Sketchbook: Diary of a Mad Black Artist - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got some imaginative stuff going on man, I too see that your improving, I also envy how you can go in hard with pen, I usually shy away from pen stuff cuz you cant rub out (runs away in shame), but this in itself will make you improve as it makes you think first where you put your line

By the way thanks for the comment on my sketchbook, much appreciated.

Keep it up man!!! (thumbs up)

MY SKETCHBOOK

MY BLOG
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More ChOW drafts. I have the hardest time designing costumes....my goal is to start the final tomorrow (of course I still don't really like my design). I like a lot of the silhouettes but whenever I have to start working on a final I freeze up and get very frustrated very quickly...probably why I don't do many finished works I really like the mask idea. It makes him feel more tribal and gives me an excuse to make him look monstrous. To be honest I never liked the generic rpg character designs. They're so impractical and all too similar. Ah well, I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to start painting with an unsatisfying design for times sake...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Glad to see you doing some Chow designs. its a great place to apply all that study! and for further development (i've learnt loads when trying them). I really like the park benchman in post 36, great gesture, also, I need to find me some musicians to draw! All the best.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dayle- thanks dude, I thought the same thing, since practice without a chance to put it into context is a little futile isn't it?

Still working on ChOW, and DEAR GOD PRESERVE US I'm painting....and in digital no less. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm kind of in the dark on painting, digitally or otherwise. I'm not sure if I should render the body than the armor or treat it as a single thing...probably the latter I assume...lets see if I can keep all my hair where it is by the end of this

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digital painting is something I am also trying to learn. Make sure you keep sticking at it, the learning curve is steep and you'll figure loads of stuff out through trial and error. Here are 2 links that have really helped me to get better. its worth investing some time to watch some tutorials (I also made notes for important shortcuts, tips, etc)

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOO...58/XKLZ7VSR9qw

Hope it helps.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't ask me - everyone says I do it wrong, but I scribble at low opacity with small brushes.

First thing I thought of your SP (first post) was what a lovely face. Do more please.

I'm with Nailbiter on mixing up the studies to prevent boredom - it's not like there's not enough areas to practice on. Even if you can't get to life drawing all the time, still lives do help with form so much. Model with BO sounds hell - I had one who liked to go into detail of his depraved sex life during breaks.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dayle - much obliged bud. I've actually been browsing through both these sites every once in a while they're great resources

Black Spot - That model sounds equally miserable. Theres always one, right? I'm really trying to mix up studies because it's just become monotonous and boring at this point. Figured I'll try doing some animal stuff since its not something I do often

Back for more art stuffs after a little break. I was kicking myself for being so lazy but I'm actually kinda glad that I just focused on music for a while instead. It's ironic that art is what I see myself doing as a career, yet it gets me more aggravated than anything else; and yet all my jobs up to today have been pertaining to music, which I get more joy out of doing than anything else. Then again, as seriously as I take music, I'm far better at it than I am at art, so I'm hoping that when I get to the same level in art as I do with my music I'll start becoming happier, nay, less irritated with my output.

I finally got a chance to go to a local figure drawing meet which felt great, and I got to meet some very nice people, one of whom was kind enough to give me some tips. I was wicked rusty though so it took a while for me to find my way around the figure again. She was a great model. Very dynamic and very beautiful. So heres a few of the better ones from the session, as well as some imaginative stuff: some redesigns of paper mario villains and thumbs from this week's ChOW that I didn't have time to develop.

Hopefully gonna post more regularly after this, but I'll be in CA for 2 weeks with no scanner so I'm not sure how frequent I'll be posting

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few pages I forgot to scan from earlier this week, just so on the road life drawing and doodles. As for the red, its the result of angry, venting, scribbling to classical music from tonight. The sorcerer's apprentice and a rather epic piece from Sleeping Beauty. It was one of those evenings...but since music was driving me the markers were kind of obligatory at that point. It was somewhat calming though.

