Sketchbook: Zombiphone's book of frivolous nonsense
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zombiphone's book of frivolous nonsense

Well, since I work digitally almost exclusively now, I guess it makes sense to have a digital sketchbook. I guess I'll use this for anything that's not supposed to be a full blown illustration. I don't have a lot to post right now, and I might not get to update this as frequently as I'd like to (Juggling a full time+ job, part time school, and an obsession with motorcycles gets in the way of my drawing time more often than I care to admit >_<), but I'll use this thread as motivation to do more.

Err, background on me, I've been drawing for longer than I can remember, but the extent of my education has been art class in a public high school (So none ). I currently work in QA for a game company (Yes, I know- No comment needed T_T), just went back to school to learn programming, and I'm a passionate hobbyist.

I always appreciate any suggestions for improvement, so never feel like you should hold back if something is offensively bad and/or causing violent twitching and irritation.

Blah blah blah, words words words- and here we go:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zombiphone; August 19th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It figures that I get one, rare, three day weekend and now that it's finally stopped raining, I'm too sick and dazed to do anything >_< Anyways, being sick and dazed means I have nothing better to do than incoherent doodling.

So I don't really do vehicles, as geometric anything baffles me, but I was bored and making shapes and somehow it culminated into this- which I have dubbed the motorsnake (Or MTR-SNK, rather. the missing vowels are for added sci-fi flare ). I've decided it's going to be the moon's equivalent of a motorcycle, where you ride on top of it and it propels itself forward with the jets on its arms and tail. Not particularly logically designed, not actually a snake, and I ran out of canvas without bothering to add more, but eh.

Edit: Added the pictures from the first post to this one so I could edit my thumbnail in the future. n00b mistakes ftw?

Last edited by Zombiphone; February 27th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ack, sketch dump >_< I can't seem to follow through on anything right now, so here's some boring "mind in neutral" scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I love how that one came out. I have a bit of an affinity for gas masks

Anyways, I've been on kind of a sci-fi kick recently. It's far from finished, but my current WIP (Had a reference for the main tank, but otherwise, I'm currently winging it. I'll figure out how to make a decent background if it's the last thing I do!):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the next thing I want to do is try to understand how to use textures, as I think I could really elevate a lot of my pictures if I knew how to even start with some of that stuff.

That said, these're a little more than rough sketches, and I have threads for them in the critique center, but just for my own collective visibility- The last two full pictures I've about finished (The first one was finished maybe a week and a half ago, the second one I'm still iffy on calling finished):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One last picture for today. I was really in the mood to just design something, so I decided I'd go for the good old fashioned concept style sketching. I've always had a thing for sinister jokers, so I thought I'd try applying my recent sci-fi kick with a classic jester. His proportions are intentionally a bit skewed, just for the record, as I felt a little stylization better suited his character than the initial base I had set up (Not that my proportions are normally perfect, but this one was consciously tweaked).

I just made it up as I went, but all in all, I like how it ended up. Slowly but surely I'm building a proper portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great posts so far, love the jester...what a unique twist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I've always had an affinity for jesters. I don't know why it took me this long to design one of my own.

Well, I was working on a colored character concept, but I ended up being too busy to finish it last weekend, and when I finally sat down to finish it, my laptop died on me. So I'll polish that off provided I still have my harddrive information when that gets back. But, so I could still be productive, I jacked a different computer for a while and just thought I'd try something female and more current to tie me over (That, and I was listening to Eminem's Like Toy Soldiers, and it made me suddenly want to draw one). The monitor on this computer seems to have a constant film of light grayish blue though, so hopefully the values came out okay. It's supposed to be her in army garb and her in civilian clothes, but I guess her face ended up a bit different :/

On a side note, guns are tricky. I think I have most trouble with anything that requires I use precise geometric shapes and/or the line tool rather than being able to freehand it. Definitely something to work on.

Last edited by Zombiphone; March 12th, 2011 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right, my stopping point for this weekend's full color WIP. I bought the Color Theory live stream, and after getting a good 3 hours in, I decided to take a breather and try some colorful stuff again. I'm trying to be more methodical about my use of cooler and warmer colors across lights and shadows this time, but I felt like a more neutral pallet better suited a western scene, so it's going to be a bit more subtle to start (My second love after sci-fi, just for the record even if it is horribly underrepresented in my body of work).

