy as I could be doing that typical wide eyed, unending-happy-ending stuff...unless of course all I did was draw villains haha. At the end of it the things that truly make me smile is usually the polar oposite...sooooo anything monstrous, creature related, horrific, etc. Which to be honest, if I were the same as the rest of my colleagues, I wouldn't be at all happy either. Yet with my different taste I cannot help but worry about how this will affect my trying to get into the entertainment industry. I am an artist. I make art. I love art. I love looking at art. I love the act of making art. And at this point in time, despite my worries about not achieving what I have been pushing for so strongly, is it wrong to switch my thinking from "worrying about if my portfolio has a chance in hell with a game or film company" to "worrying about being a good artist, before (or instead of) being a good concept artist"? I love looking at "dated" artists like Bernie Wrightson, or Harry Clark or Frazetta. I love looking at villainous and beastly concept art. But sometimes I think that if I was meant to do these things, wouldn't my work have shown it at some point? I love the figure, and I love working traditionally, but is this the wrong method of thinking when what I want to do for a living seems completely the opposite of what I do? Especially with end of my college career swiftly coming to an end. But for now I suppose I will simply continue to chug along with doing what I do, even if it isn't the same as everyone one else or if it is not up to snuff with the rest of the applicants. Doing something is always better than doing nothing at all. We'll see what happens in the next decade or so...Ces't la vie

More doodles of late. I tried to do the wolf with no reference to see if my anatomy class had actually been paying off, and for the most part I think it has been even if this one isn't the best example. As far as the painting goes considering oils nor portraits were ever really my forte...not bad.
    Name:  dashboard.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  105.6 KBName:  IMG_0285.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  63.9 KBName:  photo.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  85.3 KBName:  tumblr_mibo2d3jgy1rmqeivo1_500.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  317.7 KB

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the comments and encouragement. I'm glad to see you're doing so well with your sketchbook and studies. Those last female figure drawings are really lovely and I really like the 5 minute gestures from back in post 99 (and the Sean Murray studies). The thing that stands out for me most is your confidence in your lines and use of colour. Keep up those high energy levels, very inspiring.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dayle-thanks bud and happy to do so.

Between art, classes, music, portfolios (or lack thereof), the prospect of graduating in a year, looking for wok, and trying to find internships when I have no money for housing, life is a giant headache of late. And I'm not even employed or paying taxes yet...life's a bitch isn't it?

20 min paintings from today. It was not exactly an "on" day for art. However I was happy with the spider...Also an update of the painting from earlier.
    Name:  photo-1.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  41.4 KBName:  photo-2.jpeg
Views: 145
Size:  46.0 KBName:  photo-3.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  41.7 KBName:  photo-4.jpeg
Views: 145
Size:  74.8 KBName:  tumblr_migj11Zska1rmqeivo1_500.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  284.9 KB

Last edited by Ghast; March 28th, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Underdrawing for an upcoming oil painting of the tell tale heart. Any critique on this would be appreciated. I think the head is a little off somehow in relation to the body. I was trying a new style of drawing which I was pretty excited about. I never usually smudge but I'm trying to minimize the time it takes on the drawing so that it reads clearly without as many lines and values

Name:  Scan 4.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  142.8 KB

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good man.
    Your latest stuff shows a growing understanding of how form and value work together.
    Always consider the lighting of your setup, there's really no quick way to understand it except from constant observation and application.
    When you divide your character into masses and give those masses direction, it expresses form and gesture better.
    It feels like I'm typing out of my ass sometimes, I'm still experimenting myself. I hope you can get something out of this.
    Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rotor- Hey any advice is better than no advice. Thanks dude means a lot
    Albe22rta- Thank you? I think???

Another moment of my trying to draw with fearlessness. Not really an original concept, but I hey it was an excuse to draw tigers and women. Trying to just pump out ideas and just DRAW regardless of if I use references or not. I referenced a tiger, so what? I'm through worrying about trying to ween off reference. At this stage I wanna be like a sponge and just suck in as much visual info and artistic tactics as I can and just enjoy the process.

Name:  Photo Feb 21, 12 29 41 AM.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  81.0 KB

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the spirit. The best thing I did for my art was let go and accept that I wasn't going to perfect. Accept that my proportions would be off. Accept that my shading and values would suck and accept that there's no getting around that "awkward stage" without drawing it out of my system and really embracing it. I saw pretty swift improvement in my art not long after (in large part because I was actually drawing more and finishing the drawings (mostly studies) that were imperfect but learning from and improving on them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Juniversal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Juniversal- Thanks bud thats what I'm aiming for. When in doubt take the next small step right?

Models that can't hold a pose for longer than 15 seconds when a 20 minute pose has already be agreed upon should either not be employed, or in hell. I don't care which, I just don't want to see them. Thats what I will think every time I look at these arms. I should specify that the rest of the non arm works had wonderful models. They posed was quite the opposite. Great figures, lots of interesting poses, the woman was covered in tattoos which I sadly omitted...color was not on my side that day...it will be eventually just not at all this past week. ALSO. I'm dicking around with my favorite pokemon...