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could work that dragon meets wizard mouse picture up. You've got some nice energy there.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot Thanks

So much for more routine posting Well after yet another small hiatus and an angry outburst the likes of which the world has never seen, I'm back, realizing that learning to get back on the horse is one of the biggest parts of making art. Thus, I am back on said horse, for how long, I don't know, but I'm working at it. Me kicking my own ass isn't productive...but saying that and acting on it are 2 different things, but I am feeling a lot better. I was so sick of everything that I just really needed this break...again...and so yesterday, I spent 3 hours doing some studies of material completely unknown to me, and it felt great. I continued said studies today, without any problems, so I think I just needed a change of subject matter. Plus I really want to work on creature design so I figured no better way to start than learning non-human anatomy. Also broke out some nice black paper just to mix it up. I think the key to me enjoying what I do everyday is variety, and studying bones in white charcoal (appropriately enough) was a lot of fun and I'm learning a lot about quadruped structure. I'm loving this new book (The Art of Animal Drawing by Hultgren) and I'm finding animals a lot more interesting than humans to draw so I'm pretty pumped in that respect.

I tried something new with the gestures as well, since I did them after 2 days of studying structure, then looked at photos and tried to break them down into the bones and shapes I had just rendered. It worked pretty well

Last edited by Ghast; July 31st, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big cat bones and seeing if I still remember a horse skull from memory. Very little because it was a lazy day. Note to self: make up for it tomorrow

Who am I kidding I can't say that little I will say though that I really need to start doing something other than pencil and pen studies. I need to apply some of this stuff instead of leaving it alone to rot unused in actual pieces. I don't do much in the way of actual illustration do I? And those stupid canvases and paints have yet to be touched goddamn it

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm trying out ChOW yet again...but considering I'l be in CA for 2 weeks starting Wed, with no access to a scanner, I don't think I'll make it, but I figure I can still work on the concept. Figures though that the one time I do this and am ahead of my own schedule, I'm going on vacation...ah well. As a plus, it felt damn good to be doing stuff from imagination Can't decide where to go with the style...you'd think an orc would be pretty straight forward.

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have such great studies, great anatomy study and gestures. I think you are right that it would be good to finish up some, it would be nice to see.

The orcs are looking good, why not do a trace off the different heads (or just redraw) then try some clean up in a bunch of different styles of final line work. It's good practice and you can see what suits them best.

Cheers, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    Ntropii's Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167372

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice monsters, and that animal anatomy is looking good, great progress man.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ghast- "Style before Fundamentals is Fundamentally wrong." Super Like ..

Awesome studies , specially like hands n feet.. drawn in perfect forms..

Best..

MYSKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough talk - it's okay mixing the studies up as I said before, but you've got to stick for bit on a few of them. Wanting to improve is no good without putting in some effort. Now get drawing and your ass back here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ntropii-Thanks dude. If I didn't go on vacation the next day I probably would have pushed those heads further
    rem92- Thanks
    Black Spot- haha THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT. The kick in the ass is GREATLY appreciated. And I do realize (rather was reminded of) the fact that I never finish anything. Out of curiosity, how much (in your eyes) should said studies be pushed?

Well I'm back at school, wedging myself deeper and deeper into the illustration program. I'm so backed up on posting and admittedly wouldn't have posted again if Black Spot didn't make me realize that its been a fucking MONTH. This is unacceptable. While vacationing , I chose to step away from art just to take some time to actually relax and clear my head. This was the right decision as far as I am concerned, but outside of going to 2 sunday figure drawing sessions, I've been horrible about practicing since I got back (ignoring the work excuse that I could use). It was a momentary relapse of bad habits...

On a more negative note since going to my first studio class I have (yet again) been feeling like shit. I know that its a matter of acknowledging that I am literally just starting out, but its so damn difficult to not be so hyper critical of myself. Its maddening...

These are from the first session. I'll post more

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back there.