That said, I figured since I'm challenging myself anyways, I may as well take this as an opportunity to also try to understand perspective better so I'm..... awkwardly trying that too. I probably won't get to finish this until next weekend, but in the meantime, I picked up a real paper sketchbook, so can get my pencil on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, got my laptop back and got to see how messed up everything I was working on in its absence looks on a clear, not hazy monitor >_< I might have to go back and correct some things.

That said, I finished off one of the quick sketches I was working on before my laptop had to go. I'm pretty lukewarm on how it turned out, actually, but eh. It's something a bit different, I suppose :/ The standing pose was to show the full design, and the squatting pose was intended to depict personality

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First ever attempt at some sort of speed painting. Turned out pretty terrible, but I'd still like to document it here so I have a point of reference down the line. Looks okay in the thumbnail, but I kind of really hate it otherwise, so I decided to just scrap it already. I'm trying really hard to understand environments and color, but it's probably going to be a while before I can manage anything decent >_< Oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick WIP, that I may or may not end up coloring later. This level of messy is pretty much what my character sketches always look like before coloring them, since I now do my sketching in photoshop. Just thought I'd try my hand at gun design and full body cyborg suits. Those are supposed to be dual railgun pistols, for the record- A weapon that I hope exists in the future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, it's been POURING all day. As a result, I didn't have anything better to do than to color my good friend the cyborg, so here we are. This with my last post is a pretty accurate before and after for all of my character sketches. Some of the details were lost in translation, and a couple new ones were added, but overall I'm satisfied with it. This is one of the more fun poses to draw for me

Demo_Thesis is offline The Hattermancer's Apprentice Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that looks really good! It looks like you had a lot of fun drawing that cyborg guy. I'm slightly confused at to what his left hand is doing though... Besides that little distraction, the design, the colors, and the pose are really dynamic and interesting. I wouldn't have done white and red, I'm more of a blue and yellow guy myself XD It works really well with your design. Keep making new things and new ideas! I'd love to see what you come up with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I've been trying to expand my color pallet a bit as of late. Never realized how few reds, greens, and oranges I use until a few weeks ago, but so far I'm liking how they work. It seems that a little green in a blue shadow can go a long way

As for the left hand, I think I was just trying to make it so I could show both the top and bottom of his forearm in one shot. I can't think of any other way I could have justified it, as it's definitely a bit strange upon further inspection. Clear sign of not always thinking things through >_< I'll have to be more careful of that when I'm making up silly poses in the future.

Thanks for looking ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I had intended to do a lot more this weekend, but I ended up blowing my entire Saturday chasing down a mechanical problem with my motorcycle. Anyways, that said, I wanted to try my hand at designing some characters that aren't white/asian/made of metal/not human colored at all for once, so there you have it. Not a ton of actual design, and I feel like my dread locked character on the right turned out a bit more cartoony than his hooded friend but I kind of like them both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a big fan of how this came out, but it was just intended as a quick practice on a photo reference since I haven't drawn anything in a good 2 weeks or so, and I don't want to get out of the habit. This was based off a picture of the model Gabriel Aubrey that I had saved. No idea where in the internet I had originally found it though :/ Normally I never ever shade in black, but that was the effect the photo used, so that's what I ended up going with.

But yeah, like I said- really not a fan of this one, but I'm going to throw it on here for the sake of being in my random progress/stuff I've done bin- good or not.

If I can get a handle on a scanner, I might try uploading some traditional stuff here too soon, just for visibility

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been kind of interested in trying out 3D modelling, so I ended up downloading Maya. So far, the program seems incredibly complicated and I have no idea what I'm doing >_<

That said, After watching an hour or two of tutorials on youtube, I decided to try following one of the walkthroughs on rendering a simple wine glass to see if I could at least manage that much. Obviously it's nothing special or interesting, but I kind of wanted to document my first ever rendering of a 3D object

w00t!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing terribly interesting today, but I wanted to post an update since it's been a little while. I'm taking a break from trying to understand the first thing about Maya, so instead I started reading Loomis' Figure drawing book. I haven't gotten too far, but I thought I'd take a shot at conjuring up some gestures being careful to abide by the 8 head guideline.

