Sketchbook: Diary of a Mad Black Artist - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really really like your 10 and 30 second quickdraws,
    if you can somehow keep the energy of those in your more sustained drawings, I think you'll develop your own style very fast,
    a tutor once gave me some great simple advice, he said if you're doing a life drawing be sure to get the basic proportions, light and weight correct, but after that you can see the drawing taking on its own form, - then you have to obey the direction that the drawing is wanting to go, and stop referencing the source,
    good stuff

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well being hte busy bee that I am I was unable to post anything the past few days but I was still working! I told myself I would draw every day of this summer and I'm going to keep to that. I also want to put in print that my goal for this week is to do a small oil painting from life every 2 days if not every day. I do a ton of figure work but not much still life stuff. ON TO IMPROVEMENT

Gestures, some of which I have no memory of doing and some concept work for a piece I hope to start soon. Its the ghoul from Pickman's model.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mozchops - thanks for the tip. Thats been my biggest thing with gestures is that I rarely convey that energy in longer poses. I think I am always more concerned with getting everything as proportional and accurate as possible and ignore that gestural feel

Dayle - Thanks bud! no problem

SteelCobra - I know what you mean. But its nice to know I'm not the only one juggling 2 different art forms! And I definitely want to start working my way into digital very soon (even though I will always prefer the feeling of traditional materials ) Keep up the music!

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a lot today, and no painting which means I've already begun to fall behind in my goal this week...but on the plus side I finally downloaded the right scanner drivers so my scanned pics should come out clearer. I also spent a lot of time today reading up. I felt I was forcing myself to pump out works non-stop without taking any time to think in between, so I tried to take a moment to gather my thoughts. Most of the articles I was reading were going back to the basics and a lot on the mental process of art, since I am still trying to get into the right mindset about certain things. I didn't draw a lot the past 2 days but I still feel taking this time to read was invaluable.

Workwise just some Bridgeman legs, since the lower body and pelvis always give me trouble. not much else to say about 'em

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies!

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I painted an apple in photoshop yesterday in about 10 minutes yesterday before rushing out the door to watch the Bruins destroy Vancouver with some friends. Needless to say the entire city was cheering well into the morning. I normally am not a huge fan of professional sports but I figured I'd preface this post with that, since between work and the evening's social events not much was done yesterday. This apple is sickening by the way thus I'm reworking it more...is it sad that I'm being this picky over painted fruit?

Apple's and victory aside just more life drawing from today and yesterday (the blue being yesterdays work). The harmonica players legs are a travesty in hindsight...but the both of em are some mean blues players.

Critique is always encouraged!

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. Just keep at it with those gestures and studies. Love the werewolves, too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing you improve throughout this sketchbook has been really inspiring. Have you drawn with pens since the beginning, or did you have to learn how to draw with pen? I'm trying to figure out how to stop being so OCD over my drawings, and I've thought that maybe drawing with a pen would help with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff you've got there! Love the plague doctor one especially. Hope you finish it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some pretty awesome stuff in here. I love the portrait in your first post a lot.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to himself in his sketchbook.

Please visit

It gets lonely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Featheredface and xinleh- Thanks! I'm still trying to design a werewolf I'm satisfied with haha

Telephonoscope- I'm happy to hear I've inspired someone I just kind of draw with whatever, but I do like the smoothness of ballpoint pens. I really dont think about it too much, since its pretty much the same as a pencil. Put I will agree about it kind of forcing you to think every stroke through (on a side note I'm wicked OCD too)

GHudston Thanks bud. And believe me I talk oto myself WAAAAY more than I do here hahaha so you're not alone. No one understands you better than yourself right?

ok you know what? I have no witty opener prepared and nothing other than a music/work packed weekend ahead so...yeah. not as much art time since I actually have to get up early for a little bit. But I figure as long as I draw SOMETHING every day I've improved that little bit more.

A few gestures of women, since I avoid drawing women quite frequently, and a torso study. To remedy this severe lack of skill drawing women I'm gonna aim to draw 99 more torsos in the hopes that I'll actually start to get it right plus I figure it'll prove whether or not I see improvement, since I''m always bitching about not seeing any...

Last edited by Ghast; June 18th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great gestures : D! One piece of advice I could give is to vary the types of studies you do. One day, do a bunch of quick gestures, and then the next day, do a nice long life drawing. If you keep changing things up it will keep the brain active and you'll most likely learn more : )

Don't worry too much about seeing the improvement, just keep pushing yourself and working as hard as you are! Hard work guarantees good results : )

-Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NailBiterMR- thanks bud. Thats probably some of the best advice I've gotten on this thread. I have to say I love gestures but I've been in need of a change in curriculum for a while now. So many thanks again

Long story short, its 12:14 in the AM, got a concert tomorrow, and a ton of practicing that I don't have a lot of time to do...approximately 4 hours including the next hour...so is the life of the musician...and I wouldn't trade it for anything

As for this evening, some sketches I did at work and at a good friend's concert right afterward. Very little beats listening to exceptional piano music while drawing the source of it. Oh yeah, and this new moleskine is bitchin'

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to say, for once. Decided to take a break from the gestures for something a little longer. It was definitely a nice change of pace (about an hour and a half longer than usual). As I mentioned before, #2 of a hopeful 100 female torsos

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That plaque doctor reminds me of the doctors that you see/go to in Assassin's Creed.