I liked what you were doing with the cat/skull construction stuff. Really interesting. It was paying off IMO. And this session. Wow that was a crazy session, eh? About 25 drawings. Mostly vine charcoal? The figures are looking good and reasonably volumetric.

Good to have you back. Now get out that sketchbook again

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    no need to be critical man. There will never be a point where you go "right.. ive done it... im good now" and stop criticising your work. The fact that you are constantly thinking about how it can be improved is just proof youre learning so keep on doing what youre doing!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage-Thanks dude, good to be back. And yeah, for three hours they cram in a lot of poses, but the models so far have been very good.

ThomasM- I think I'm slowly starting to get that through my skull. I mean its only the start of my sophomore year, and I'm LEARNING, so it doesn't make sense for me to be getting so worked up

So based on the lineup of classes I have and being midway through the week, I've concluded that this year is going to kick ass. On top of this I think I've begun to understand the importance of being the best I can be rather than trying to be the best, period. Thats not to say that I'm not getting rid of my competitive streak, but I think I realize now that the point that I go when it comes to trying to outdo someone else is by no means healthy. I have a habit lately of treating some artists as being nothing more than competition (mainly because of how impressive their work was) and felt as such it was my job to leave them in the dust. Now I'm thinking its a lot more beneficial to focus more on helping each other out, especially in a college setting, since we all wind up learning something from each other. The competitive side is definitely very important, but it doesn't alwasy mean that I should burn bridges so quickly. I mean half of this business is networking anyways.

I also am trying to stop saying that other people's work is better than mine. (This sounds much more arrogant than intended) By that I mean that just because I think it's better, doesn't always that everyone shares my opinion. And if I've learned anything in the past semester its how powerful the mind really is. Say something enough and you start to believe it even if it isn't true. Every artist is good at something, and I need to realize that that doen't mean they are "better" overall. They might be better at portraits but might suck when it comes to creatures. As my pastor so often says: If no one else in this world has our backs, than we should at least be there to support each other. Thats what I want to get out of this year.

It's been a very enlightening 2 days....

As for these, just some sketches from the past few weeks. The Bridgeman hands are from today, and the facial studies are from the last life drawing session (theres even some life drawing from the beach. amazing, I know.). I figure I'll try doing a few hands a day on top of whatever else I decide to do.

ALSO, since I think it deserves to be here on top of everything else, a friend told me this saying and its really helped me out, so here it is forever more:

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one. Good to see you working out those issues. We all get stuck there sometimes.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I swear when one problem recedes another presents itself without fail....I'm tired and have little to say. But I will say that I realized today that I don't have any dreams, goals, or aspirations in art, only in music, yet I still feel I want to make art for a living. Too tired to expand on this, perhaps tomorrow, plus I have class in the morning. Most of this artistic journey has been far more about fighting the mental battle rather than the physical act of practicing. Little steps.

More hands and some more figures from the last figure drawing session before I left for school. Also a study from Egon Schiele for class. We're gonna be doin a lot of these...

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say I've learned more just by sitting and thinking and interacting with other illustrators in the past few days (on top of drawing of course) than I thought. I mean for me, half (if not more) of making art is learning to be in the right mindset about things. Of course the technique is equally important, but in my case its more a mental battle to remind myself that there are always other artists better than me, and while competition is good, it isn't healthy when it consumes me to the point of hating the competition. The more we help each other now the better chance we have of maybe helping each other in the field right? Never know who might know who down the line. But just the fact that I am coming to terms with this more and more and recognizing when I'm doing it is momentous. I'm rather proud of myself

Workwise, more artist studies, this time of Gustav Klimt and Joe Ciardiello. The Ciardiello was an assignment for the week, on top of doing an artist's portrait in his style. It was very freeing to just draw with wild abandon and not going crazy of measuring and making sure things lined up. A nice change of pace doing these artists instead of focusing on hyper realism; very freeing Also, as astounding as it is, I broke out the pastels and black paper and decided to mess around. I was watching some good movie villains if it wasn't blatantly apparent. I think I'm gonna just go down the line and try doing a series of movie villains, since they only take me a little over an hour.