The poses were made up as I went, so they aren't particularly great, and I'm sure my anatomy is still just as mediocre as always, but I'm feeling good about the book as a useful tool so far. Reading books has helped me a lot with riding a motorcycle, so I figure it's probably a good step if I REALLY want to move forward in art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More pencil nonsense. I ended up with nothing better to do during my breaks in work and school, so I spent my free moments over today and a little yesterday designing this guy. I very, very, VERY rarely dabble in beasts and monsters, so I was just making it up as I went hoping it would still somehow make physical sense. I didn't quite plan it out well enough to fit him all on the paper, but I think I got the gist of the design. I'm trying to flesh out my portfolio a bit and do some things out of the norm, so this made sense.

I actually kind of like him though. I might color it in photoshop later if I don't get distracted on other pieces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    w00t! I feel productive :3 That went faster than I would have thought. I just threw on some color right quick and filled in some missing pieces, so it's not the greatest or cleanest, but I think it gets the point across. I probably should have taken more time for the finer details, like the leaves and vines, but eh. I don't want to spend too much time on a single bit of practice.

That said, I don't think I've worked off scanned images since I first started digital painting forever ago, so this was a bit weird for me. But I'm oddly happy with it for now.

Haha, I normally hate the gentle giant type character with a passion, but somehow, I don't think a fierce expression would suit him at all. Now I should probably go figure out how to draw forests so he'll actually have something to protect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ack, some more decently terrible pencil sketches >_< I might try to reconfigure these a bit in photoshop and give them a little life and color. But otherwise, these are both just a product of a frustrated and stuck mind that couldn't envision anything to draw.

I think I'm going to take a step back and do some more structured, reference practice this weekend, since I'm at that point of constant artists block and frustration with my current skillset. It'd probably be good to have some stuff like that in my portfolio anyways.

Last edited by Zombiphone; May 21st, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After looking at the pencil sketch for long enough, there were a LOT of things that bothered me, so the final story ended up with quite a few rewrites. But I think these proportions do the design I wanted a lot more justice. I wasn't feeling the crawling pose no matter how much I tried to redesign it though, so rather than fret over it, I decided to just scrap it.

Haha, monsters are fun. I don't know why I didn't mess around with this kind of stuff sooner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And a few more random sketches that I'll probably end up tweaking and coloring later. I've been trying to be a little less stylized and a little more realistic as of late, but when all I have time for is some doodles, I keep going back to just making it up from imagination. Probably not the best technical practice, but it's better than nothing, I suppose :/

That said, for a while, I was planning, constructing, and detailing everything purely digitally from start to finish, but being stupidly busy these days, it's been a hell of a lot easier to sketch during breaks in something portable, then come back and clean it up later. I'm kind of enjoying this method

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, we had a "do whatever you want" day at work today, so I ended up grabbing my sketchbook at lunch and doing some more random doodling. I'm still messing around a bit with monsters and I realized I hadn't done anything insecty yet, so that's where this came from.

I want to color this and some of my other sketches, but I seem to have misplaced my tablet pen Hopefully I'll be able to find it before all of memorial day weekend is spent. Bah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a bit on the busy side as of late between work and finals, BUT I finally got around to coloring my insectoid. I was iffy on adding the lightning, but I wanted to show one more way it could theoretically reign down pain and general discomfort on the foolish plebeians. Hopefully it doesn't obstruct the design too much.

I'm going to try to get more done now that I have a brief break between now and the start of Summer semester, but it seems like I constantly have way too much to do even in my down time. Once summer classes start, though, I'll be lucky to have time to breath >_< C'est la vie, I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN. It feels like it's been forever since I finished anything. I'm admittedly kind of sick of messing around in 3D. It's not that fun :/

ANYWAYS, I had a weirdly vivid dream that I was standing in an almost roman courtyard or something, then suddenly, a fleet of fighter jets passed by, only to loop back and attack the courtyard. It just felt so weirdly real that when I woke up, I immediately felt I needed to draw it.

So what better excuse to try to practice a little perspective I still HATE working in geometry and not being allowed to just freehand willy nilly, and, as clearly demonstrated, I can't design a vehicle to save my life, but this was so difficult for me that I actually kind of enjoyed it. I know it's FAR from perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm sort of satisfied with it. Actually, I don't know if I've ever done a piece without a focal character, so this is one for the books for me.

Good day, today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't posted here in a long time due to school and motorcycles being quite busying, but I've still been drawing, so I thought sketch dump was in order. I've been practicing perspective and geometry pretty adamantly lately to.... so so results, but I'll just throw in some various new stuff for the sake of an update:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.