Name:  Photo Feb 26, 5 15 42 PM.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  63.4 KBName:  Photo Feb 26, 5 15 49 PM.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  66.9 KBName:  Photo Feb 26, 5 15 53 PM.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  79.5 KBName:  Photo Feb 28, 4 46 16 PM.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  73.2 KBName:  Photo Feb 28, 4 46 30 PM.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  88.6 KBName:  Photo Feb 28, 9 17 50 PM.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  98.6 KBName:  POKEEMAN.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  120.7 KB

Last edited by Ghast; February 28th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the spirit mate! keep at it, your doing wonderfully. Really liked this image, I can somewhat immerse myself in the emotions he is feeling.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Where did your highness disappeared for the last few weeks? We are starting to worry.
    You have to draw what you most like, if you donít like to do pretty flowers and beautiful
    elves, if you rather do villains and evil bestial things, than you better do that, cause you
    can best and most excel in the things that you really love and like. So hesitate no more,
    grab your battle axe, split Cinderellaís head into two, and draw it. With lots of blood.
    I hope that you are doing fine and that your motivation is rising high. Get back to us
    with a magical surprise.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the lightning in the painting is preety good and I can see the improvement. I also likes the fact that you used some blue colors to paint the face of the maester, it works very well. Maybe the spider could have some more detail but it's okay anyway. And the arms/anatomy studies, yeah way to go man. Also liked that nervous guy. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! You posted on my old SB back in 2011 and I figured I'd return the favour haha. Fantastic to see you're still going, and your work's looking great, I'll keep an eye on this thing. Keep posting man!

*edit* also man, after reading a little more of your stuff (lovely long posts), I still know how you sometimes feel. It's all pretty scary, and it takes a lot of self belief. But you find the people who make it are literally just the ones who don't pack in, like you hehe. Most of us live in a society where art and non-professional artists trying to make it are not supported, so it gets hard! If everyone always doubts it, and thus you, one can't help but feel down about it sometimes? But your drawings and paintings are gorgeous, really, they are, you just gotta keep going. That's the thing that really does it. Be it at a chug, or a steady pace, or at a blinding rate, if they keep going that's probably what they're gonna be telling the wanna-bees at the Q&A sessions at the promos when asked how they got so good, "I just kept trying". So you're doing all the right things, you're keeping going and producing the right stuff, toiling with it and bending it, going to the classes, and endeavouring to make your art look fantastic and doubting it and even yourself if you don't think it does, like any good artist would. I hope this was helpful! >< Keep posting and keep us updated with your work!

Last edited by Npc Rebellion; March 27th, 2013 at 06:32 AM.
    I do believe this is my Sketchbook. Take a look, feedback and anything that will help is always appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible progress mate! The improvement you've made since the first page is tremendous. Keep pushing forward, because it just keeps looking better and better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With the forums down for so long I realized how much I missed having a place to vent...

Thanks guys. I'm laughing while I'm reading these last few comments they really do help to keep me focused. They were nice to come back to.

So summer is here, class is done, and if I have learned anything from the last few summers it's that I really just need to make art for me. Granted the goal is portfolio pieces where graduation is fast approaching (far quicker than I would like...), but I'd really like to try and stay level headed and have SOME small smidgeon of confidence in my work rather than belittling myself and instilling unnecessary depression and wasting my time comparing myself to others. I've been home 2 weeks, and I haven't had as much time to art as I would have liked, trying to find work, make money, workout, take care of the house, keep up with practicing music, cook extensively, the list is long. But for now, I'm taking things one step at a time. And I'd like to do that this summer artistically. I ended the year pretty well, and I want to continue trying to improve my digital paintings. So I'll do them one at a time, study by study, LEARNING TO WORK THROUGH THE AGGRAVATION OF A PIECE NOT GOING THE WAY I WOULD LIKE IT TO...I need to remember to stick with it. I'm not going to say "I'm going to do CoW/ChOW/EoW/cold fusion this summer" for once. I'd like to try making art and practicing rather than saying I'm going to only to not follow up and feel terrible about it later. Moment by moment and one step at a time. I'm reminded of the lovely motivational thread "Fuck Yeah". I want to do that. Make things, acknowledge they need work, say FUCK YEAH THIS DESIGN CAME OUT TERRIBLE, and continue working towards bigger and better things. I just need to remember to relax and not take myself so seriously...within reason of course...

A little Dante's Inferno from the end of the year. So behind in updates...but this is kinda what I've been messing with...trying to be more painterly since doing these.

Name:  Wood of Suicides.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  290.7 KB Name:  Malebolge2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  417.9 KB

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I've neglected this place Still keeping art quite alive in my life despite that. I was looking through my sketchbook and realized "dear god its all pencil and ballpoint pen." Then I thought, "my word I should fix this monotony and try to utalize a new tool" And so I soiree'd into new territory with a bamboo brush and sumi ink. It was a lot of fun. I like not trying to be realism oriented once in a while. Its fun and freeing. Not to mention mentally reassuring, as I can see that I really do love what I do. Good night, good night.

This mysterious nomad has wandered the desert sands for well over a century, with nothing more than his pack and a walking stick. In his bag he carries neither food nor water, but instead a collection of oddities ranging from animal bones to vials of assorted sand, as well as numerous potions of his own creation. On rare occasions he appears to lost travelers, leading them back to the safety of civilization, only to silently wander back into the desert sands before reaching the city gates. The clinking of the many glass potion bottles which hang from his pack sound like wind chimes; a sound associated with good luck by the merchants who claim to have seen the elusive nomad, and view him as a wandering protector of those who cross his desert.

Name:  img159 copy.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  309.7 KB

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 2