Man, looking back these last few posts have been pretty devoid of humor hmm?

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very little to report, only here to post this self portrait. Camera kinda butchered it unfortunately. They told us we could do anything we wanted so long as it was black and white...I can finally do bizarre shit like this with wild abandon . Joy. I had a shitload of fun doing this. I can't remember the last time I did a piece that I enjoyed working on so much. Plus, where we don't have to work on 18x24 for everything anymore, working small was a nice change of pace, and a HELL of a lot faster. I pumped this out in less than 6 hours I think (minus procrastinating and reference searching of course). I also realized afterward that I was having so much fun doing this not only because I love this kinda stuff, but also because I wasn't trying to outdo anyone else. I was just working for me, on what I enjoy, not thinking about what other people were doing. It was definitely one of the stranger portraits during critique

As for the technicals, just pencil and ink. I thought it would be both a fun and interesting challenge to see how much I could warp myself while still maintaining a sense of realism. I'm rather proud that it freaks me out, even though it IS me...the eyes follow you and its rather unsettling. Its staying facedown until further notice

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies are just that. If you take a photo/scan when you think you've done enough and then go hell for leather in pushing it too far, will it matter? How will you ever know for far you can go if you don't push it and stay in your comfort zone. You might even surprise yourself what you can do. If you wreck it - it goes in the bin and start again, hopefully learning where you pushed it that bit too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, man for the comment in my sketchbook. I really like how well you had drew the hands and the foot, i really like seeing well drawn foot in drawings. Those are the most expressive things along with the hand on a human body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit in my sb. I totally agree with you about how much more fun art is when you aren't constantly trying to outdo everyone. Anyways nice artist studies and the self portrait is pretty cool, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm here and I'm back for more. Its been too long, a semester in fact. A semester of learning a shit ton about the glorious world of illustration. I feel I've learned so much in such a short time, even if not all of it is technical. I actually feel like a have more of a game plan this break (I haven't done ANY personal sketching because of school....and a wee smidgeon of laziness) just based of off STUDYING illustrators and looking at WHO WAS LOOKING AT WHO. The historical aspect of it all is fascinating, especially when I realized that there is so much more to the world of art than what's been around in the past decade. I find myself leaning more into emulating older work like pulp comics, etc. (I worship the ground Bernie Wrightson walks on as of late) and older fantasy like John Howe or Alan Lee. And strangely enough despite my dark taste in everything I have to say I'm loving the whimsicality of Peter de Seve and Chris Sanders (next on my list of things to copy). UGGHHH I learned SO MUCH and it feels AWESOME.

You know what I'm not even going to yack on about plans either, since it means I will inevitably over-think things (which looking back on this thread and my life in general is a nasty habit). So I'll shut up and heres some naked Frazetta women

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread served it's purpose today when I stop and think about it. I was rereading everything since I haven't been here in so long, and it made me realize what my bad habits were/are, which helped me determine what to work on today. Since I noticed that several people picked up on the fact that my studies can be very redundant and the suggestion to vary it up came up a lot, I took today to be slow and deliberate rather than do yet ANOTHER set of quick gestures....so I did a long drawing and focused more on rendering and form rather than gesture. I really enjoyed it, even if it started out a little iffy (gotta stop myself from relapsing into old ways of thinking). I really found myself getting lost in the faces, since neither were meant to go so in depth, but I take this to be a good thing

Also the centipede thing was an assignment for class, but I figure I'd post it to give myself an idea of where I was when I look back. Illustrate a fear they said...

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the centipede thing. That'll creep anyone out.

Check out the Draw From What Everyone Looks Like thread in the lounge. I have some really bad ones in there and then pushed it. Sometimes I've drawn someone over 5 times before posting, each time working out what I'd done wrong and where it had to improve. You need to learn to be self critical and not have a 'it'll do' attitude. Studies are just that and it's what you learn from one and take to the next is the best feeling ever.

Rock on.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2