Love the black drawings, always wanted to know how you get the shading right, very impressed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have I expressed my love for this new moleskin on this thread yet? No? Ah well in that case let it be known to the world that I am in love with a red hot bombshell beauty with 104 pages of seductive artistic goodness. There, now that thats out of the way, on to my newest discovery! Drawing is more fun, when what you are drawing, actually interests you...its groundbreaking, I know, but its an incredible find...

In MY case, since I've been going nuts (as usual...what now you may be asking yourselves...) because I am unable to create the beautiful nightmarish beasties that I would love to be able to put on paper. And thus a brilliant plan was hatched tonight: that I explore the depths of google images to unearth some gruesome monsters from the abyss to help in the war on inadequacy. I returned unharmed (thank god) with a host of deep sea critters who go gnash, bite, and glow in the dark...they really are adorable. Frilledhead sharks and hatchet fish, who bear an incredible resemblance to Zant's helmet in Twilight Princess....and of course a gesture from Mr. Delicous' Sketchbook which caught my eye

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been away too long...and by too long I mean 2 days of no posting. One was due to a rather fury filled, art fueled, mental breakdown, and the second was the day following said breakdown where I FORCED myself to try and relax and not draw. Surprisingly this was more difficult than I thought, as the only sites I ever really visit are art based, but I suppose this is a good sign. I wound up watching Planet Terror instead and buying Drawing for all its worth, so thats what I'll be doing tomorrow

As for tonight, I did work out the general idea of C.O.W. which I am finally balling up and entering. I figure I'll try and do either COW or ChOW every week or so in the hopes of producing more finished work and at least practicing painting digital. It somehow feels wrong painting digitally without having done any major traditional painting...I'd do everything in pencil if I could, and I can, so I do. But I have been avoiding color for years, so I really gotta jump on that...

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes it's good to take a break and just chill out and not do art...I look forward to seeing your CHOW/COW entries

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steveland thanks lol I'm a little nervous to be honest idk why I should be tho

Once again feeling like shit. My work is forever inadequate in my eyes and despite trying to be positive its infuriating to never be satisfied. I am always afraid to do anything imaginative lately because I am obsessed with just doing fundimentals...then again it may also be because I am never happy with my ideas since they never come out the way I want. I miss drawing with wild abandon and with worrying. Now I'm always afraid to make mistakes which is my biggest problem of all I think.

Just one life drawing today. The girl and some of her friends realized I was drawing them at one point but I decided fuck it I don't care. They actually came up ot me later asking to see it lol I also just got this toned paper sketchbook, so I'm trying to mess around with it

Last edited by Ghast; June 27th, 2011 at 12:46 AM.
    >>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghast View Post
    Steveland thanks lol I'm a little nervous to be honest idk why I should be tho

Once again feeling like shit. My work is forever inadequate in my eyes and despite trying to be positive its infuriating to never be satisfied. I am always afraid to do anything imaginative lately because I am obsessed with just doing fundimentals...
    The way out of this? Keep a doodle journal for your eyes only.

DON'T show it to anyone else... but also DON'T make any rules for it. Just doodle. Just sit and empty your brain. Don't have any idea what you're going to do ahead of time, just get that pencil moving.

And then... as you go... think a little about the work. But don't pre-occupy your self with making perfect "doodles". That's not your purpose. Doodling is how you have fun, how you loosen up, how you fuel your fire.

No matter what your instructors have told you and ingrained into your brain... ignore that when you're inside the pages of your doodle book. Just hit go.

This will re-invigorate you and make you want to study more. Eventually you won't be able to help but draw better in your doodle book, because what you're learning will be second nature.

Good luck, have fun

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage-thanks for the tip. I just bought a new sketchbook just for personal works and despite not having done anything in it yet, its nice to know I have somewhere to put the personal stuff

Well its been a while, and I'll admit I've been lazy for a day or two, not really doing studies or gestures, but I did do a lot of thinking...and exercise, which helped the thinking. I really don't know how some people here can spend 8 hours a day locked inside on a beautiful day. I go insane if I don't do something physical with the art every day. I figure I'm studying the world that I'm trying to recreate

And I never did get to putting this weeks COW and ChOW designs past the planning phase. I really need to work on that...strange as it is the initial thumbnails and sketches are my favorite part, and yet when it comes time to do a finished version (the few that have gotten that far) I rarely have as much fun as coming up with the idea. Nonetheless I did like my idea for the Dreamweaver and hag being heavily influence by Balinese mythology, with the hag more demonic and the weaver being more "shiva-esque". Nothing wrong with including a little cultural heritage

As for the other two, I was lucky enough to find where to catch horse and carriage rides here in Boston. Thus, I couldn't resist sketching them. I love the muscular structure of horses, but I can't get over how huge they are...I'm 6'3", so to be looking at something at eye level and realizing its only the things rear end is a little unnerving and impressive at the same time. I'll definitely be doing it again soon. Its a nice break from humans.

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a grat sketch book..how to you make you're sketch book link to say sketch book?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works, wanna see more of your doodling, looks like you got a lot of good imagination in those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Creeptool and Urötskidoji- many thanks. always thankful for feedback

I have become a lazy ass Mofo of late and its rather disgusting. I haven't been drawing daily for almost a week and it sickens me. Case in point, this post is from work 2 days old.... This is what heat does to me: it makes me lazy and I can't go biking because I'd die which leaves me alone with my thoughts then the whole "you are a horrible person for not drawing enough" thing rears its ugly mug. And of course my bike is in the goddamn shop at the one cool moment of today.

Negativity aside, just studies of arms and heads from loomis. To be honest I don't like just copying directly, especially from loomis (as much as I love him), where every face is overly idealized. But I think I did learn some structure. As for the demented face, it belongs to moi, however the eyes and eyebrows may be a tad exaggerated The arms are from random sources. I'm still feeling like I'm not learning anything from these studies so I'm trying to mix it up instead of just copying what I see. I mean the goal it to understand the study enough to be able to do them without references eventually, so point blank recreation seems a little pointless.

On a side note, I have 4 newly gesso'd masonite canvases. I am going to overcome this fear of color and painting if I have to nail my feet to the floor to keep with it

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, still disgusted with lack of drawing recently....but nonetheless I figure a quick half hour study is better than absolutely nothing. I'm trying out a new way for learning studies. Quick analysis of a photo, try and remember it without the pic, then figure out whats wrong with the photo afterward. Its a little weird to be honest, but thats why we experiment yes? yes.

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghast View Post
    Creeptool and Urötskidoji- many thanks. always thankful for feedback

I have become a lazy ass Mofo of late and its rather disgusting. I haven't been drawing daily for almost a week and it sickens me. Case in point, this post is from work 2 days old....
    Seriously dude, grab your sketchbook, a pencil, and find an air conditioned spot (the mall?) and sit and draw whatever comes into your mind. It will free you.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage-this ones for you

After the urgings of p sage I have finally started to feel like my old self I took today to do nothing but doodle. No reference, no thumbnails, no planning, I put pencil to paper and out popped these lovely old maidens of iron. And I even feel like getting a finished design out of one of these...at some point...maybe...god DAMN it feels good to draw like I did way back when. Its so invigorating!!!

Oh and as for the dead bird, one graced my sidewalk yesterday, and so I took some time to sit and enjoy the company of its ant-ridden corpse with my sketchbook in tow. I'm finding out more and more that I actually feel much freer using a pen than pencil. its just so much smoother and I love the scratchy look the drawing gets. I don't know why I try for hyper realism when I know it really isn't "me". If I wanted a perfect 2d render I'd take a photo...I much prefer to preserve the hints that make it look like a drawing. I also learned that timing myself makes working much easier, since I am working to fit a time rather than to finish, which in the case of the pencil, seemed to take forever. The pen sketch was 20 minutes, and was a lot more fun working against the clock and finding what resulted in the quickest renders. Today was a good day

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That hands and feet study from a few posts back blew me away. Whatever you had for breakfast that day, you should have for breakfast every day.

Earlier you were describing pushing fundamentals too hard and losing the love. Life's too short for that, for sure. Don't treat your studies like chores (I'd recommend against numbering them or setting goals like '300 hand studies'). Trust yourself and make the art you like to make.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to hear it bud And that bird looks great.

Keep it up

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kdiegert- haha I think I got breakfast a few hours after I finished the hands and feet You have a good point about life being short. I actually think I'm just starting to ease myself back into drawing for me rather than to master the basics...not to say I don't enjoy a lot of the basics

Today was a good day. I once again thank p sage for helping me free myself from the burden of obsessing over improvement. I will of course remain obsessive, but I'm starting to feel like my old self again since I stopped worrying as much about perfection and getting references and just emptying my head onto the page. Ironically enough I just finished Art and Fear today...

Work wise, more life drawing from my favorite spot, and a fair amount of it was from memory, since this woman kept shifting around but I'm getting a better feel for just taking mental photos and filling in the blanks even if they're not perfect. If they turn out to be right, great; if not, even better, because I remember mistakes far more than I do successes. I did some drawings from a second floor balcony too but they happened to be on the back of a page I later did silhouettes on...thus they're no longer with us as clearly as they once were.

And secondly, we have my roughs for ChOW, which I am feeling much more excited for than my previous attempt. I'm really going to push myself, and I'm really feeling good about this prompt and my idea, so all the more reason to finish on time!

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3